A couple of questions

seekeroftruth

I don't mean to start a whole big war but .....

1. At a new "faith sharing" meeting in my new community, there are two Catholics, a Seventh Day Adventist and me [a Protestant who is protesting churches in general]. Last time we met, the leader read from the Book of Judith from the Bible. It was an interesting story. I'm wondering... why did it qualify for the Catholic Church Bible and not for the Bible I have?

2. I just finished watching "The Keepers" on Netflix. Has anyone seen it?

I hope I'm not kicking a hornet's nest.... these are serious questions bugging me....

:coffee:

stgislander

PREMO Member
I don't mean to start a whole big war but .....

1. At a new "faith sharing" meeting in my new community, there are two Catholics, a Seventh Day Adventist and me [a Protestant who is protesting churches in general]. Last time we met, the leader read from the Book of Judith from the Bible. It was an interesting story. I'm wondering... why did it qualify for the Catholic Church Bible and not for the Bible I have?

2. I just finished watching "The Keepers" on Netflix. Has anyone seen it?

I hope I'm not kicking a hornet's nest.... these are serious questions bugging me....

Regarding your #1, Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of Biblical apocrypha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

seekeroftruth

Regarding your #1, Wikipedia has a pretty good explanation of Biblical apocrypha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

I get that... but I'm asking about the Book of Judith specifically.... It seems to have a really good plot to be picked up by some movie studio but I'm wondering why it isn't included in my Bible like the Book of Esther or the Book of Ruth. Why those two and not the Book of Judith. Was it because she bowed down to a human in the time of Nebuchadnezzar or was it just a page and chapter count thing? Just curious....

stgislander

PREMO Member
I get that... but I'm asking about the Book of Judith specifically.... It seems to have a really good plot to be picked up by some movie studio but I'm wondering why it isn't included in my Bible like the Book of Esther or the Book of Ruth. Why those two and not the Book of Judith. Was it because she bowed down to a human in the time of Nebuchadnezzar or was it just a page and chapter count thing? Just curious....

I guess it depends on which Protestant father you are asking. The wiki article was pretty clear that if the 'Book' wasn't found in the Jewish bible, Luther didn't include it in his German bible as cannon.

seekeroftruth

Why do you suppose the particular book of Judith never made it into the NIV or the KJV Bibles?

I get there are hundreds of different translations of the Bible. I've written before that I could not understand or learn from the KJV but I can use the NIV just fine.... I've lived through the translation battles in church... I even had a preacher take my Bible and burn it on a bonfire because it wasn't the King James.....that's not what I'm asking....

The question is..... Why do you suppose the particular book of Judith never made it into the NIV or the KJV Bibles?