Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 413

Thread: Bake the cake

  1. #1
    INGSOC GURPS's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Peoples Republic Of Maryland
    Posts
    31,924

    Bake the cake

    BAKE THE CAKE: Stunning Number Of Americans Think Government Should Force Religious Businesses To Serve Gays


    Bake the cake, bigot.

    A new PRRI survey found that a majority of Americans, a stunning 61%, believe businesses should not be allowed to refuse services or products to gay people based on religious grounds. So, for example, if a religious baker is asked by a gay couple to bake their wedding cake, that baker, despite their religious objections, should be forced to provide the cake or face the consequences of the government.

    "Only half (50%) of white evangelical Protestants and fewer than half of Mormons (42%), Hispanic Protestants (34%), black Protestants (25%), and Jehovah’s Witnesses (25%) believe small business owners should be granted permission to refuse services to gay and lesbian people," the survey found.

    A frightening amount of support for the infringement of the First Amendment, indeed.

    PRRI's 2016 American Values Atlas findings were based on roughly 40,000 people from across all 50 states, interviewed on issues concerning religiously-based service refusal, as well as sex-same marriage, among other topics.

    I really wonder where they conduct these polls

    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

    “There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

    And if a statue can oppress you, then I submit that you have greater issues. - A West.

  2. #2
    Talk Show Host hotbikermama40's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Dorf
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    I really wonder where they conduct these polls

    Carefully selected college campuses?
    Some folks just need a high-five. Some just need a high-five to the face.

  3. #3
    #*! boat! Gilligan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    41,724
    Blog Entries
    7
    I'm on record..my company won't sell a gay couple one of our half-million dollar yacht stabiliser systems.

    Unless they can pay for it. Then..well...we're good.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  4. #4
    Almost everything I make is sold wholesale, but if Bobbybear called and wanted xxx amount of tools I make personalized,, with like Peter Puffers Irrigation Co on them,,
    I would say hang on one second and I'll work you up a price sir. And how many gross of that model did you need again Sir.. and please fax me the PDF of the artwork Sir.


    The fun we would have building those..
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,815
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    Almost everything I make is sold wholesale, but if Bobbybear called and wanted xxx amount of tools I make personalized,, with like Peter Puffers Irrigation Co on them,,
    I would say hang on one second and I'll work you up a price sir. And how many gross of that model did you need again Sir.. and please fax me the PDF of the artwork Sir.


    The fun we would have building those..
    25 years ago people would have laughed at the gays.
    Today they have been accepted by the majority of Americans.

    Why fight it. It's a lost cause. Hell they are teaching kids in school that being gay is just hunky dory.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    25 years ago people would have laughed at the gays.
    Today they have been accepted by the majority of Americans.

    Why fight it. It's a lost cause. Hell they are teaching kids in school that being gay is just hunky dory.
    I don't believe they are that accepting here in the Bible belt. Maybe in the big citys but that's about it.
    The one Methodist Church in the town I live in closed say 2 years ago over the adult choir director being gay. A few members just couldn't live and let live, and just kept pushing the topic.
    A new minister was brought in and shortly thereafter a vote was taken and the director was replaced and he was told to find a new church.. within a year there wasn't enough membership to pay the bills and keep the church open. The building and parsonage is still up for sale..

    And yes I agree with the kids, my son ( 18 ) could really care less what color or orientation someone is.
    Last edited by black dog; 06-22-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  7. #7
    #*! boat! Gilligan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    41,724
    Blog Entries
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I don't believe they are that accepting here in the Bible belt. Maybe in the big citys but that's about it.
    The one Methodist Church in the town I live in closed say 2 years ago over the adult choir director being gay. A few members just couldn't live and let live, and just kept pushing the topic.
    A new minister was brought in and shortly thereafter a vote was taken and the director was replaced and he was told to find a new church.. within a year there wasn't enough membership to pay the bills and keep the church open. The building and parsonage is still up for sale..

    And yes I agree with the kids, my son ( 18 ) could really care less what color or orientation someone is.
    . Bet them fellers sure could sing though....and the pot luck suppers!!?..oh my
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    21,815
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I don't believe they are that accepting here in the Bible belt. Maybe in the big citys but that's about it.
    The one Methodist Church in the town I live in closed say 2 years ago over the adult choir director being gay. A few members just couldn't live and let live, and just kept pushing the topic.
    A new minister was brought in and shortly thereafter a vote was taken and the director was replaced and he was told to find a new church.. within a year there wasn't enough membership to pay the bills and keep the church open. The building and parsonage is still up for sale..

    And yes I agree with the kids, my son ( 18 ) could really care less what color or orientation someone is.
    Well if they left because the Homo Choir director left, they must accept it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    . Bet them fellers sure could sing though....and the pot luck suppers!!?..oh my
    The director was damn near opryotic, like Orbison. Half of the folks just couldn't move past it..
    Proud to be a cereal comma user.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hijinx View Post
    25 years ago people would have laughed at the gays.
    Today they have been accepted by the majority of Americans.

    Why fight it. It's a lost cause. Hell they are teaching kids in school that being gay is just hunky dory.

    And 75 years ago people laughed at black people or people with mental disabilities or Jews or polish people. Is that really where you wanna go back to?

    And for the millionth time of you job is baking cakes you aren't doing anything different baking a cake for a gay person or straight person or a black person.

    If they asked you too officiate the wedding I can see why you would have an objection but by doing the same thing you do every day and absolutely nothing different you aren't encouraging homosexuality.

    What if your cakes got popular and you started supplying them to grocery stores. Would you ask the grocery store to ask every customer if they were gay?

  11. 06-23-2017, 12:21 AM

Members who have read this thread: 100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |