The hourly wage needed to rent a two-bedroom home in every state

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In Maryland, for example, the average two-bedroom costs $1,470 per month, according to HUD's Fair Market Rents estimates. To sign a lease, a renter would need to earn $28.27 per hour, even though the state's hourly minimum wage is stuck at $8.75.

but can you then afford the light and water .... maybe gas

what about groceries and Obamacare

DEEKAYPEE8569

I looked for the fine print on the website but didn't see anything about those additional and necessary expenses. These charts don't factor that kinda stuff in. We all know that. All the more reason to be in a hurry to get outta Maryland. I'm hoping to be able to within the next year or two. :fingerscrossed:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I looked for the fine print on the website but didn't see anything about those additional and necessary expenses. These charts don't factor that kinda stuff in. We all know that. All the more reason to be in a hurry to get outta Maryland. I'm hoping to be able to within the next year or two. :fingerscrossed:

We were hoping to move to either GA, TN, or ID within the next three years. Now it seems more like eight so I can collect my full pension. :ohwell:

DEEKAYPEE8569

We were hoping to move to either GA, TN, or ID within the next three years. Now it seems more like eight so I can collect my full pension. :ohwell:
With regard to your pension; from what I understand, Tennessee, doesn't tax it. I'm not clear on all the details. Depending on what your research unveils, you might want to consider moving to TN.

stgislander

PREMO Member
It seems like the States get their cut one way or another. No income tax, but high property and/or sales taxes, or vice versa. You just have to compare your specific situation against what the State you are interested in is doing.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Before you pick Tennessee, take a good look at the property taxes....

Northern Georgia is #1 on the list so unless we find a deal breaker, we will end up there more than likely. We picked TN because we've gone to Gatlinburg area numerous times and we enjoy the mountains. No matter where we end up, we will get screwed one way or another so it's more about the location than anything.

Chris0nllyn

The graphic in the article says, "The displayed wage represents what a full-time hourly worker must earn to rent a two-bedroom home in their state without paying more than 30% of their income."

PeoplesElbow

Sort of stupid to do it by state, take the most extreme example of California. In the LA area it is going to take at least 4x the hourly wage as it would in say Ridgecrest to rent the same house. Even in our small state of Maryland Allegheny county is a #### ton cheaper than Montgomery county.