Dozens of Organizations Call on State to Reject CareFirst's Premium Rate Hikes

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
This just in from the somd.com Headline News:

Title: Dozens of Organizations Call on State to Reject CareFirst's Premium Rate Hikes

Date: 06-20-2017 03:08 PM

Summary: Hoyer's Affordable Care Act (ACA) has turned out to be anything but affordable.

Click here for the full story...

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They can mew and pew all they want..and CareFirst can - AND WILL - simply do what other insurers have done: Pull out altogether.

Morons.

This kind of justification/rationalization by the left is sickening.
CareFirst also remains on solid financial footing, with a surplus far exceeding what is required by law for a health insurer, despite its losses on the individual market since 2014.

The screaming left hoards are not satisfied until they see a company actually ruin itself in pursuit of their warped utopian goals.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

They can mew and pew all they want..and CareFirst can - AND WILL - simply do what other insurers have done: Pull out altogether.

Morons.

This kind of justification/rationalization by the left is sickening.

The screaming left hoards are not satisfied until they see a company actually ruin itself in pursuit of their warped utopian goals.

I think they are equating a few different things. Companies like United Health have more than one iron in the fire, so to speak. Obamacare says the medical loss ratio (MLR) has to be 80% (85% for large markets) meaning they have to spend at least 80% (or 85%) of premium dollars on claims and activities to improve health care quality.

It seems the commenter you quoted thinks that 80/20 rule applies to company profits as a whole.

This line interested me.

That's because since the law was enacted, managed care companies (UnitedHealth, Aetna, Anthem, Cigna, Humana and Centene) stocks have soared over the last 7 years. The S&P index as a whole returned 136.5% during that time, while managed care stocks rose 300%. United Health, for example, returned 480%.

stgislander

PREMO Member
That's because since the law was enacted, managed care companies (UnitedHealth, Aetna, Anthem, Cigna, Humana and Centene) stocks have soared over the last 7 years. The S&P index as a whole returned 136.5% during that time, while managed care stocks rose 300%. United Health, for example, returned 480%.

So for whom is S&P saying the individual market improving for? You appear to be saying that the managed care companies are already making money hand over fist. And it's definitely not improving for me.

Chris0nllyn

So for whom is S&P saying the individual market improving for? You appear to be saying that the managed care companies are already making money hand over fist. And it's definitely not improving for me.

S&P is worried about their own index and most likely using that as their metric.

It's not improving for me either.