Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calvert to get stationary License Plate Readers

Calvert to get stationary License Plate Readers

The formality of conducting a required public hearing was completed Tuesday, June 20 at the Calvert County Commissioners’ meeting. In the end a majority of commissioners gave the OK to the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office request for over $215,000 for the purchase of two license plate readers (LPRs).
    The request for the purchase of two LPRs was made last month by Sheriff Mike Evans [R]. “The LPRs will effectively capture license plate information of all vehicles entering and exiting via routes 260 and 4, which is important because a majority of bank robberies and armed robberies of businesses have historically occurred in Northern Calvert County,” Assistant Sheriff Lt. Colonel Dave McDowell stated in a memo to the commissioners. “This is part of the sheriff’s plan to use the Safety for Students program revenue source to purchase one-time, high priority expenditures for equipment and other operational needs.”
    Commissioner Pat Nutter [R - District 2] indicated he was opposed to the plan. “I don’t want to end up in ‘big brother’ syndrome—that’s where America is headed,” said Nutter, a retire sheriff’s deputy.
    Commissioners’ Vice President Evan K. Slaughenhoupt Jr. [R - District 3] stated that the LPRs were “the electronic version” of human eyewitnesses.

“Most people move here for the quality of life,” said Commissioner Mike Hart [R - District 1], adding that public safety contributed to the quality. “I would like to expand it [LPR program]. This is going to give police so many more pairs of eyes.
    Still, Nutter argued that have motor vehicle license plates observed and recorded was compromising an individual’s privacy. “There’s no privacy, Pat. It’s just a part of life,” said Commissioners’ President Tom Hejl [R – At large], who is also a law enforcement veteran.
    http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/06...tereaders.html
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Yeah Buddy. Way to Go, Sheriff Evans. Not sure how this makes students safer, but whatever. Also see that body cameras are being bought. So, now the true meaning of the "Safety for Students" program is realized, it's a slush fund for the Sheriff to do as he pleases. and of course, no mention of how student safety has been bettered by the cameras. This reporting is missing some critical pieces of information.

1. Who gets access to the data? The Sheriff said he's only after bad guys, but he doesn't say that these machines will only record plates of bad guys. Because of course they wont. They record every single vehicle. And unless otherwise stated, you can assume this data will be given freely over to other databases. Bad guys, good guys, nope, all the guys. Can insurance companies buy access? How about divorce attorneys? Repo companies?

2. How long is the data stored? I think MD has rules for the potable systems they borrow from the Fed, but hose rules only apply to how long MD stores the data, with no apparent restrictions on the data being farmed out before that limit hits.

3. Who will be storing the data? What safeguards does that organization have in place to protect this data? Reporters should do better. It's pretty easy to find out what sorts of questions they should be asking.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Yeah Buddy. Way to Go, Sheriff Evans. Not sure how this makes students safer, but whatever. Also see that body cameras are being bought. So, now the true meaning of the "Safety for Students" program is realized, it's a slush fund for the Sheriff to do as he pleases. and of course, no mention of how student safety has been bettered by the cameras. This reporting is missing some critical pieces of information.

1. Who gets access to the data? The Sheriff said he's only after bad guys, but he doesn't say that these machines will only record plates of bad guys. Because of course they wont. They record every single vehicle. And unless otherwise stated, you can assume this data will be given freely over to other databases. Bad guys, good guys, nope, all the guys. Can insurance companies buy access? How about divorce attorneys? Repo companies?

2. How long is the data stored? I think MD has rules for the potable systems they borrow from the Fed, but hose rules only apply to how long MD stores the data, with no apparent restrictions on the data being farmed out before that limit hits.

3. Who will be storing the data? What safeguards does that organization have in place to protect this data? Reporters should do better. It's pretty easy to find out what sorts of questions they should be asking.
    You should paste this post into the Comments section of TheBayNet article.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Gotta sign up to comment. Feel free to steal it though.
    "I aim to misbehave."

If I may ...

Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post

Exactly. Spot on. Love the one of the comments; "If sheriff Evans would have his people do police work instead of running a paramilitary force, we wouldn't need those cameras." How apropos. Funny how the commissioners, whose job is to question everything and protect the people from these privacy encroachments, always rubber stamp these kinds of programs. And then will later lament how these things happen.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Always follow the money...
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Except human eyewitnesses don't have an exceptionally long memory and are subject to hacking.
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

You all must be criminals and thugs, anti-police, anti-law and order.

Like I've never heard anyone of wit say something like, "those that would trade away their rights for security will end up having neither".
    Your signature can not be longer than 100 characters - BS

I'm from the Calvert Sheriff's Dept and I'm here to help
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	118948
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Always follow the money...

Well, the plate readers usually don't make money. Not like RLCs or speed cameras. Now, can you sell access to the data to bail bond folks, repo companies? ? Dunno. Maybe just Sheriff Evans going max police state. His troopers are dressed for the apocalypse every day.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Members who have read this thread: 78