Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And while we remain eternally distracted...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    We have so poorly weighed the benefit/risk factor. We have been in the mideast for nearly 16 years now, and it has only gained us more chaos and death there. We have gained not one benefit for our blood. I loathe thinking about getting mixed up with a country like China, given how we are fighting wars these days.
    But always remember that old saw..you seldom get to "pick" the wars you have to fight. We can pretend that China taking over all of "their half" of the world isn't of concern to us (and people like Chris will always vigorously pretend exactly that) , and I double-guarantee you that is exactly what we will do as a country too, but those chickens always come home to roost eventually.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

We have so poorly weighed the benefit/risk factor. We have been in the mideast for nearly 16 years now, and it has only gained us more chaos and death there. We have gained not one benefit for our blood. I loathe thinking about getting mixed up with a country like China, given how we are fighting wars these days.
    So do you think our military spending and 1000+ nuclear warheads are too much? What is the point of increasing spending if we aren't going to use it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushy23 View Post
    So do you think our military spending and 1000+ nuclear warheads are too much? What is the point of increasing spending if we aren't going to use it!!
    That's like saying... you bought a pickup truck but never load anything in the back of it.

The one thing I will agree with is, our founders never intended for a standing army. But, in today's world, I suppose it's necessary. I have been consistent in this forum in stating that if we're going to go to foreign lands and execute war against them, we need to do it to win, and not settle for some policing objective. Our government seems to think our military are there to fight for a cause they determine necessary for the ballot box, and forget that actual people are sent to die. And we come out of these conflicts in more chaos than when we went in. Everything we're doing is having the opposite effect, and it only serves to spit in the faces of our men and women who died or got injured trying win.

So yes, I think we're spending too much on losing causes.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

That's like saying... you bought a pickup truck but never load anything in the back of it.

The one thing I will agree with is, our founders never intended for a standing army.
    But they learned in the next war that you can't defend a nation just by relying on militias, even if you think they're supposed to be training themselves.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

The one thing I will agree with is, our founders never intended for a standing army.

Past Time to Pullout of Europe ...
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    Past Time to Pullout of Europe ...
    Now I know that you know the pullout technique ain't 100% effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    ...some things happening in the rest of the world should probably concern us more.

http://www.americanthinker.com/artic...th_to_war.html
    Vietnam is probably like, "Bring it, biatches! Remember what happened in 1979?"
    "Conservatism is the new counter culture." - Lola Lee - youtuber

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushy23 View Post
    That IS the point. It's practically the entire point, in fact.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BOP View Post
    Vietnam is probably like, "Bring it, biatches! Remember what happened in 1979?"
    LOL. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    But always remember that old saw..you seldom get to "pick" the wars you have to fight. We can pretend that China taking over all of "their half" of the world isn't of concern to us (and people like Chris will always vigorously pretend exactly that) , and I double-guarantee you that is exactly what we will do as a country too, but those chickens always come home to roost eventually.
    I'm not saying we aren't justified going into these wars. What I am saying is we have lost our will to win wars. Once the public became aware of how horribly messy they are, they just don't have the stomach for it. WWII we were able to fight with autonomy. Killing everything in our path was necessary to winning. And the American people were shielded from this reality.

What I am saying is, I don't want to get into another conflict unless I know we are 100% in - WWII in. Get the media out! And WIN!
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Members who have read this thread: 59