Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: backyard shooting range

When we lived in Calvert, our next door neighbor had a mini farm. Wonderful people. Home schooled, 4-H, deeply religious, and very awesome. They had a shooting range in their back yard. They were so sweet to call us every time they were getting ready to shoot because our beloved dog, Cookie, would freak and poop and pee (she was a rescue and abused and hated loud noises). Hub and I would go over and shoot with them sometimes. And, the same said above, the cops were called every so often, and the cops would try out the weapons before they left. Good times. Miss it.

Also, we lived on Long's Cove and the run off was in back of the house (feeds into Cypress Swamp), so there was no way anyone would be injured. The average lot on my street was 4 acres. We were on 5. It was like shooting into the woods.
    Last edited by littlelady; 06-18-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    You would not have liked to live near me...
    I lived next to Dotsonville for better than 10 years, we shot there 3 to 4 times a month.
    Only had two visits from the law in that time, both times the Deputys and Trooper took a few autos for a spin before they left.
    There is a reason to live outside of the City Limits, being able to shoot on your own property is one of them.
    lol that's awesome.

For those who have jumpy neighbors, has anyone thought to notify the local law enforcement before target shooting? "hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up we're going to doing some target shooting, so if you get any calls, you already know it's a planned / safe informal event and you can take your time coming out" ?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyMotorcycle View Post
    lol that's awesome.

For those who have jumpy neighbors, has anyone thought to notify the local law enforcement before target shooting? "hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up we're going to doing some target shooting, so if you get any calls, you already know it's a planned / safe informal event and you can take your time coming out" ?
    Sure, what not call ahead.. but I believe that if you have that NIMBY neighbor, the law is going to show up everytime they call.
    All of my old neighbors but one are awesome ( mind there own Business ) neighbors.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Mostly settled in... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    I ain't from around here, but if my neighbors want to shoot in a safe, informal manner on their own land...have at it.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

Quote Originally Posted by paxnewbie View Post
    St. Mary's.
    So, 150yds for hunting...do you think that means a lesser or greater distance for targets?
    No defined standoff for target shooting. In St Mary's you could be on a quarter acre and shoot a .50 BMG into a backstop and it would be legal. Now llegal is not always smart. I am on 5 acres and I have a ravine that makes for a safe 50yd range. I still text my neighbors before I shoot and limit it to pistol and .22 My relationship to the neighbors is great and I want to keep it that way.
    The key is going to be your backstop. You want to have sand or dirt without any gravel and it has to be a near vertical wall. What you want to avoid are richochets that go ever which way.

Thanks, but I would not have gone with strictly the opinion of forumites. I was hoping someone would be able to cite an ordinance or something, and a great link to the sheriff's office was posted. I do intend to call, but I like your suggestion that I get it in writing!

I appreciate all of the suggestions here, from calling the police before we start shooting, to letting the neighbors know when we are about to start. I don't want to be one of those nasty people that does whatever the hell I please, but I also want to stand my ground and not allow NIMBY's (or people who just want to be difficult) to dictate what I can and cannot do. We've got neighbors with loose dogs, neighbors with trash all over the place and neighbors with such a crap ton of traffic going in and out that I don't let my kids play in the street (on what is otherwise a very quiet place where they should be able to). Instead of complaining about this stuff, we've just altered our routines and behaviors. But I've pretty much had it now. Thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yeah, but you are sort of surrounded by weekending city folks, being waterfront
    Yeah..I am now. Wasn't that way 20 years ago and we shot all the time back then.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Yes, but MoCo and NoVa weekenders........no brains.
    Went to court two years ago...St. Marys....a retired MoCo judge said "I know how you good old boys behave down here...you just have to learn that people not from here do not understand and you need to be accommodating"
    I appreciate all of the suggestions here, from calling the police before we start shooting, to letting the neighbors know when we are about to start. I don't want to be one of those nasty people that does whatever the hell I please, but I also want to stand my ground and not allow NIMBY's (or people who just want to be difficult) to dictate what I can and cannot do. We've got neighbors with loose dogs, neighbors with trash all over the place and neighbors with such a crap ton of traffic going in and out that I don't let my kids play in the street (on what is otherwise a very quiet place where they should be able to). Instead of complaining about this stuff, we've just altered our routines and behaviors. But I've pretty much had it now. Thanks, all!
    Let us know how it turns out.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Blog Entries
    Oh, that sucks! I'm going to vote that you continue shooting as much as you want to, and feel free to invite anonymous forumites over, too!
    :like:
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Members who have read this thread: 124