Wind blows car door shut, locking 2 year old inside, 911 called, mom ticketed

Chris0nllyn

Omaha police say it’s a potentially deadly circumstance, and one reason a local mother was ticketed Tuesday on suspicion of child abuse by neglect.

A gust of wind apparently slammed closed a sport utility vehicle’s doors, locking a nearly 2-year-old girl inside.

In vain, family members worked to free her before calling 911; the girl’s mother told the police officers when they arrived that the girl was trapped for about 15 minutes.

"Don’t be afraid to call 911 for help," she said. "This could be a life or death situation."
http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/mom...cle_7b7a94e0-517d-11e7-af81-bf2fe1538064.html

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
why were all the doors locked if she wasn't done getting the child out of the car

:shrug:

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
why were all the doors locked if she wasn't done getting the child out of the car

It could have been accidental.
Back in 2003, I had just bought a new car. Within a day, I had locked myself out of it 2 times by accident. Key in ignition with engine running. Luckily I was at home both times where the spare key/FOB was readily available. It seems that when opening the car door, my hand had a habit of also hitting the lock button simultaneously, as the door handle and button were in very close proximation. Ever since, the spare key or FOB is always clipped to a belt loop.

Auto locks. My GMCs both would lock the doors after a minute or two if I stepped out to put gas in. I disabled that function 'cause I got locked out more than once.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
It could have been accidental.
Back in 2003, I had just bought a new car. Within a day, I had locked myself out of it 2 times by accident.

Auto locks. My GMCs both would lock the doors after a minute or two if I stepped out to put gas in. I disabled that function 'cause I got locked out more than once.

:yay:

Indeed, my 2005 Town and Country does the same thing [auto locks the doors] drivers door unlocks when I get out
I immediately got in the habit of locking the van with the key fob, not the door switch because I am otherwise apt to lock my keys in the car ....

I also discovered the PO had stashed a key in a lock box on the car somewhere ... it will not start the engine [microchipped key needed for that]
but it will open the door

the article said she was getting the child out of the back ....
- so open all doors, hop out open back door, remove child
- use key fob to lock car after all doors are secure

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tierney said the police department thinks the child was actually in the car longer than 15 minutes, partly based on the temperature inside the car.

I love how people on the internet who weren't there and don't know #### about it are so quick to chime in and get all pissed at the cops.

Chris0nllyn

Tierney said the police department thinks the child was actually in the car longer than 15 minutes, partly based on the temperature inside the car.

I love how people on the internet who weren't there and don't know #### about it are so quick to chime in and get all pissed at the cops.

According to a study, heat rise of a car in an ambient air temp of 93* was 17* after 15 minutes. That would make the car about 110*.

The story says the outside air temp was 93* (based on police cruiser reading), and the temp inside the car was 97* "a few minutes after the window was broken."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
According to a San Jose State University study, heat rise of a car in an ambient air temp of 93* was 17* after 15 minutes. That would make the car about 110*.

The story says the outside air temp was 93* (based on police cruiser reading), and the temp inside the car was 97* "a few minutes after the window was broken."

Well, the San Jose State University and you would certainly know better than the cops who were actually there at the scene.

Chris0nllyn

the article said she was getting the child out of the back ....
- so open all doors, hop out open back door, remove child
- use key fob to lock car after all doors are secure

It also described what happened.
"When she exited from the car and opened the rear door, the wind pushed the doors closed and locked them," an officer wrote of the account from the girl’s mother in the report.

Hijinx

I think it is pretty obvious that the mother did not mean to lock the kid in the car and leave. IMO the ticket was BS.
I believe the Judge will accept her word.
Still there are some nutty Judges.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it is pretty obvious that the mother did not mean to lock the kid in the car and leave. IMO the ticket was BS.
I believe the Judge will accept her word.
Still there are some nutty Judges.

The Weird Harold tells the story that the mother gave as if that's the truth and it's not possible that she's lying. It was the Aunt who locked the kid in the car, anyway, according to the story.

According to the mother, her daughter had been at a pool with her aunt. When they arrived back at their home near 36th Street and Olin Avenue about 3 p.m., the aunt turned off the SUV and put her keys inside the car. The girl was in a child seat in the back of the vehicle.

"When she exited from the car and opened the rear door, the wind pushed the doors closed and locked them," an officer wrote of the account from the girl’s mother in the report.

Most of us have locked ourselves out of our car but I can't wrap my brain around the fact that she tried for atleast 15 minutes to open the car in 93 degree weather. Any mother I know would have broke that window within a minute or two, not 15+ minutes and would have called the police right away.