SMECO failing to send bill

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Anyone else having an issue with SMECO not sending your monthly bill? This has happened twice in the last six months. I pay all bills pretty much as soon as we get them so I really don't notice if one doesn't come in each month until I get a "past due" notice. I plan on setting up Auto Pay to avoid this from now on. Just curious if this is happening to others.

Restitution

You might want to call them up and see if they put you on "paperless billing" without you knowing.

I had the same problem with SMECO last year. Just stopped getting paper bills (which I prefer). I called them up and was told I was "moved to paperless billing" and all my statements were sent via email. I asked the person "Which email is my bill going to?" I asked her this because I never gave them one since I never signed up for the paperless billing!

I let her fumble around for about 5 minutes before I told her to switch me back to paper bills.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
You might want to call them up and see if they put you on "paperless billing" without you knowing.

I had the same problem with SMECO last year. Just stopped getting paper bills (which I prefer). I called them up and was told I was "moved to paperless billing" and all my statements were sent via email. I asked the person "Which email is my bill going to?" I asked her this because I never gave them one since I never signed up for the paperless billing!

I let her fumble around for about 5 minutes before I told her to switch me back to paper bills.
We do get paper bills. Just seems like every once in a while, the bill doesn't show up.

luvmygdaughters

We do get paper bills. Just seems like every once in a while, the bill doesn't show up.

Not sure if its Smeco or the post office. We have a PO box in Leonardtown, it seems every 6 - 8 weeks we get a pediatricans mail in our box, the numbers are similar, but, the stuff contains medical information regarding his patients. I have, on several occasions, taken the mail to the doctors office and dropped it off. So, I have to wonder if someone else is getting our mail. I have switched everything to paperless billing for that reason.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Not sure if its Smeco or the post office. We have a PO box in Leonardtown, it seems every 6 - 8 weeks we get a pediatricans mail in our box, the numbers are similar, but, the stuff contains medical information regarding his patients. I have, on several occasions, taken the mail to the doctors office and dropped it off. So, I have to wonder if someone else is getting our mail. I have switched everything to paperless billing for that reason.

I might just switch everything over to Auto Pay if available but it seems like the only issue we have is with SMECO. Never gotten any "past due" notices from anyone else.

nobody really

I need a nap
this is somewhat off topic, but how come the Postal Service still exists? I check my mail once, maybe twice a month....its all junk anyways. I check it more during Christmas, because it gets plugged up with all the catalogs and other crap.

I just think of all the waste and money that could be save if the postal service was eliminated. I sit here with a pile of crap I got from my box this am. all going in the trash. and, if I don't get my mail, the mailman crams that #### in there so tight.....

luvmygdaughters

this is somewhat off topic, but how come the Postal Service still exists? I check my mail once, maybe twice a month....its all junk anyways. I check it more during Christmas, because it gets plugged up with all the catalogs and other crap.

I just think of all the waste and money that could be save if the postal service was eliminated. I sit here with a pile of crap I got from my box this am. all going in the trash. and, if I don't get my mail, the mailman crams that #### in there so tight.....

Well, there are some elderly folks that dont know how or wish to learn how, to use a computer. Snail mail is the only way they receive their bills or correspondence. Also, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the pediatrician receives quite a bit of mail from labs and insurance companies.

nobody really

I need a nap
Well, there are some elderly folks that dont know how or wish to learn how, to use a computer. Snail mail is the only way they receive their bills or correspondence. Also, as I mentioned in my earlier post, the pediatrician receives quite a bit of mail from labs and insurance companies.

yeah, good point.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

I am far from elderly but I still enjoy writing checks. Weird quirk of mine, I guess.

John Z

if you will
Somehow we also were switched to SMECO paperless billing. I think companies look for any semi-justification to do this. During a power outage when my wife called in, she selected the option of receiving text notification of power restoration. Then she started getting texts notifying us of our bill amount and due date. That meant, as I found out, that we stopped getting our paper bills. I was, therefore, late on one bill before I figured out that they stopped sending ye olde' fashion paper bills. I sighed and just adapted to the new process. I'm currently "straddling" the digital/paper world. I pay most bills electronically already, but I still get some paper bills. I guess I'm slowly being moved to the digital world.

Fun side story. Apparently with NFCU e-bill payment, some of the little companies still get a paper check from NFCU when I pay via e-billing. My trash company levied a late charge for a recent quarterly bill that was credited 5 days late. I had evidence of paying it on time, but the trash companies accounts person said she actually gets paper checks, and swears she checks their post office box every day. So I now have to adjust for possible slow mail delivery when I electronically pay my bill. What a wonderful modern world!

Chris0nllyn

Somehow we also were switched to SMECO paperless billing. I think companies look for any semi-justification to do this. During a power outage when my wife called in, she selected the option of receiving text notification of power restoration. Then she started getting texts notifying us of our bill amount and due date. That meant, as I found out, that we stopped getting our paper bills. I was, therefore, late on one bill before I figured out that they stopped sending ye olde' fashion paper bills. I sighed and just adapted to the new process. I'm currently "straddling" the digital/paper world. I pay most bills electronically already, but I still get some paper bills. I guess I'm slowly being moved to the digital world.

Fun side story. Apparently with NFCU e-bill payment, some of the little companies still get a paper check from NFCU when I pay via e-billing. My trash company levied a late charge for a recent quarterly bill that was credited 5 days late. I had evidence of paying it on time, but the trash companies accounts person said she actually gets paper checks, and swears she checks their post office box every day. So I now have to adjust for possible slow mail delivery when I electronically pay my bill. What a wonderful modern world!

That's also a good point. My oil delivery company doesn't have e-billing capability with their bank, and my bank has to issue checks. It's stated that way on my online bill pay area with my bank that it takes 5 days min to deliver.

In my case, the company has an online payment portal that is instantaneous, so I go that route. Maybe your trash comapny has one of those?

Chris0nllyn

Good point! Never thought about it like that.

Also, auto payments can be tough to stop. Stopping a check is easy, give bank check #, but banks typically want you to jump through hoops to stop ACHs. For example, if you want to stop the auto bill pay from that gym you quit months ago, banks (depending on which one) will want the exact dollar amount, some won't stop reoccurring payments, forcing you to call the bank every month to stop payment. Banks force you to process the stop payment 3 days in adavcen of the payment and if they ask for written confirmation, you have to send that in 14 days before. Some may even charge you to end automatic payments.