Jason Chaffetz - Quitting Congress

Chris0nllyn

Attkisson: "Some people might think this is a great time to be a Republican chairman of an important committee because Republicans control the House, they're the majority in the Senate, and they hold the president's office. That means, you would think, that federal agencies can't stonewall investigations of spending, waste, fraud and abuse."

Chaffetz: "The reality is, sadly, I don't see much difference between the Trump administration and the Obama administration. I thought there would be this, these floodgates would open up with all the documents we wanted from the Department of State, the Department of Justice, the Pentagon. In many ways, it's almost worse because we're getting nothing, and that's terribly frustrating and, with all due respect, the attorney general has not changed at all. I find him to be worse than what I saw with Loretta Lynch in terms of releasing documents and making things available. I just, that's my experience, and that's not what I expected."

Attkisson: "Republicans were very upset in the last few years over the IRS commissioner, John Koskinen, who they said allowed destruction of documents and investigations and other things. This committee, I believe, even called for him to be impeached. He's still IRS commissioner even though Republicans are now in charge of pretty much everything. Why is that?"

Chaffetz: "Now look, you have more than 50 Republicans pleading with President Trump to release him, um, to let him go, fire him. Uh, or at least encourage him to retire. No, he's still there. No changes. Nobody was fired. Nobody was prosecuted. Nobody was held accountable. We tried to issue subpoenas, we tried to hold people in contempt and the Obama administration said no, and the Trump administration came in and did zero. Nothing. Nothing changed."

Chaffetz: "Look, first and foremost, it really is a family decision. I, I loved being engaged in the fight, but yeah there, there does, after nine, you know, eight-and-a-half, nine years, get to be a, a degree of frustration that, hey, when are we going to get serious about changing these things? Because the American people, when I first started, they had Democrats who had the House and Senate in the presidency. And that whole pendulum swung, but I'm telling you, in the first five, six months, I haven't seen any changes. And, and that's, that's very frustrating, You come to that point and say, alright, it's, it's time for a change."

http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/full-measure-quitting-congress

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I believe he is honestly just fed up with it all, and decided the cost to his family life wasn't worth it. Can't blame him.

Chris0nllyn

I believe he is honestly just fed up with it all, and decided the cost to his family life wasn't worth it. Can't blame him.

That's what I took out of it. What's the point in spending a majority of the year away from family in a worthless Congress coupled with the need to constantly fundraise?

Sapidus

Good riddance. He was a hypocrite and a thorn in DC's self governance for way too long.

Hope he stays out of politics for good.

This_person

Good riddance. He was a hypocrite and a thorn in DC's self governance for way too long.

Hope he stays out of politics for good.

What the hell is "DC's self-governance"? US Constitution, Article One, Section Eight, "The Congress shall have Power... To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States,..." THAT is the governance of the District of Columbia.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
What the hell is "DC's self-governance"? US Constitution, Article One, Section Eight, "The Congress shall have Power... To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States,..." THAT is the governance of the District of Columbia.

You don't expect a bottom-feeding blue crab to understand this do you?

nutz

Someone who believes in limited government shouldn't be trying to defy the votes of the public to decide what is best for the city.

:killingme Yes, there's a real think tank observation. We are talking about the people that instituted left turn arrows? Bike lanes in the middle of the roadway? Built two stadiums on one of the busiest roads in the eastern U.S.? $200,000,000 plus streetcar to nowhere project? Reelected Marion Barry how many times? Those voters? :lmao:

Almost forgot, Eleanor Holmes (I forgot to pay my taxes) Norton is another D.C. gem...

Last edited:

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Someone who believes in limited government shouldn't be trying to defy the votes of the public to decide what is best for the city.

:killingme Yes, there's a real think tank observation. We are talking about the people that instituted left turn arrows? Bike lanes in the middle of the roadway? Built two stadiums on one of the busiest roads in the eastern U.S.? $200,000,000 plus streetcar to nowhere project? Reelected Marion Barry how many times? Those voters? :lmao:

Almost forgot, Eleanor Holmes (I forgot to pay my taxes) Norton is another D.C. gem...

Like I said. Bottom-feeder.

Sapidus

So because you don't agree with what the voters want they shouldn't be able to decide for themselves what they want to do with their money and roads? Be careful with that argument. That's how people lose their right to automatic weapons dummy. It works both ways

No matter what you think D.C. Is rich and has a surplus so who cares if they spend money on things you don't think they should.

Do you know how many people I see commuting in Those bike lanes every day ? And how that translates into less people on the roads and transit systems?

This_person

Also, living in DC is a choice. You know the rules before hand.....

It's like moving next to a Naval Airstation and bitching about jet noise....

It's just stupid. He argues against the Constitution like it's a suggestion, not the supreme law of the land.

And, I'm good with the Air Station, but they need to NOT put jets in at the county airport - I moved nearby knowing it was a little airport, not a JET airport.

nutz

That's how people lose their right to automatic weapons dummy. It works both ways

Do you know how many people I see commuting in Those bike lanes every day ? And how that translates into less people on the roads and transit systems?

Better to be accused of stupidity rather than proving at every opening. How do "automatic weapons" and statehood relate to each other. You can vote for yourself to be the supreme pooh bah, but if that vote is not constitutional and recognized, what have you voted for?

Montecristo's really are bad for your health LB. You should consider changing this MPD to sapidum.

Last edited: