Taking cover

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'm going to post this at the risk of being disparaged, but here it goes...

The congress members were lucky they had immediate LE and security to respond to the shooting in Alexandria. Suppose it had been an ordinary baseball park with ordinary citizens practicing? Sitting ducks! No one to immediately respond. No guns. The only thing to preserve life is to rely on someone to be brave enough to try to take the gunman down. But the assumed position is to 'take cover'. Now I don't blame people for taking cover. But, there is no fight in Americans.

I work on a military base. We routinely have 'active shooter' exercises. The first action is to take cover and lock down. On a military base; where folks are trained to fight. This has become the standard everywhere - take cover, hide, barricade... I reject this response. I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I came across a shooter. I'm no big, brave hero thumping my chest. But I'm also not going to cower just to be helpless getting killed. I'm going to try to do something.

Now, there are more threats coming out to shoot republicans. I have no idea if those threats are real, but I certainly plan to take it seriously. Is this going to be our new norm? Have we now entered into a new phase of this anti-Trump hatred; something I have been waiting to see if it will happen? Are folks going to start thinking about what they would do in these situations? Rather than take cover and wait for LE to save you, actually do something?

3CATSAILOR

The congress members were lucky they had immediate LE and security to respond to the shooting in Alexandria. Suppose it had been an ordinary baseball park with ordinary citizens practicing? Sitting ducks! No one to immediately respond. No guns. The only thing to preserve life is to rely on someone to be brave enough to try to take the gunman down. But the assumed position is to 'take cover'. Now I don't blame people for taking cover. But, there is no fight in Americans.

I work on a military base. We routinely have 'active shooter' exercises. The first action is to take cover and lock down. On a military base; where folks are trained to fight. This has become the standard everywhere - take cover, hide, barricade... I reject this response. I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I came across a shooter. I'm no big, brave hero thumping my chest. But I'm also not going to cower just to be helpless getting killed. I'm going to try to do something.

Now, there are more threats coming out to shoot republicans. I have no idea if those threats are real, but I certainly plan to take it seriously. Is this going to be our new norm? Have we now entered into a new phase of this anti-Trump hatred; something I have been waiting to see if it will happen? Are folks going to start thinking about what they would do in these situations? Rather than take cover and wait for LE to save you, actually do something?

It is interesting to see throughout history what Party is more associated with violence and or drugs, as well as getting rid of guns for those who want to protect themselves.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It is interesting to see throughout history what Party is more associated with violence and or drugs, as well as getting rid of guns for those who want to protect themselves.

And I assume this Hodgkinson idiot being a huge Sanders follower would be all for gun control. How ironic.

littlelady

God bless the USA

:yay: Very good food for thought. The only reason that more were not killed today is because Scalise had security. So, let me think..., libs want to take away our guns, so we can't defend ourselves from sudden attacks. But, they are protected by gun toting whoevers. Oh, ok. Makes sense to me. Not. And, now the libs are crying out for more gun control. Idiots! Every single one of them. Yeah, you, too Bernie Sanders.

glhs837

Power with Control
And I assume this Hodgkinson idiot being a huge Sanders follower would be all for gun control. How ironic.

Quote from the bimmerforums....

Thank goodness it was a lefty with a gun. People could have been killed.

But to the original point. I agree, cowering in a corner waiting for a bullet seems like a losing sum game, and I know there are others in my building who feel the same way. A firearm isnt magic wand of death, it's not a ray gun.

PeoplesElbow

I would say it is a bit hard to fight when the person doing the shooting can't be seen and is probably 50 ft or more away with a rifle.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I would say it is a bit hard to fight when the person doing the shooting can't be seen and is probably 50 ft or more away with a rifle.

Everyone I watched that was being interviewed, that was there said they knew which direction it was coming from. One guy (don't remember who) said they were all hiding in the dugout, if Hodgkinson had been able to break through the entrance to the field and made his way over to them, they were all sitting ducks; there would have been nothing they could do. It seems hiding like this isn't the best option. They were all very lucky this guy didn't plan things out a little better.

Wishbone

Part of what I heard last night included the information that the gate to the ball field was locked, so he was forced to attack from outside. That same lock kept those inside from leaving or taking the fight to him, as they'd be vulnerable for however long it took the key holder to get the gates open.

This_person

I am personally in favor of things like the castle doctrine. I am personally strongly opposed to laws that assume your philosophy should be hide and cower instead of standing your ground.

I don't personally understand why the president, Speaker, Majority/Minority Leaders, Whips, etc., get special protection. They are NOT "super citizens". They shouldn't get super protections at our expense.

This_person

Saw this just now - thought it fit.

I_Am_A_Big_Fan_Of_Safe_Spaces.jpg

Hijinx

Guns make for a polite society. I know when the shooting starts that I want mine.
The thought of being disarmed against someone with a gun shooting at me is a bit unsettling.

If the Police had not been at the scene this could have been a slaughter.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Guns make for a polite society. I know when the shooting starts that I want mine.
The thought of being disarmed against someone with a gun shooting at me is a bit unsettling.

If the Police had not been at the scene this could have been a slaughter.

They were trapped inside a ball field; just like the nightclub shooting in Orlando and the San Bernardino shooting. With no weapon to combat them, you have two choices - which will not glean good results - try to fight back, or cower behind something, and hope you don't get shot. It's impossible for me to think that this is where we are in our society; that we've allowed our government to render us helpless. And there are those demanding more of it.

Hijinx

They were trapped inside a ball field; just like the nightclub shooting in Orlando and the San Bernardino shooting. With no weapon to combat them, you have two choices - which will not glean good results - try to fight back, or cower behind something, and hope you don't get shot. It's impossible for me to think that this is where we are in our society; that we've allowed our government to render us helpless. And there are those demanding more of it.

It all has to do with our Government making us Dependent on them.

PeoplesElbow

Would anyone here actually carry while actively playing baseball? There are a lot of situations where I do not want to carry simply because it is a pain in the ass.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

Yesterday on NPR, Congresswoman Val Demings (an ex-cop from Orlando, FL) responded to a Republican Congressman who said "The best defense against a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun." Her gun-grabbing comment was to the effect, Yes, there were police officers and Secret Service members there. Thinking she had made an anti-gun argument, I said to myself "Yes, a good guy immediately present." You cannot guarantee a police officer or secret service agent will be immediately present when the bad guy with a gun shows up.

glhs837

Power with Control
Would anyone here actually carry while actively playing baseball? There are a lot of situations where I do not want to carry simply because it is a pain in the ass.

I would think someone who carries might keep the weapon in a bag in the dugout or a vehicle nearby.