A Tide of drug user's theft

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
The post about the woman that Obama released from jail prompted this post. Seems a woman that was released from a life sentence for selling crack got clemency and a new lease on life. But stealing tide detergent landed her back in jail.

It seems Tide detergent is like prison cigarettes, a pseudo currency in some neighborhoods. It always fascinates me with how trends and fads got started. Think pokemon go, fidget spinner and the term fo shizzle.

For quite a few years now drug users have been shoplifting soap to resell and use the profits for dope. Now it's caught on and all the dopers are doing it and all their friends have nice clean clothes.

The call that came in from a local Safeway one day in March 2011 was unlike any the Organized Retail Crime Unit of the Prince George’s County Police Department had fielded before. The grocery store, located in suburban Bowie, Maryland, had been robbed repeatedly. But in every incident the only products taken were bottles—many, many bottles—of the liquid laundry detergent Tide. “They were losing $10,000 to $15,000 a month, with people just taking it off the shelves,” recalls Sergeant Aubrey Thompson, who heads the team.

It turned out the detergent wasn’t #being used as an ingredient in some new recipe for getting high, but instead to buy drugs themselves. Tide bottles have become ad hoc street currency, with a 150-ounce bottle going for either $5 cash or $10 worth of weed or crack cocaine. On certain corners, the detergent has earned a new nickname: “Liquid gold.” The Tide people would never sanction that tag line, of course. But this unlikely black market would not have formed if they weren’t so good at pushing their product.

http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

Chris0nllyn

That's been around for some time. Along with razor blades.

You can always tell when you're in a bad neighborhood when the laundry detergent is locked up.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
That's been around for some time. Along with razor blades.

You can always tell when you're in a bad neighborhood when the laundry detergent is locked up.

Years ago only the gas stations in sketchy parts of town required you to enter your zip code when paying at the pump with a credit card. Then it seemed like that trend caught on everywhere. So far in New England the last 2 fill ups didn't require it. They are either very trusting or behind the times

Clem72

oNN6Gbl.jpg

black dog

Free America
All this makes me miss working in the city's, I'll have to go to East Indianapolis this weekend to get my fix of pointing to want I want to buy to the clerk through the 1" plexiglass walls. Ahhhhhh.. memories of working in West Balmor.

Chris0nllyn

All this makes me miss working in the city's, I'll have to go to East Indianapolis this weekend to get my fix of pointing to want I want to buy to the clerk through the 1" plexiglass walls. Ahhhhhh.. memories of working in West Balmor.

Last time I was out there I mistakenly drove through East Indy.

Went to a ####ty gun range (Family Indoor Shooting Range) out there. You know things are bad when a gun range gets 2.6 stars on Google.

black dog

Free America
Last time I was out there I mistakenly drove through East Indy.

Went to a ####ty gun range (Family Indoor Shooting Range) out there. You know things are bad when a gun range gets 2.6 stars on Google.

Yep, I know of it. It used to be called Pop Guns. East Indy is a tough part of town.
It's best to stay right downtown or North of the Indy beltway.
If you happen to Indy again, hit a range on the North end of town around Carmel or any public indoor ranges in Hamilton Co.
I sometimes shoot Friday Night Steel at Marion County Fish and Game.

black dog

Free America
Didn't work. An ad for a $5000 loan if you opened a Paypal business account this time. Then again...

That could be a eBay adult extravaganza with a new Pay Pal card..
The seemingly endless supply of nondescript brown paper boxes arriving daily for weeks on end. Don't forget a case Energizer's....

black dog

Free America
I worked a short time out at Ft. Ben Harrison. Not sure if this is the east Indy that you are referring to.

I put a elevator in the building that the proshop is or was for the golf course.
Yes, that in East Indy just outside of the beltway. It really turns inside the beltway a bit.
Miles of liquor stores the downtrodden and empty homes.