California State Professor: If You Don't 'Bank Black, You Are Funding White Supremacy'

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
California State Professor: If You Don't 'Bank Black, You Are Funding White Supremacy'

Dr. Melina Abdullah — a California State University professor who is also a founding member of Black Lives Matter (BLM) — has called on all allies to move their money to black-owned banks.

“Wells Fargo and Citibank…they’re putting the dollars that you give them in the institutions that keep us oppressed,” Abdullah said on Saturday. “If you’re not going to bank black, you are funding white supremacy.”

Her comments came during a Facebook Live panel sponsored by OneUnited Bank — the largest African-American-owned bank in the United States — whose partnership with Black Lives Matter has thrived throughout 2017.

[clip]

“We’re going to put our dollars with OneUnited because we know OneUnited is going to help us develop a reparations fund for our people,” Abdullah cited as an example. “We know OneUnited is going to help fund the movements that are going to help us get free.”

[clip]

The bank became the focus of a House ethics probe after receiving a $12 million bailout from the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) — which was supposed to help “healthy institutions” recover from the 2008 economic crisis. As the New York Times reported, “the aid surprised some bank analysts because OneUnited was then considered to be in precarious financial shape.” One study published by NBC News concluded that the bank “was the weakest” of the more than 700 financial institutions that received TARP money.

During the investigation, federal banking regulators discovered Rep. Maxine Waters’s husband once sat on the bank’s board of directors, which raised concerns over her family’s financial ties to the institution. The board had approved footing the bill for a lavish lifestyle for Kevin L. Cohee, OneUnited’s CEO, which included financing a Porsche, a Jaguar, a luxury condo in South Florida, and a $26,500 monthly lease for a beach house in Santa Monica, California.

color me shocked the United ONE bank has had financial difficulties

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
*Doctor* Abdullah, *professor* at a large university....is complaining that she is oppressed. She wants some help getting "free".

:killingme

Wishbone

Anyone want to take guesses on when this outstanding establishment will be exposed and charged for banking fraud, money laundering or embezzlement?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
*Doctor* Abdullah, *professor* at a large university....is complaining that she is oppressed. She wants some help getting "free".

:killingme

Maxine Walters husband was once on the board :shrug:

hey I am all down with Americans of African Decent only doing business with Americans of African Decent if that makes them feel free and happy
- they are only 14% of the population, of 330 million nobody's gonna miss them

[soon to be surpassed by Hispanics - they work hard and have more money to spend]

Hijinx

Nice to know California State University keeps bigots like this on staff.
Chair of Pan-African studies at the University.

Studied black long enough to be called Dr. or PHD, and proves that education does not trump bigotry.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I'm always surprised when I learn that businesses in minority cities like DC are owned by Koreans or Arabs. You would think some enterprising minority would open a local business and tout that it was locally owned. Go figure. I guess it's just easier to bitch that the man is keeping you down.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I'm always surprised when I learn that businesses in minority cities like DC are owned by Koreans or Arabs.

Koreans or Chinese run liquor, convenience stores or food joints in some of the roughest neighborhoods in the city
[or used to when I worked NW DC doing plumbing work in the early 90's]

Farakahn bitched then because Asians owned stores and blacks did not back then

Hijinx

Let me see. This Professor of bigotry says that to not put your money into a black owned ban is supporting White Supremacy.
The reverse of that is for me to put my money in her bank , and support Black Lives matter.

I have no intention of supporting a group of racist blacks who don't care about ghetto killings and only get involved if a white or black cop shoots a criminal in the act .

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Koreans or Chinese run liquor, convenience stores or food joints in some of the roughest neighborhoods in the city
[or used to when I worked NW DC doing plumbing work in the early 90's]

Farakahn bitched then because Asians owned stores and blacks did not back then

Marion Barry also had a famous quote about Asian store owners. Birds of a feather.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
“We’re going to put our dollars with OneUnited because we know OneUnited is going to help us develop a reparations fund for our people,”

:lmao::lmao: How generous of them!

Clem72

I'm always surprised when I learn that businesses in minority cities like DC are owned by Koreans or Arabs. You would think some enterprising minority would open a local business and tout that it was locally owned. Go figure. I guess it's just easier to bitch that the man is keeping you down.

I'm not. Most of the interesting acts on America's got talent (basically everything that isn't singing/group dancing) are all immigrants too. Seems like being a small business owner goes hand n hand with the type of personality that would drive one to immigrate for the chance of a better life. And the barrier for entry is probably lesser in poor neighborhoods (though the loss prevention probably offsets a lot of that).