Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: backyard shooting range

No criminal statute for target shooting, though the St. Mary's State's Attorney has indicated that he thinks a civil violation against a sport shooting range might apply (if you have crappy neighbors). This was on the St. Mary's Sheriff's blogsite - http://firstsheriff.blogspot.com/201...to-target.html

Lets hope its not planned for a 1/3 acre lot in a subdivision.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    ...I've talked to mt neighbors and shown them what planning I've done.
    And that right there is the key. Talk to the neighbors beforehand, so they don't wig out not knowing what's going on.

That's helpful, thank you!

Nope. Plenty of space.

Quote Originally Posted by paxnewbie View Post
    Nope. Plenty of space.
    My place is 8 acres. That does nothing to stop the calls. Just sayin...
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    My place is 8 acres. That does nothing to stop the calls. Just sayin...

Yeah, but you are sort of surrounded by weekending city folks, being waterfront
    "I aim to misbehave."

[QUOTE=paxnewbie;5779859]Does anyone know of the laws re: target shooting in one's own backyard? Is there a minimum distance from the next house? Minimum acreage? We mostly shoot a 9mm at empty bottles and a target.
    The family that would shoot are certified military marksmen (or whatever the vernacular is)

Thx[/QUOT

With something that has the potential liability, personal injury, and criminal issues like target shooting, I seriously doubt I would ask SOMD.com forumites for advice. I would go to your county sheriffs office (And SP maybe) and get their input (in writing).

If you ask the forum, just pick the response you like best and go with it...... Good luck.
    I demand rights for left-handed people!

[QUOTE=limblips

Thx[/QUOT

With something that has the potential liability, personal injury, and criminal issues like target shooting, I seriously doubt I would ask SOMD.com forumites for advice. I would go to your county sheriffs office (And SP maybe) and get their input (in writing).

If you ask the forum, just pick the response you like best and go with it...... Good luck.[/QUOTE]

You would not have liked to live near me...
    I lived next to Dotsonville for better than 10 years, we shot there 3 to 4 times a month.
    Only had two visits from the law in that time, both times the Deputys and Trooper took a few autos for a spin before they left.
    There is a reason to live outside of the City Limits, being able to shoot on your own property is one of them.
    Last edited by black dog; 06-18-2017 at 08:42 PM.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenhawk View Post
    And that right there is the key. Talk to the neighbors beforehand, so they don't wig out not knowing what's going on.
    Yes, but MoCo and NoVa weekenders........no brains.
    Went to court two years ago...St. Marys....a retired MoCo judge said "I know how you good old boys behave down here...you just have to learn that people not from here do not understand and you need to be accommodating"
    When you lie down with dogs, you're going to get fleas....

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    How is it that you don't see how crazy you sound when you do this?

Members who have read this thread: 124