"Negro"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Since black people won't tell me, perhaps because they don't know, I did some research myself on why the word "Negro" is considered offensive.

Opinion piece with history by what I presume is a white guy:
http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2011/02/76-term-negro.html

^^ This whole site is pretty much politically incorrect, but interesting and observant nonetheless.

Scholarly article by the Senior Editor of Ebony magazine, who I presume to be black:
http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas102 (spring 01)/articles/names/bennett.htm

Interesting how people want to be called one thing or another based on emotion and not on anything historical or rational. The word "negro" has no connotation for me, either negative or positive - I just like the way it sounds as opposed to "black" or the mostly incorrect "African-American". It's a word that sounds rich and almost regal - it means "black" in Spanish, giving it an international flair. But it's no skin off me if black people don't want to take that word and make it their own.

Words and language are interesting to me. They mean something, as in they have a definition, then they get hijacked and turned into something else that has been declared offensive so you get yelled at for saying it. It's hard to keep up and annoying to even try.

Being neither here nor there, above is your history lesson for the day in case you care. :yay:

Sapidus

From the 18th century to the late 1960s, negro (later capitalized) was considered to be the proper English-language term for people of black African origin. According to Oxford Dictionaries, use of the word "now seems out of date or even offensive in both British and US English".[3]

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
From the 18th century to the late 1960s, negro (later capitalized) was considered to be the proper English-language term for people of black African origin. According to Oxford Dictionaries, use of the word "now seems out of date or even offensive in both British and US English".[3]

Good to see your Google still works, even if your quote function does not.

Hijinx

I would guess they dislike the word Negro because if you say it fast it comes out ###### too easily.

Sapidus

I would guess they dislike the word Negro because if you say it fast it comes out ###### too easily.

And in another thread you are all complaining that someone dared say Trump voters were racist yet here you all are. What a bunch of hypocrites

Hijinx

And in another thread you are all complaining that someone dared say Trump voters were racist yet here you all are. What a bunch of hypocrites

I only gave what I thought was a perfectly good reason for blacks not liking the Negro word.
My thought had nothing to do with racism, only with an opinion.

Now if you have a better opinion of why they don't like the word. Let's hear it.

Sapidus

I only gave what I thought was a perfectly good reason for blacks not liking the Negro word.
My thought had nothing to do with racism, only with an opinion.

Now if you have a better opinion of why they don't like the word. Let's hear it.

Maybe because it was the name the people who ensalved them gave them once they couldn't call them the N word in polite society anymore. Maybe it is because they felt more comfortable with something they felt they could choose themselves like Black or African American.

black dog

Free America

If I can't use the word negro any longer, how do I order all of my printer cartridges when the lady on the phone speaks better Spanish than English?
And why does Canon still use Negro on the box that black cartridges come in?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

In England, negro and 'that other, very, very, very bad word', have been replaced with "nig-nog". That's what blacks are called over there. Personally, I think I'm gonna start promoting the term, "non-white" from now on. Can't go wrong with that, right?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
So does this mean of I want a beer with my Mexican dinner, from now on I have to order an African-Mexican Modelo?

Hank

my war
Since black people won't tell me, perhaps because they don't know, I did some research myself on why the word "Negro" is considered offensive.

Opinion piece with history by what I presume is a white guy:
http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/2011/02/76-term-negro.html

^^ This whole site is pretty much politically incorrect, but interesting and observant nonetheless.

Scholarly article by the Senior Editor of Ebony magazine, who I presume to be black:
http://www.virginia.edu/woodson/courses/aas102 (spring 01)/articles/names/bennett.htm

Interesting how people want to be called one thing or another based on emotion and not on anything historical or rational. The word "negro" has no connotation for me, either negative or positive - I just like the way it sounds as opposed to "black" or the mostly incorrect "African-American". It's a word that sounds rich and almost regal - it means "black" in Spanish, giving it an international flair. But it's no skin off me if black people don't want to take that word and make it their own.

Words and language are interesting to me. They mean something, as in they have a definition, then they get hijacked and turned into something else that has been declared offensive so you get yelled at for saying it. It's hard to keep up and annoying to even try.

Being neither here nor there, above is your history lesson for the day in case you care. :yay:

Do you have any black friends?