Former NYT Editor Blames Trump/GOP For Hodgkinson

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Both sides are equally at fault” in contributing to criminal political violence, said former chief editor of The New York Times, Jill Abramson.

Speaking as a panelist on CNN’s GPS with Fareed Zakaria, Abramson laid blame at the feet of President Donald Trump and congressional Republicans for allegedly increasing political polarization.

Republicans and their news media allies, claimed Abramson, contribute to and benefit from a political “rage machine:”

I do think that both sides are not equally at fault, and that there’s been a bit of a false equivalency at work, especially in the discussion over the past couple of days. I think that in terms of political leadership, right now, that both President Trump and the congressional leadership on the Republican side are extremely divisive, and that they are really benefiting from a kind of rage machine that operates in this country.

Former NYT Editor Blames Trump/GOP For Hodgkinson

:killingme

Wishbone

Democrat Machine has been Demonizing, Shouting Down, Physically Attacking, Looting, Burning, Destroying Property and now it's the victims fault that these primitives cant seem to behave themselves.

SamSpade

Well THAT didn't last very long, but I am not surprised.

There's been a LOT more talk about something I've said for *years* is this notion that your opponents aren't wrong, they are EVIL.
I am not sure how it got this bad, or when it began - there's always been instances of hyper-partisanship, but there's a lot more of this attitude over
the last twenty years or so. I saw this graph where it showed the general regard or respect given towards the opposing party and the trend really
seemed to have started in the very early 90's. Not surprisingly, when I first recall it REALLY getting bad. I mean, I worked at Harvard during Reagan,
and I saw plenty of stuff *insulting* him - essentially calling him a buffoon or idiot or incompetent, but no one advocating violence and no one
suggesting he was molesting his children.

So during all these discussions on TV about calls for civility, it's been brought up. People COULD disagree sharply on the floor of the House, but just
as easily share a drink afterwards, just as lawyers who spar in the courtroom don't have hatred towards their opponents.

But it wasn't hard to see that while people call for civility, they're NOT changing how they think.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Democrat Machine has been Demonizing, Shouting Down, Physically Attacking, Looting, Burning, Destroying Property and now it's the victims fault that these primitives cant seem to behave themselves.

It's all Trump's fault. And the Republicans' fault. If they weren't such evil Hitlers, patriots wouldn't have to beat and kill them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well THAT didn't last very long, but I am not surprised.

I am not sure how it got this bad, or when it began ......

IMHO - when GWB was in office ..... administration leaks by the 1000's over 8 yrs

but there's a lot more of this attitude over the last twenty years or so.

of course it could have been Hillary and the VAST RIGHT WING CONSPIRACY of the 1990s

SamSpade

It's all Trump's fault. And the Republicans' fault. If they weren't such evil Hitlers, patriots wouldn't have to beat and kill them.

What's bizarre is, that's grim and funny to you and me - but there are people saying just that.

You know, generally I *hate* it when the first response to ANYTHING - in the household, in the workplace - is some milquetoast answer that says "everybody is partly to blame" - you know, when the school bully picks on some kid - somehow everyone is to blame for it. No, they're not.

I mean, I *just* read an article basically saying, the right has to ratchet it down too. One of the quotes was referring to Trump telling people to punch someone if they're getting ready to throw a tomato. And *SOMEHOW* that is the same. It's not. When protestors came to rallies to cause trouble - if one of them is about to commit an act of violence - hit them. Sorry, but I totally support that point of view. People did not go to Hillary and Bernie rallies to pick fights. Another was Trump saying I'd like to punch that guy in the face. SOMEHOW that is the equivalent of saying you want to cut their head off or blow them up. Trump says these are very bad people - this is the *equivalent* of calling them a POS, "scumbags" or suggesting he's molested his children.

I don't see the equivalence.

And I don't see anything said or done on the right that is equivalent to shooting Republican leadership - or the Facebook pages and websites continuing to encourage it.