Deuteronomy 11 Love, Walk, Hold

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 11:22 If you carefully observe all these commands I am giving you to follow—to love the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him and to hold fast to him— 23 then the Lord will drive out all these nations before you, and you will dispossess nations larger and stronger than you. 24 Every place where you set your foot will be yours: Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the Euphrates River to the Mediterranean Sea. 25 No one will be able to stand against you. The Lord your God, as he promised you, will put the terror and fear of you on the whole land, wherever you go.​

Oh I have heard so many greedy men preach the "riches will be yours" story on these verses. Way to warp it greedy men! I was flipping through the channels last night.... I saw one very well known greedy man who was crying and showing a tote board showing the money people were pledging. What a miserable sight! Greedy men are the worst... and they use these verses a lot!

In these verses... Moses was not promising these men great wealth or a crystal palace..... Moses was telling them they could be victorious if they allowed God to put the terror and fear of these men on the whole land. Moses was giving them a pre-battle talk..... Moses wanted them to understand that with God on their side... they wouldn't fail.

This is from the easy English site.

Moses repeated what he had said in chapter 6:6-9. The Israelites must remember to obey God’s words. If they were loyal to God’s covenant, they would possess the country for always. God would force out all the other nations. The southern border of this country would be the desert at Sinai. Its northern border would be the mountains in Lebanon. Its border on the east would be the River Euphrates. Its western border would be the Mediterranean Sea. The Israelites possessed this area of land only when David was king. They did not do so before or after that time.​

Here's some information from the bibletrack.org site.

We have a restatement of national territories again in verse 24; the Hebrew word translated "uttermost" in the King James Version is a direct reference to the Mediterranean Sea. To the Jews, the "front" sea when facing east was the Dead Sea, and the "behind" aka "uttermost" sea to their back was the Mediterranean. There's no question that God gave Canaan to the Jews. And...by the way...there's no indication whatsoever that he awarded the WEST BANK for Israel's enemies to possess. Let's notice again the northern boundary - the Euphrates River.​

It's not about what we can do. It's about what God can do.
It's not about what we will do. It's about what God will do.
It's not about giving the Israelites all of Canaan. It's more about showing God is good for His Word.
It's not about praying to win the lottery.... it's about having a trusting relationship with God Himself.
We're not in this for riches.... we're in this because He loved us first.

:coffee: