Greetings from Groton, CT

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My original destination plan was Mystic, CT, but about 5 miles away in Groton is a Navy Lodge, where we are happily ensconced for a much lower price tag. It's a LARGE room with 2 queen beds and a kitchenette, off base in the housing area, with a nice walking area for Apollo. It was a pleasant surprise.

Not gonna lie, the reason I wanted to go to Mystic is because of the movie. When you're throwing a dart at a map, that's as good a reason as any. And Mystic did not disappoint. It's a cute little fishing village with a good sized walking/shopping/eating downtown area right on the river. Very picturesque and New England.

We had dinner at Mystic Pizza, where they were smart enough to jump on that movie train and ride it for all it's worth. Mystic is almost literally the Town That Julia Roberts Created. Someone told me that I'd be disappointed because the Mystic pizza is "just pizza", but that's not true. It's a perfect medium crust - not thick like pan pizza and not thin like New York style, it was just right. Very crispy because they're smart enough to serve in in a textured pan that keeps the pie raised up so the crust doesn't get soggy. My 'za had spicy beef, sausage, and mushrooms on it and it had a serious kick. I'm going to have my leftovers for breakfast here shortly and I'm sad because I know that when I heat it up it will only be good, not fabulous like it was last night. They play the movie Mystic Pizza on a loop on all of their TVs.

After dinner we walked Apollo along the downtown until we came to a little pavilion by the water, where the local orchestra was playing for a fairly large crowd. It was like the song Saturday In the Park - a community coming out on a warm Tuesday evening to sit by the water and listen to old show tunes and standards, little kids running around with ice cream on their shirt, neighbors talking to each other, alcohol didn't appear to be a draw or even available.

Afterward we went for the windshield tour and just drove aimlessly to see what's what. UConn has a campus here right on the water (Avery Point) and it is GORGEOUS. Medieval architecture, terrific location, very picturesque. I took a pic of the UConn Police headquarters that I'll post here shortly - it was a whole world away from the cops in Paterson or Newark.

LIFE CHOICES, PEOPLE!!!!! MAKE GOOD ONES!!!!

On the way from NJ we detoured because I needed to see Sleepy Hollow. There wasn't much there, which surprised me, but Tarrytown is adorable! Super cute walky downtown, storybook homes and buildings, it looked like you'd think from the literary descriptions of it.

Not sure what we're doing today. I have to work for awhile, and if nothing important comes across my desk we'll take off and explore.

Last edited:

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
DSCN3375.jpg

DSCN3360.jpg

DSCN3358.jpg

DSCN3366.jpg

DSCN3355.jpg

DSCN3354.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

We're digging your old stomping grounds. :yay:

Today we jumped in the car and roamed. Found Watch Hill, a wealthy enclave with enormous glorious New England style homes on the point and a high end commercial area where all the women looked like aging Muffys right out of an LL Bean catalog; it is right outside of Westerley, RI, which is an adorable little town with a nice downtown area. We had lunch at Sea View, which is a clam shack in Mystic. Split a lobster roll and a carton of whole clams - both were super delicious. I was kind of squeamish about the clams because I like the deep fried rubber band kind, but they weren't squishy at all, so now I'm a fan.

We also went to Stonington, CT and a few other small towns. Had happy hour at Harbour House, which is a fairly schmincy restaurant with a deck overlooking the water. By then it was chilly out and we will remember next time to bring jackets. Our HH snack was lobster crepes - two crepes filled with lobster chunks and doused with a very light creamy sauce.

Connecticut was checked off of our "eat BBQ in all 50 states" goal when we had second snack at Bayou Smokehouse - a couple bones and some pork belly.

The little towns around here are highly walkable. They're charming and distinctive, with cute little homes and downtowns surrounded by a ridiculous overabundance of natural beauty. I'm glad we chose this as our first New England stop - it makes a good impression and I'm excited about this leg of our trip instead of missing Gatlinburg and Panama City Beach.

lovinmaryland

Super cute little town!

Today we jumped in the car and roamed. Found Watch Hill, a wealthy enclave with enormous glorious New England style homes on the point and a high end commercial area where all the women looked like aging Muffys right out of an LL Bean catalog; it is right outside of Westerley, RI, which is an adorable little town with a nice downtown area. We had lunch at Sea View, which is a clam shack in Mystic. Split a lobster roll and a carton of whole clams - both were super delicious. I was kind of squeamish about the clams because I like the deep fried rubber band kind, but they weren't squishy at all, so now I'm a fan.

We also went to Stonington, CT and a few other small towns. Had happy hour at Harbour House, which is a fairly schmincy restaurant with a deck overlooking the water. By then it was chilly out and we will remember next time to bring jackets. Our HH snack was lobster crepes - two crepes filled with lobster chunks and doused with a very light creamy sauce.

Connecticut was checked off of our "eat BBQ in all 50 states" goal when we had second snack at Bayou Smokehouse - a couple bones and some pork belly.

The little towns around here are highly walkable. They're charming and distinctive, with cute little homes and downtowns surrounded by a ridiculous overabundance of natural beauty. I'm glad we chose this as our first New England stop - it makes a good impression and I'm excited about this leg of our trip instead of missing Gatlinburg and Panama City Beach.
I think you guys need to start adding some pictures of the food your eating :smile: Pretty please :flowers:

lucky_bee

RBF expert

I love love LOVEEEE Watch Hill! I'm so glad you found it bc I totally forgot to mention it! We used to go do the wooden carousel there with the rings every summer :bann: I think it's the last of its kind left in the states.

Fun Fact, Taylor Swift lives in one of those mega mansion compounds on the water in Watch Hill :lol:

I've never been to Harbour House before but now I'll definitely have to. I need those Lobster crepes in my life.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think you guys need to start adding some pictures of the food your eating :smile: Pretty please :flowers:

Here's the lobster salad roll and whole clams we had at Sea View in Mystic the other day

DSCN3401.JPG

Yesterday we split a hot lobster roll, which is lobster chunks on a roll with a side of melted butter. My GOD!!! :hot: We also split another order of whole clams, but these had real bellies on them and gagged me out. Blick. Like eating the mustard from a blue crab. I'll stick with the deep fried rubber band clams, thanks.