Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy destroyer collides with huge cargo ship.

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkd View Post
    Initial reports from the investigation are faulting the Fitzgerald.

http://www.wxii12.com/article/initia...ision/10339277
    Even if the tanker was actively trying to ram the destroyer it would be their fault. There is no scenario that has the watchstanders doing their jobs that allow a tanker within a mile in open water. CIC should have them on radar, starboard lookout should have them with binoculars and the OOD should have them on the radio ascertaining their intentions.
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin99 View Post
    Even if the tanker was actively trying to ram the destroyer it would be their fault. There is no scenario that has the watchstanders doing their jobs that allow a tanker within a mile in open water. CIC should have them on radar, starboard lookout should have them with binoculars and the OOD should have them on the radio ascertaining their intentions.
    I can't even imagine what was happening on the bridge of the Fitzgerald that allowed this to happen.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Several somebodies careers are over no doubt. Not to mention legal judgements.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

"The report said that although some in Berthing 2 heard a loud noise at the time of the collision or were thrown from their beds by the force of the impact, some did not realize what had happened and remained in bed. Some remained asleep."

Damn! WTF does it take to wake them?

Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post
    "The report said that although some in Berthing 2 heard a loud noise at the time of the collision or were thrown from their beds by the force of the impact, some did not realize what had happened and remained in bed. Some remained asleep."

My father use to joke about sleeping through one of the biggest air raids on Naples on the forward deck of his boat.
    Society of Man

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishbone View Post

Sounds like a real heavy night on the town before checking in. During my cruising days on board USS Worden CG-18 in '75-76, out of Yokouska, (we made that same track inbound and outbound many times) my rack was about a foot below the waterline just aft of midship starboard side, and I was always keenly aware, even while sleeping, of any sound or motion that seemed unusual. Perhaps my greatest fear was being in my bunk if water came into the compartment.

Sad story for all involved, especially leadership on that ship.
    Last edited by b23hqb; 08-19-2017 at 10:01 AM.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

Visualize whirled peas Merlin99's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Sounds like the skipper is lucky to be alive to be relieved of command.

The berthing cabin of the ship flooded within 90 seconds of impact and many sailors behaved heroically to save the ship from sinking. The captain, at one point, was hanging onto the side of the ship and had to be rescued by the crew. His cabin was directly impacted by the collision with the cargo ship.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...-japan-n793746
    ‎"I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake"

Quote Originally Posted by b23hqb View Post

Sad story for all involved, especially leadership on that ship.
    The leadership is going to see some discipline and maybe retire. My sadness is reserved for the families of the 7 sailors who lost their life in berthing 2 and for their fellow sailors who couldn't rescue them.

Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    The leadership is going to see some discipline and maybe retire. My sadness is reserved for the families of the 7 sailors who lost their life in berthing 2 and for their fellow sailors who couldn't rescue them.
    You can't stay on track. You are all over the place. The reason I say that is that I have never seen 'heart' in any of you posts, since I have been a member here. Just an observation.
    Last edited by littlelady; 08-20-2017 at 01:56 AM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Members who have read this thread: 80