Deuteronomy 12 Blood is Life

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 12:26 But take your consecrated things and whatever you have vowed to give, and go to the place the Lord will choose. 27 Present your burnt offerings on the altar of the Lord your God, both the meat and the blood. The blood of your sacrifices must be poured beside the altar of the Lord your God, but you may eat the meat. 28 Be careful to obey all these regulations I am giving you, so that it may always go well with you and your children after you, because you will be doing what is good and right in the eyes of the Lord your God.​

My mother told a story that is set back at here childhood home back in the 40's. She said there wasn't a lot of food back then [rationing I guess] but Granddaddy had just slaughtered his chickens and sheep to feed his wife and seven children. They were all gathered around the table, about to eat, when one of my uncles blurted out "Baaah". Grandmom broke down in tears and left the table and my uncle got a visit out behind the shed [to put it nicely]. I don't know why this story comes to mind this morning.... but there it is.

I got the commentary from blueletterbible.org.

Since the blood was the picture of life in any animal or man (for the blood is the life), God would not allow Israel to eat meat that had not been properly bled. Instead, it was to be given to God by pouring it out on the earth.​

Here's the commentary from the easy English site.

Moses told the Israelites again about how to eat meat. God would choose a special place. So Moses told them what to do if they lived too far away from that place. God did not allow them to eat blood. The blood caused the animal to live. Instead, they must pour the blood out on the ground. Then they would not pour it on an altar that belonged to a false god. If they obeyed, they would receive God’s blessing.

:coffee: