Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To the Cobra Mustang Driver From the Plum Point Road & Bayside Road Area

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredCPO View Post
    It's a different time now... young people today do not have the maturity and responsibility we had when we learned to drive. A typical 16 year old back in the 70's and 80's would be comparable to a 25 year old today. Also, it's not so much the money, IMHO it's the mentality that everything is disposable now. And don't get me started on the cell phone crap... I still believe cars should have a built in jammer that only allows hands free
    cell phone use though the cars Bluetooth system...
    Those glasses are pretty damn rose tinted. Kids drove every bit as fast and reckless back in the 60s/70s/80s. The only difference now is the added distraction of texting (which is bad). In fact, go check your googler. Teen driving results in less total and less fatal accidents now than ever before. So while some forms of maturity may be an issue for our participation award teens, driving fast/dangerously is not a directly related consequence.

Look at the difference in cars, hp, tires, traction control, car weight, and handling of today's cars compared to the 60 's and 70's. Huge difference..
    We drove slow motion heavy poor handling bias ply tire junk with what's available today.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Look at the difference in cars, hp, tires, traction control, car weight, and handling of today's cars compared to the 60 's and 70's. Huge difference..
    We drove slow motion heavy poor handling bias ply tire junk with what's available today.
    Gotta agree with that ^

To Clem's point, the biggest difference today is the phone/texting, in my view.

I knew plenty of kids that did things that they should not have with their cars.

Someone I couldn't stand use to "do yard jobs" in the snooty neighborhood, two of my other classmates were in the car with him one night when he was driving through peoples front yards and hit a tree that he didn't see (small 2 inch trunk). A tree, even one that small, does not move tore the car apart the kids got hurt, the girl got really hurt. The excuse was "I hit a patch of ice and panicked", everyone knew what happened but the police couldn't prove what happened. This kids mom bought him a new car (Chevy Baretta) and he kept on being an ass with the new car. The insurance agent is a family friend of mine, he wouldn't mention any names but told my dad that they had to pay out close to $500k for that one.

Every kid has done something they should not do while driving, whether or not it is something like that or reading a text message. My high school is fairly small, my graduating class was 130, and it seems every 3-4 years at least one kid dies form a wreck and usually its from something they shouldn't be doing.

Fatalities are lower, seat belt use is much more prevalent, airbags are in every car, and the cars are just designed safer. When I was in high school seat belt use was just starting to become the norm. (class of 1992)
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

Members who have read this thread: 112