Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Taking cover

  1. #1

    Taking cover

    I'm going to post this at the risk of being disparaged, but here it goes...

    The congress members were lucky they had immediate LE and security to respond to the shooting in Alexandria. Suppose it had been an ordinary baseball park with ordinary citizens practicing? Sitting ducks! No one to immediately respond. No guns. The only thing to preserve life is to rely on someone to be brave enough to try to take the gunman down. But the assumed position is to 'take cover'. Now I don't blame people for taking cover. But, there is no fight in Americans.

    I work on a military base. We routinely have 'active shooter' exercises. The first action is to take cover and lock down. On a military base; where folks are trained to fight. This has become the standard everywhere - take cover, hide, barricade... I reject this response. I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I came across a shooter. I'm no big, brave hero thumping my chest. But I'm also not going to cower just to be helpless getting killed. I'm going to try to do something.

    Now, there are more threats coming out to shoot republicans. I have no idea if those threats are real, but I certainly plan to take it seriously. Is this going to be our new norm? Have we now entered into a new phase of this anti-Trump hatred; something I have been waiting to see if it will happen? Are folks going to start thinking about what they would do in these situations? Rather than take cover and wait for LE to save you, actually do something?
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    I'm going to post this at the risk of being disparaged, but here it goes...

    The congress members were lucky they had immediate LE and security to respond to the shooting in Alexandria. Suppose it had been an ordinary baseball park with ordinary citizens practicing? Sitting ducks! No one to immediately respond. No guns. The only thing to preserve life is to rely on someone to be brave enough to try to take the gunman down. But the assumed position is to 'take cover'. Now I don't blame people for taking cover. But, there is no fight in Americans.

    I work on a military base. We routinely have 'active shooter' exercises. The first action is to take cover and lock down. On a military base; where folks are trained to fight. This has become the standard everywhere - take cover, hide, barricade... I reject this response. I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I came across a shooter. I'm no big, brave hero thumping my chest. But I'm also not going to cower just to be helpless getting killed. I'm going to try to do something.

    Now, there are more threats coming out to shoot republicans. I have no idea if those threats are real, but I certainly plan to take it seriously. Is this going to be our new norm? Have we now entered into a new phase of this anti-Trump hatred; something I have been waiting to see if it will happen? Are folks going to start thinking about what they would do in these situations? Rather than take cover and wait for LE to save you, actually do something?
    It is interesting to see throughout history what Party is more associated with violence and or drugs, as well as getting rid of guns for those who want to protect themselves.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    It is interesting to see throughout history what Party is more associated with violence and or drugs, as well as getting rid of guns for those who want to protect themselves.
    And I assume this Hodgkinson idiot being a huge Sanders follower would be all for gun control. How ironic.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 3CATSAILOR View Post
    It is interesting to see throughout history what Party is more associated with violence and or drugs, as well as getting rid of guns for those who want to protect themselves.
    Very good food for thought. The only reason that more were not killed today is because Scalise had security. So, let me think..., libs want to take away our guns, so we can't defend ourselves from sudden attacks. But, they are protected by gun toting whoevers. Oh, ok. Makes sense to me. Not. And, now the libs are crying out for more gun control. Idiots! Every single one of them. Yeah, you, too Bernie Sanders.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

  5. #5
    Power with Control glhs837's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    19,494
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    And I assume this Hodgkinson idiot being a huge Sanders follower would be all for gun control. How ironic.
    Quote from the bimmerforums....

    Thank goodness it was a lefty with a gun. People could have been killed.
    But to the original point. I agree, cowering in a corner waiting for a bullet seems like a losing sum game, and I know there are others in my building who feel the same way. A firearm isnt magic wand of death, it's not a ray gun.
    "I aim to misbehave."

  6. #6
    Registered User PeoplesElbow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Smackdown hotel
    Posts
    4,879
    I would say it is a bit hard to fight when the person doing the shooting can't be seen and is probably 50 ft or more away with a rifle.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    I would say it is a bit hard to fight when the person doing the shooting can't be seen and is probably 50 ft or more away with a rifle.
    Everyone I watched that was being interviewed, that was there said they knew which direction it was coming from. One guy (don't remember who) said they were all hiding in the dugout, if Hodgkinson had been able to break through the entrance to the field and made his way over to them, they were all sitting ducks; there would have been nothing they could do. It seems hiding like this isn't the best option. They were all very lucky this guy didn't plan things out a little better.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

  8. #8
    Part of what I heard last night included the information that the gate to the ball field was locked, so he was forced to attack from outside. That same lock kept those inside from leaving or taking the fight to him, as they'd be vulnerable for however long it took the key holder to get the gates open.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    I'm going to post this at the risk of being disparaged, but here it goes...

    The congress members were lucky they had immediate LE and security to respond to the shooting in Alexandria. Suppose it had been an ordinary baseball park with ordinary citizens practicing? Sitting ducks! No one to immediately respond. No guns. The only thing to preserve life is to rely on someone to be brave enough to try to take the gunman down. But the assumed position is to 'take cover'. Now I don't blame people for taking cover. But, there is no fight in Americans.

    I work on a military base. We routinely have 'active shooter' exercises. The first action is to take cover and lock down. On a military base; where folks are trained to fight. This has become the standard everywhere - take cover, hide, barricade... I reject this response. I am constantly thinking about what I would do if I came across a shooter. I'm no big, brave hero thumping my chest. But I'm also not going to cower just to be helpless getting killed. I'm going to try to do something.

    Now, there are more threats coming out to shoot republicans. I have no idea if those threats are real, but I certainly plan to take it seriously. Is this going to be our new norm? Have we now entered into a new phase of this anti-Trump hatred; something I have been waiting to see if it will happen? Are folks going to start thinking about what they would do in these situations? Rather than take cover and wait for LE to save you, actually do something?
    I am personally in favor of things like the castle doctrine. I am personally strongly opposed to laws that assume your philosophy should be hide and cower instead of standing your ground.

    I don't personally understand why the president, Speaker, Majority/Minority Leaders, Whips, etc., get special protection. They are NOT "super citizens". They shouldn't get super protections at our expense.
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

  10. #10
    Saw this just now - thought it fit.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	I_Am_A_Big_Fan_Of_Safe_Spaces.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	118895
    There are only two possibilities; one is that we are alone in the universe, the other is that we are not.
    Both are terrifying.

Members who have read this thread: 80

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |