Has anybody ever lived in Salisbury?

zar

Theist
I was surprised to find it listed as 7th of the cheapest places to live in MD. I love it here but it's just too expensive for the long term, I figured at the peak of my earning I'll be making 60k and I don't get plan on getting married as of now. Renting a decent 1 bedroom here would take half my monthly income. My question is what's the catch besides limited job fields (my field is universal)? I've only been there once but it seems nice.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Other than the college...there isn't much there..job wise. Salisbury and Cambridge have both been economically challenged for many years. That's why the cost of living is lower.

Last edited:

zar

Theist
Oh I reread that and see that now.

Personally if I wanted to live someplace similar but cheaper I would go across the other body of water into Virginia around Tappahannock.

Not a bad idea, I had Maryland tunnel vision. I probably won't make the move within the next 6 months so I'll have time to research and explore. My objective would to shell out cash for a tiny house, I have simple needs in general (financial security is my number one motivation, I can expand to bigger and better things when I have the means to ). Here you could easily spend 50g after four years of renting a low end 1 bedroom.. it makes no sense for my goals. This makes the area absolutely negotiable. My only condition would be that I won't live anywhere that reminds me of lexington park or waldorf.

Last edited:

MR47930

I went to Salisbury University and outside of the college area the town is pretty much a ghetto s-hole. Some nicer parts, but if you're looking for cheap rent you'll be in the not-so-nice areas. Fruitland and surrounding areas are a little less populated and you could potentially find a nice quite place for rent down there.

zar

Theist
I went to Salisbury University and outside of the college area the town is pretty much a ghetto s-hole. Some nicer parts, but if you're looking for cheap rent you'll be in the not-so-nice areas. Fruitland and surrounding areas are a little less populated and you could potentially find a nice quite place for rent down there.

Wow, I had no idea how bad it was with the crime. Does this sound like correct information based off your experience (From city data). It doesn't seem like you can really live in a paradise no matter where you go though. I mean we have lexington park/great mills, not so nice. Calvert is probably the best, any bad areas? and Charles and PG goes without saying, high crime.

Pocomoke City.
Berlin.
Snow Hill.
Trappe.
Princess Anne.
Delmar.
Crisfield.

I had to step out for a bit.
What I listed are all incorporated municipalities, most local government in Maryland is County based not municipalities. You will pay a bit higher property tax in a municipality when adding in County taxes.

The school systems are also County based. School systems on the Eastern Shore generally rank in the lower half of Maryland rankings.

Be aware that the Eastern Shore is incredibly rural so even living in a town you will likely have to drive for shopping. Even groceries if you're used to massive stores with a multitude of selections.

Salisbury is OK and not the 7th Circle of Hell some posters may make it out to be. It does, however, have a higher crime rate than you'd expect for a relatively small rural town. Some of that is driven by the college.

The Shore, like many areas across the US, is going through issues related to opioid use and abuse.

Did I mention the Eastern Shore is really rural?

Chris0nllyn

Calvert is probably the best, any bad areas? and Charles and PG goes without saying, high crime.

In Calvert: Ranch Club, White Sands, Chespeake/North Beach, and certain places in Prince Frederick (Calvert Towne, Silverwood neighborhoods, for example) but it seems to be more petty crime.

Charles has some nice areas well outside of Waldorf.

PG also has nice areas, mainly along Croom Rd., but I don't know enough about the area.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
In Calvert: Ranch Club, White Sands, Chespeake/North Beach, and certain places in Prince Frederick (Calvert Towne, Silverwood neighborhoods, for example) but it seems to be more petty crime.

Charles has some nice areas well outside of Waldorf.

PG also has nice areas, mainly along Croom Rd., but I don't know enough about the area.

In your list of bad areas in Calvert you forgot to mention Dunkirk and Solomon's, both of which have higher per capita crime rates, in every category, than either of the Beaches.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
In your list of bad areas in Calvert you forgot to mention Dunkirk and Solomon's, both of which have higher per capita crime rates, in every category, than either of the Beaches.

Phew! So the county my relatives founded in the 1650s has completely gone to hell, you say. We shoulda held on to it. ;-)

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Phew! So the county my relatives founded in the 1650s has completely gone to hell, you say. We shoulda held on to it. ;-)

I didn't say that. Well, the "call the police if you hear a gunshot" crowd is here as well as the ones who complain about watermen pulling crab pots and those who call 911 to report a HazMat situation if they see pollen floating in a puddle.

On second thought, maybe it has.

zar

Theist
I didn't say that. Well, the "call the police if you hear a gunshot" crowd is here as well as the ones who complain about watermen pulling crab pots and those who call 911 to report a HazMat situation if they see pollen floating in a puddle.

On second thought, maybe it has.

Very true, come to think of it I never knew about crime in great mills until I started reading somdnewsnet. Been going to the 24 hour gym for years at late times and never had a problem. Never had a problem in north beach either. I may be over thinking the whole thing.

Last edited: