To the Cobra Mustang Driver From the Plum Point Road & Bayside Road Area

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Sharing a post from the Calvert County FB page:
[h=5]MJ Brickeyto Calvert County Maryland[/h]I hope this is allowed here. It's important. To the parents of the young man driving a Cobra mustang (or one suited up to look like one and certainly sounds as powerful) who lives somewhere past the Plum Point and Bayside Road split. Today he almost him me head on just after the split. As he made the split he hit the gas hard but his head was down and he crossed left of center. He looked up in time to take his foot of the gas and cut the car back into his lane. I was sure he learned a valuable lesson. Just after 7 p.m., I had to make a trip down the opposite direction. And guess who was in my lane again as I came around a curve -- yes, the young man in a 'Stang. So I am posting this to ask you to save his life and maybe others by sitting him down and having a talk with him. Maybe yanking his keys for a bit? I think it is wonderful he has a beautiful car that most teens dream of, but please don't let it be the end of him. Thank you.

https://www.facebook.com/CalvertCountyMaryland/posts/10155376149019289

glhs837

Power with Control
I've never understood the urge to get kids powerful cars. Both of my teens spent traniing time in the SRT-8, but neithter of them got to drive it by themselves. Daughter did at age 20 around town a bit. I'm not saying young people cannot own fast cars and be responsible, but thats not the way to bet and why not giving such cars to them is a good idea. Make them earn and go buy them, get some skin in the game. Makes it less likely they will loose skin.

3CATSAILOR

In (1) month's time, I was nearly hit head on three times. A few days ago a person high on opiates went off the road hit a tree and totaled his car. He was returning from breaking in to a house down the road. Although nothing was left of the car, he somehow, got out and brushed himself off like nothing happened. I have no clue how he wasn't killed. Most people would have been. Southern Maryland does not have a handle on this problem. It is out of control. And quite frankly, I don't think they have any solid ideas what to do about it. As for kids driving crazy and coming in to your lane, 9 times out of 10 it is usually caused by texting or friends distracting them in the car.

catlingirl

In (1) month's time, I was nearly hit head on three times. A few days ago a person high on opiates went off the road hit a tree and totaled his car. He was returning from breaking in to a house down the road. Although nothing was left of the car, he somehow, got out and brushed himself off like nothing happened. I have no clue how he wasn't killed. Most people would have been. Southern Maryland does not have a handle on this problem. It is out of control. And quite frankly, I don't think they have any solid ideas what to do about it. As for kids driving crazy and coming in to your lane, 9 times out of 10 it is usually caused by texting or friends distracting them in the car.

This might sound weird but since the kid was high I'm thinking he didn't know what was going on and wasn't able to tense up. He was relaxed and so I guess it didn't affect him the way the crash would have if he tensed up and braced for the impact. I only say this because I know someone who was blackout drunk and was so relaxed and didn't know what was happening when he flipped his truck, that he walked right out the truck without anything wrong with him.

RetiredCPO

I've never understood the urge to get kids powerful cars. Both of my teens spent traniing time in the SRT-8, but neithter of them got to drive it by themselves. Daughter did at age 20 around town a bit. I'm not saying young people cannot own fast cars and be responsible, but thats not the way to bet and why not giving such cars to them is a good idea. Make them earn and go buy them, get some skin in the game. Makes it less likely they will loose skin.

It's a different time now... young people today do not have the maturity and responsibility we had when we learned to drive. A typical 16 year old back in the 70's and 80's would be comparable to a 25 year old today. Also, it's not so much the money, IMHO it's the mentality that everything is disposable now. And don't get me started on the cell phone crap... I still believe cars should have a built in jammer that only allows hands free
cell phone use though the cars Bluetooth system...

RetiredCPO

It's a different time now... young people today do not have the maturity and responsibility we had when we learned to drive. A typical 16 year old back in the 70's and 80's would be comparable to a 25 year old today. Also, it's not so much the money, IMHO it's the mentality that everything is disposable now. And don't get me started on the cell phone crap... I still believe cars should have a built in jammer that only allows hands free
Oh, forgot, my first car was a 1972 455HO Trans Am... never a ticket, never an accident... kept the fast stuff to the track like I was taught by my father...

I was just talking with my old Admin. Her husband was driving to early AM mass in Chaptico. Driver came around the corner too fast and over the line, nowhere to go. He was airlifted out and has been thru multiple surgeries and in long term rehab for months up in Baltimore. He is very messed up.

The costs for trauma care, surgeries, and rehab are staggering, not to mention the involvement of lawyers.

Last edited:

luvmygdaughters

I was just talking with my old Admin. Her husband was driving to early AM mass in Chaptico. Driver came around the corner too fast and over the line, nowhere to go. He was airlifted out and has been thru multiple surgeries and in long term rehab for months up in Baltimore. He is very messed up.

The costs for trauma care, surgeries, and rehab are staggering, not to mention the involvement of lawyers.

So sorry to hear this about your friend. Hope they will recover 100%. Teenage/young, inexperienced drivers scare me to death, especially when they're driving the powerful, muscle cars!

black dog

Free America
Oh, forgot, my first car was a 1972 455HO Trans Am... never a ticket, never an accident... kept the fast stuff to the track like I was taught by my father...

Yep..last moving violation I got was in1978.... . My first ride is a 70 GTO Con.., with a 55 in it.. I still have it.
My 18 yr old son in dieing a death for it,,, when he grads college it's his.
He grew up driving from that first elec trike, farm equipment, 4 wheelers and so on.
He hasn't gotten a ticket in his first two years, no tickets for stupid and he stays in school, daddy pays.. stupid happens... Kid pays...
You gotta be a parent....

black dog

Free America

Best wishes to your friend.

Clem72

Those glasses are pretty damn rose tinted. Kids drove every bit as fast and reckless back in the 60s/70s/80s. The only difference now is the added distraction of texting (which is bad). In fact, go check your googler. Teen driving results in less total and less fatal accidents now than ever before. So while some forms of maturity may be an issue for our participation award teens, driving fast/dangerously is not a directly related consequence.

black dog

Free America
Look at the difference in cars, hp, tires, traction control, car weight, and handling of today's cars compared to the 60 's and 70's. Huge difference..
We drove slow motion heavy poor handling bias ply tire junk with what's available today.

Grumpy

Look at the difference in cars, hp, tires, traction control, car weight, and handling of today's cars compared to the 60 's and 70's. Huge difference..
We drove slow motion heavy poor handling bias ply tire junk with what's available today.

Gotta agree with that ^

To Clem's point, the biggest difference today is the phone/texting, in my view.

PeoplesElbow

I knew plenty of kids that did things that they should not have with their cars.

Someone I couldn't stand use to "do yard jobs" in the snooty neighborhood, two of my other classmates were in the car with him one night when he was driving through peoples front yards and hit a tree that he didn't see (small 2 inch trunk). A tree, even one that small, does not move tore the car apart the kids got hurt, the girl got really hurt. The excuse was "I hit a patch of ice and panicked", everyone knew what happened but the police couldn't prove what happened. This kids mom bought him a new car (Chevy Baretta) and he kept on being an ass with the new car. The insurance agent is a family friend of mine, he wouldn't mention any names but told my dad that they had to pay out close to $500k for that one.

Every kid has done something they should not do while driving, whether or not it is something like that or reading a text message. My high school is fairly small, my graduating class was 130, and it seems every 3-4 years at least one kid dies form a wreck and usually its from something they shouldn't be doing.

Fatalities are lower, seat belt use is much more prevalent, airbags are in every car, and the cars are just designed safer. When I was in high school seat belt use was just starting to become the norm. (class of 1992)