Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Negro"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Do you have any black friends?
    Do you? And do you ever wave that around as some sort of banner?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Do you? And do you ever wave that around as some sort of banner?
    Was I talking to you?

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Since black people won't tell me, perhaps because they don't know, I did some research myself on why the word "Negro" is considered offensive.

Opinion piece with history by what I presume is a white guy:
    http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blog...erm-negro.html

^^ This whole site is pretty much politically incorrect, but interesting and observant nonetheless.

Scholarly article by the Senior Editor of Ebony magazine, who I presume to be black:
    http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/cour...es/bennett.htm

Interesting how people want to be called one thing or another based on emotion and not on anything historical or rational. The word "negro" has no connotation for me, either negative or positive - I just like the way it sounds as opposed to "black" or the mostly incorrect "African-American". It's a word that sounds rich and almost regal - it means "black" in Spanish, giving it an international flair. But it's no skin off me if black people don't want to take that word and make it their own.

Words and language are interesting to me. They mean something, as in they have a definition, then they get hijacked and turned into something else that has been declared offensive so you get yelled at for saying it. It's hard to keep up and annoying to even try.

Being neither here nor there, above is your history lesson for the day in case you care.
    John McWhorter, an African American linguists and African American studies, explained the phenomena. At first a word is introduced because the group feels the current term has a negative stigma and is offensive. And at first the new term has a neutral feel to. However over a generation it tends to pick up the same negative connations of the word it replaced.

Originally people said people with low IQ's were "mentally handicapped". Over time that term started to pick up negative connations, so advocates for people with low IQ's advocated using the scientific sounded term, retarded. At first that had a neutral feel to it. However, a generation later, if you wanted to put down somebody, you would say "Are you retarded?" It had picked up the same negative connations. And thus advocates for people with a low IQ started advocating for a new term, which is where we are now.

Same thing with African Americans. African Americans is the preferred neutral sounding term. Before that it I think it was negro and colored (I cannot remember if negro replaced colored or vice versa). Over time African Americans will likely feel that the term "African Americans" has a negative connation and come up with a new preferred term.

According to McWhorter, its all natural language change.

For what its worth McWhorter is an interesting character. He is to the left of most of you, but he does have some libertarian leanings and actually accepted an offer to leave Cal Berkeley to work for a conservative think tank for three years. During that time he wrote a well selling book arguing welfare was hurting African American communities. That said he is not a conservative. He has said Trump stinks and said while he had policy disagreements with Obama he much admired and supported him.
    Last edited by philibusters; 06-14-2017 at 04:09 PM.

For something like a week back in the 80s or 90s the preferred term was Afro-American, why did it change so quick?
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Was I talking to you?
    Yes. ;-)
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Have I ever felt a need to identify as a European-American ?
    NO !
    Have I ever met a real Afro-American ?
    YES !
    Twice, and both of them were white !
    happier than a puppy with two weenies

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Maybe because it was the name the people who ensalved them gave them once they couldn't call them the N word in polite society anymore. Maybe it is because they felt more comfortable with something they felt they could choose themselves like Black or African American.
    That guess is as good as mine I suppose, but you called me racist, Are you racist for having an opinion?

I'm an American.......so I must be related to all of the .....XXXXX-Americans
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    Look up the word Homophone

It might help
    It's not a homophone, it's the same word used in multiple ways.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    It's not a homophone, it's the same word used in multiple ways.
    That's what a homophone is. The same word pronounced in different ways.

It can have multiple meanings

Members who have read this thread: 108