Flat Fee to List House for Sale

calvcopf

Any recommendations on flat fee companies that list a house for sale in Calvert? Realtors want 3% just to take pics and put it on the MLS . From past experiences the selling agent really didn't do much else to sell the house. If you have had success or failures using alternative/web companies that sell & list on MLS please let me know.

I have found some list-it-yourself websites ($500 list fee -on MLS, Zillow, etc. with an extra $500 to offer a warranty to the buyer and $30 for a yard sign). But would like to hear some real & local experiences.

Thanks y'all :)

Last edited:

officeguy

No personal experience with using them. From talking to realtor friends, they won't show their buyers those discount broker properties as in their experience it is not worth their time. It's more complicated to set up showings and with the lack of a realtor on the other end of the deal it often gets hung up at the negotiation stage. So unless you are confident that you can do what needs to happen to make a sale yourself, those 2% are imnho a good investment. My last home sold 30k over comps in the neighborhood and we had a deal within 2 weeks of listing, our realtor was undoubtedly part of that successful sale. I have watched other properties in the neighborhood languish on redfin for months.

Goldenhawk

I have no info on flat fee listings, but I can say regarding realtors that you have to shop them just like you would shop for an employee. Interview them, find out what they do to sell a house, what their history is, their sales volume, typical turnover time, etc. Then when you pick one, you have to actually take their advice on pricing and staging and photos. It's incredible to me (looking at a LOT of real estate listings for the last four years doing house flips) how many horribly staged and photographed homes are listed. And we see a LOT of prices that are beyond wishful, due to lack of solid advice on comparables and pricing. So you have to find the right agent, and if you do they will definitely help it sell much, much faster. Is it worth 3%? I can't make that choice for you, but I think so, only because MLS basically has a solid monopoly on the home sale communication market.

PeoplesElbow

I knew someone that was going to sell some property that I wanted to buy, we skipped the 6% extortion fee from the realtors and went straight to a real estate attorney. The attorney cost me $1k, but overall I saved $5k going this route.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

No personal experience with using them. From talking to realtor friends, they won't show their buyers those discount broker properties as in their experience it is not worth their time.

Agents that do this are in violation of their duties as a "buyers agent" and can be disciplined by the Maryland Real Estate Commission. If you know of agents like this, they are the greedy lazy type that give the good agents a bad name.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Any recommendations on flat fee companies that list a house for sale in Calvert? Realtors want 3% just to take pics and put it on the MLS . From past experiences the selling agent really didn't do much else to sell the house. If you have had success or failures using alternative/web companies that sell & list on MLS please let me know. I have found some list-it-yourself websites ($500 list fee -on MLS, Zillow, etc. with an extra $500 to offer a warranty to the buyer and $30 for a yard sign). But would like to hear some real & local experiences. Thanks y'all :)

A real estate agent does way more than take pictures and MLS input. If you have no experience in selling a house, find a good real estate agent. There are local real estate companies that do these flat fee services, and you get to ask questions. Like, how should I fill out my discloser/disclaimer paperwork? Here's a hint: Do not lie.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Who are these companies ?

And there in lies the rub. You are gonna have to call around to see who does it. There appears to be a big issue in the industry regarding those now. It seems that the law says if an agent lists someone's house, (in essence a flat fee listing is a contract with the seller) that agent should represent the seller. Were there used to be many advertising such services, that trend seems to be reversing. So there are fewer agents (brokerages) doing them because legal issues have been raised. And agents, and especially brokerages, hate legal entanglements. Sorry.

officeguy

If I may ...

Agents that do this are in violation of their duties as a "buyers agent" and can be disciplined by the Maryland Real Estate Commission. If you know of agents like this, they are the greedy lazy type that give the good agents a bad name.

Is it your opinion that a realtor has an obligation to present every property on the market to their client ?

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Is it your opinion that a realtor has an obligation to present every property on the market to their client ?

Yes. Every property. Even For Sale By Owners (FSBO), if it fits the buyer's criteria and the agent knows of it, such as not being in the MLS system but happened to drive by it one day. By "showing", to mean a printout of possible homes, informed by email, phone call, or in person, then to an actual physical house showing. Example: Even if a property is just outside of the clients preferred area, but it falls inside the price range. The client must be informed of all possible homes that come up, or are available with the criteria given to the agent. After all, that is what the agent is being paid the commission rate for, after the broker gets their cut, of course. If it is found, that an agent is not doing their job property, by not informing their client of all known, or should have known, possible homes fitting their client's criteria, they can be reported to the Maryland Real Estate Commission or, action can be taken by a harmed client. Ie., "well if I/We would have known, I/We would have bought there" scenario. This type of activity can fall under the action of steering by the agent. And that Maryland Real Estate Commission, can be a very, very, unforgiving entity.

officeguy

If I may ...

Yes. Every property. Even For Sale By Owners (FSBO), if it fits the buyer's criteria and the agent knows of it, such as not being in the MLS system but happened to drive by it one day. By "showing", to mean a printout of possible homes, informed by email, phone call, or in person, then to an actual physical house showing. Example: Even if a property is just outside of the clients preferred area, but it falls inside the price range. The client must be informed of all possible homes that come up, or are available with the criteria given to the agent. After all, that is what the agent is being paid the commission rate for, after the broker gets their cut, of course. If it is found, that an agent is not doing their job property, by not informing their client of all known, or should have known, possible homes fitting their client's criteria, they can be reported to the Maryland Real Estate Commission or, action can be taken by a harmed client. Ie., "well if I/We would have known, I/We would have bought there" scenario. This type of activity can fall under the action of steering by the agent. And that Maryland Real Estate Commission, can be a very, very, unforgiving entity.

If I wanted to wade through every property on the market I wouldn't have to hire a realtor. I hire them to sort the wheat from the chaff and most FSBOs happen to be chaff.

Hannibal

I've bought/sold several houses in the last decade or so and have helped in that process with many friends - many being military so you can imagine the turnover. My recommendation without exception is to utilize a real estate agent to sell. I understand the total cost seems problematic but it is insurance IMO especially if you are not fully invested in the legalities and process. More so, a good agent (and that is key) proactively works to sell your home via advertisement, word of mouth, networking and utilizing of contact with known buyer's agents (often within the same firm). This is far better than requiring a potential buyer from seeking out YOUR sale. Above this, as a many time over purchaser, there is always a bit of apprehension in dealing directly with a home seller who is not represented.

Second to all this is the legalities. A good friend of mine (military) just recently went through an ordeal (with a co-worker none the less - another military person)) where he sold his home himself to a co-worker who was represented by a buying agent. All initial issues went well including the home inspection (minor things which were addressed). This buddy, upon removing pictures and various wall features, filled in holes and ultimately touched up the repairs. Given that the paint on the walls was faded and did not perfectly match the newly applied paint, the new buyer ultimately sued for the cost of hiring a painter to paint all the walls in question. I found this absurd but ultimately the contracts were written (and not properly vetted by an agent working on his behalf) that he was liable for this cost (damn near $10k) and he was ordered to pay this expense.

In my experience, my agents on the sale side are very detailed on what you can and can't do (especially after inspection) and have, on more than one occasion, stopped me from doing what I felt was the right thing to do simply due to liability and exposure.

Find an agent. Their rates are often negotiable. But find a GOOD one. It's money well spent hands down.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If I wanted to wade through every property on the market I wouldn't have to hire a realtor. I hire them to sort the wheat from the chaff and most FSBOs happen to be chaff.

That is your right. As long as you inform your agent to ignore FSBO's, that's fine. But you must inform the agent of that specific desire, and a good agent will get that in writing. Also, it is not the job of an agent to "sort the wheat from the chaff". An agent must present everything to their buying client. An agent is not a mind reader. People's, aka buyer's, tastes can, and do, change with new information, sometimes on a daily basis. Any desires of a client that are not in writing, then an agent must perform to the utmost of due diligence for their client at all times. And that means showing every property that is available per the clients criteria. A verbal agreement just does not cut it. You hire them to be your eyes and ears, to represent you in a very large, and complicated, transaction. There are so many traps and pitfalls related to real estate, that it would blow your mind. BTW, there are plenty fine, and excellent, homes being offered by FSBO. Would it surprise you to know that many real estate agents sell FSBO? They just use the MLS system and list it through their broker.

Sapidus

If I may ...

That is your right. As long as you inform your agent to ignore FSBO's, that's fine. But you must inform the agent of that specific desire, and a good agent will get that in writing. Also, it is not the job of an agent to "sort the wheat from the chaff". An agent must present everything to their buying client. An agent is not a mind reader. People's, aka buyer's, tastes can, and do, change with new information, sometimes on a daily basis. Any desires of a client that are not in writing, then an agent must perform to the utmost of due diligence for their client at all times. And that means showing every property that is available per the clients criteria. A verbal agreement just does not cut it. You hire them to be your eyes and ears, to represent you in a very large, and complicated, transaction. There are so many traps and pitfalls related to real estate, that it would blow your mind. BTW, there are plenty fine, and excellent, homes being offered by FSBO. Would it surprise you to know that many real estate agents sell FSBO? They just use the MLS system and list it through their broker.

That statement is categorically untrue. If you are realtor you can't sell it by owner since you are a real estate agent. You don't get to pretend you are not a agent for one particular transaction. You might mean to say they forego a sales commission but they must disclose they are an agent for the transaction and have all of the real estate knowledge of a professional since that is what they are.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

That statement is categorically untrue. If you are realtor you can't sell it by owner since you are a real estate agent. You don't get to pretend you are not a agent for one particular transaction. You might mean to say they forego a sales commission but they must disclose they are an agent for the transaction and have all of the real estate knowledge of a professional since that is what they are.

Stop being a prick smegma breath. I wasn't meaning to say anything other than, "Would it surprise you to know...". If I was asked, or if it was part of the conversation, I would have included such caveats. Yes, a real estate agent can sell FSBO, however, they must disclose on all literature, digital or otherwise, that they are a licensed real estate salesperson and owner of the subject property. Happy now pimple pus? "Categorically untrue." Ha. Is that your big adult word of the day? Used incorrectly.

Sapidus

If I may ...

Stop being a prick smegma breath. I wasn't meaning to say anything other than, "Would it surprise you to know...". If I was asked, or if it was part of the conversation, I would have included such caveats. Yes, a real estate agent can sell FSBO, however, they must disclose on all literature, digital or otherwise, that they are a licensed real estate salesperson and owner of the subject property. Happy now pimple pus? "Categorically untrue." Ha. Is that your big adult word of the day? Used incorrectly.

I think you missed the main point.

You can't have a For Sale By Owner by an agent since although they agent is indeed an owner they are also an agent so it's not truly the same.

In this situation an agent is still and agent and can't relinquish that role and truly sell by owner

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

You can't have a For Sale By Owner by an agent since although they agent is indeed an owner they are also an agent so it's not truly the same.

In this situation an agent is still and agent and can't relinquish that role and truly sell by owner
you've been drinking. A lot.

frequentflier

happy to be living
If I may ...

:lmao:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

JHFC! Semantics! Are you that dense? Maybe there should be FSBREAO? (For Sale By Real Estate Agent Owner) But how the f*ck would you pronounce that? If, a real estate agent, that owned their own house, wanted to sell their own house, outside the MLS system, and outside of their broker, that person can absolutely sell FSBO as an owner! But they must state that they are a Maryland licensed real estate salesperson in all advertising. Having to disclose they are a licensed agent is the only requirement. They are still the owner of the house. It is exactly the same absent the disclosure!