Greetings from Newport, RI!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh my gosh, SO cute!! :yahoo:

For real, put it on your "go to" list right now. Super cute historic walking town with narrow brick or cobblestone streets, a crap ton of shops and eateries, and personality to spare. We checked in to our B&B, put our things away, and rolled out to explore. Walked for hours without even realizing we'd done it - we're staying right downtown, so park the car and don't see it again until we head to Boston. We didn't take the camera when we went out yesterday but will get pics today.

The place we're staying says it's a hotel, but it's really a B&B, and we actually have a 1-br apartment that was a nice surprise considering the price. And we have that crappy Motel 6 in Biloxi to thank for it! When I saw the horror that was Motel Hell, I realized that I had booked us into one in Newport as well. Yeah, cancel. Then I found America's Cup Inn and they had availability for us. I thought it would be just a room with a minifridge and microwave - noooooo! It's a fully furnished apartment, right in the heart of downtown, including a full breakfast and afternoon tea. When I get places like this it makes Monello and me feel like we live in the town and aren't just visitors, which we like very much.

We had a mini lunch at Mission, which is a no frills hippie burger and dog joint where they grind their own beef fresh every day and also make their own hot dogs. I had a Chicago dog, which had too much relish on it, but the dog itself was really REALLY good. Monello's burger was delicious and clearly fresh made.

After hours of walking, we hit up Smoke House, which is open air and on the water, to check off RI on our BBQ list. We split a sampler platter and it was pretty good - not TX or TN (where they take that chit seriously) good, but the meat was flavorful and they had home made sauces to slather on. The one to beat is still Black's in Lockhart, TX.

We'll definitely have to come back here and spend more time. Our three days will be enough to walk and bike the downtown historic area, but apparently there's a bunch of other stuff to explore as well.

MR47930

Never been but I work closely with the Warfare center there and everyone that I deal with is great. Seems like a super friendly place. Their accents are hilarious also...apparently they dont have the letter "R" in the alphabet up there.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Our digs.

DSCF6675.jpg

DSCF6674.jpg

Oldest tavern in the US

DSCF6661.jpg

DSCF6662.jpg

DSCF6664.jpg

DSCF6660.jpg

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Today we took a boat tour of the harbor and Naragansett Bay. Saw all the multi-million $$$ "summer homes" and yachts. :twitch: I don't want to hear one single rich person ever again express sympathy for the poor. Newport is a huge wedding destination, and venues start at - ready? - $50,000 for a lower echelon no frills joint. That is JUST to rent the venue. So there are a number of things these limousine liberals could do to cut back, still live luxuriously, and feed an awful lot of poor children. I have nothing against rich people, just the ones who pretend to give a crap about poor people while yachting about and dropping $8 mil on a home they will use three months out of the year and shelling out $100k+ for a venue for a wedding that has a 50% chance of ending in divorce.

Anyway, enough of that.

I got to have a Del's frozen lemonade, which is all the rage and quite famous as Rhode Island's "thing". I thought it was too sweet and not tart or lemony enough. Monello's coffee cabinet, however, was delicious. (A coffee cabinet is basically a coffee milkshake.) Coffee is a thing here, which makes me love this state, and they drink it in many forms (coffee milk is their state beverage), but strangely their gift shops and "Everything Rhode Island" stores do not sell ground coffee or beans. And their local roaster is Downeast out of Pawtucket, which is what our B&B provides, and it is BOMB. Tomorrow on the way out of town we'll stop at the grocery store and see if they have it for sale.

We had dinner at the Newport Lobster Shack, which is difficult to find and get to, but definitely worth the search. It's a trailer on the dock that started out as a live crustacean shop, then branched out into another trailer that operates as a kitchen. We tried everything - a big honking steamed lobster, lobster fritters, lobster bites (like chicken nuggets, only lobster), and fried lobster tail. OMG so good! That's all they serve - lobsters that their fishermen catch, and those babies are fresh off the boat.

Tomorrow we head for Fall River to pay homage to Lizzie Borden, then on to Boston...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
House built on a rock:
DSCN3702.JPG

Fishermen coming in with their haul:
DSCN3727.JPG

This is our B&B - our apartment opens into the side street.
DSCN3736.JPG

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Downtown Newport is highly congested with shops, restaurants, etc. The harbor is absolutely clogged with boats. There's a lot of activity and this is not where you go for peace and quiet. That said, Newport is amazing and we have thoroughly enjoyed our stay here.

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I spent many weekends in Newport in 20's with my friends. We would go to the beach near the cliffwalk frequently. Climbed down the cliffs and scaled the walls. Lucky we didn't break our neck but in our 20's...yeah not so bright at times.