Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any minute now it will collapse into it's own footprint, yup, any minute.

I don't know what the building was constructed of. What I have learned from reading about it is that it was under renovation. It had no sprinklers and only one stairway to use for escape. No telling what the people working there had left in that stairway or stored for use in another area.

It seems impossible that a building like this was allowed to be built without sprinklers and only one way out.

Looks like Lightroasted doesn't want to talk about science any more.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    I don't know what the building was constructed of. What I have learned from reading about it is that it was under renovation. It had no sprinklers and only one stairway to use for escape. No telling what the people working there had left in that stairway or stored for use in another area.

It seems impossible that a building like this was allowed to be built without sprinklers and only one way out.
    People said the fire brigades told the inhabitants to remain in their apartments until they could be rescued. Many will be found dead in their apartments once the authorities can begin searching.
    “In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act” - Geo Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
    People said the fire brigades told the inhabitants to remain in their apartments until they could be rescued. Many will be found dead in their apartments once the authorities can begin searching.
    That is the correct instruction for a fire that involves only one or two units. By telling inhabitants to stay in their apartments you keep the stairwell available to bring firefighters in and out. Once the whole curtain wall was lit up and fire was spreading to multiple floors, a general evacuation should have been ordered much earlier in the process. Whoever was in charge of that incident is going to get some uncomfortable questions.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

Fire engulfs 27-story building built in 1974.

Looks like it's still standing. And here I thought fire melted steel. Silly me.
    What DOES melt steel? Phasers? Or are they found in nature shaped like buildings?
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

This is interesting...looks like this was largely Al Gore's fault..

However, building residents and experts have warned about the fire risks of cladding for years. A blog post by the Grenfell Action Group in November 2016 warned that “only a catastrophic event” would bring attention to the building’s issue.

Government officials cautioned against the risks of cladding since at least 1999, according to The Telegraph.
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/15/de..._medium=Social
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    This is interesting...looks like this was largely Al Gore's fault..

The Telegraph noted that cladding “is used as an insulation to make buildings more sustainable to meet green energy requirements.” Some 30,000 buildings in the U.K. have been retrofitted with cladding to cheaply comply with green energy mandates.

They will never admit that ..... only that ENOUGH Money wasn't spent
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    They will never admit that ..... only that ENOUGH Money wasn't spent
    Lookit all the energy they saved though....before the whole thing went up.

I'm seeing reports coming in about the death toll rising dramatically as they gain access to more of the structure. Officially 30 and potentially over 100....!
    Last edited by Gilligan; 06-16-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Lookit all the energy they saved though....before the whole thing went up.
    Well, now that it burned up, they certainly released a bunch of greenhouse gases.

The cladding comes in three varieties
    - polyethylene core (cheapest)
    -polyisocyanate core ($2 more/m2, somewhat flame retardant)
    -mineral core

The refurb was specd to use polyisocyanate an tumescent fire-breaks between the floors.
    I expect that we will find that someone at the construction company substituted the cheap PE core stuff and bribed the council inspector to sign off on it.
    I'm seeing reports coming in about the death toll rising dramatically as they gain access to more of the structure. Officially 30 and potentially over 100....!
    Sacrificed to the gods of 'sustainability'.

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    Looks like Lightroasted doesn't want to talk about science any more.
    Almost a case of rendition. I was walking down the street when a van pulled up and two big fellows out of nowhere pushed me into the darkened interior just as the door opened up. Immediately a black hood was placed over my head. I couldn't see anything, (It's not like in the movies). After a short drive that seemed like an eternity, the van stopped and the door opened. I was pulled out and walked, between those to big fellas, to a room. I was slammed into a chair and tightly secured with heavy duty zip ties. That's all I am allowed to say. They are not nice people. Anyway ...... I'm back.

First off, those towers were built to withstand the very thing that happened, jet fuel and all. Aeroplanes are just one long aluminum alloy tube with the densest items being the engines. Any amount of fuel, that wasn't dispersed into the air or as a fireball, after impact, was quickly consumed. There just wasn't enough time, for the jet fuel to bend, warp, weaken, fatigue, those steel beams to the point of failure. Also, there was nowhere near the damage or fire with building 7. Explain that one. Not political. Not conspiratorial. Just observational. The size of the building is not relevant because it's construction size is relative to the construction of a taller building. That building was fully engulfed for hours. Nearly the entire structure was burning extremely hot for hours. Yet it still stands. Just making comparisons. Relative to size and all.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Members who have read this thread: 79