Zuckerberg Walkabout

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A truck stop teaches Mark Zuckerberg that politics is hard

So if this actually is an indicator that Zuck is thinking of dipping a toe in the political pool he’ll probably want to be on his A game. Sadly, a trip to the world’s largest truck stop, located in the key primary state of Iowa, didn’t get things off to a sizzling start. Gizmodo covers the action for us and it’s truly painful to behold. If there’s anyone in the country right now who embodies the SJW definition of the word “privilege” it’s Zuckerberg, and when he was unleashed in the midst of a bunch of grizzled operators of 18 wheelers it truly showed.

[W]hen Zuck rolled up to “The World’s Largest Truckstop,” in Iowa, automated driving was on his mind. First, he had to tell us what a truck stop actually is:

It’s like a small city where truckers on long trips can take a break, get something to eat, get a haircut, do laundry, get their truck washed — or their dog washed! — and even go to the dentist…

I asked the truckers what’s changed over the last few decades. When the truckers I met started driving, you logged your driving hours on pieces of paper. Now it’s electronic and automatic, which makes it harder to drive more hours than you’re supposed to. Some people said they want to work longer, but they feel like regulations are getting in the way of their freedom and doing what they want to do.

From there he goes on to chat with some truckers to get their take on driverless vehicles and how that might impact their line of work. They were skeptical, but Zuck’s only response to that seemed to be one of puzzlement as to why they couldn’t understand that he was going to put them out of business. On the plus side, nobody actually beat him up.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you want to be viewed as a man of the people and prove that you’re in touch with their issues and ambitions, it’s probably best not to walk into a vignette of rural America and act like you’ve just entered a petting zoo on an alien planet.

:roflmao:

"Look, Mom! Are those real truckers?? Can I feed 'em?"

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
If you want to be viewed as a man of the people and prove that you’re in touch with their issues and ambitions, it’s probably best not to walk into a vignette of rural America and act like you’ve just entered a petting zoo on an alien planet.

:roflmao:

"Look, Mom! Are those real truckers?? Can I feed 'em?"

I thought that was the best part
.... at least Trump has 50 yrs experience having to deal with people
.... what does old Zuk have 10 yrs since college
.... building his 400 million dollar compound in Hawaii
- with its high walls where he managed to piss off the locals

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Here is a good story on Zuck's travels:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/25/technology/zuckerberg-harvard-commencement-road-trip.html

The trips are part of a real-world education for Mr. Zuckerberg, who grew up comfortably upper middle class in the suburbs of New York, walked the elite halls of Harvard and then moved to Silicon Valley, where he became a paper multibillionaire by the time he was 23. (He is now 33.)

It's easy to make fun of this, but I applaud it. He's getting out there and seeing the rest of the country, seeing how people live, the part that is normal and working class and has traditional values - how can that be a bad thing? I think all cocooned liberals should get out and get an education - maybe then they'd stop making stupid declarations and being so ignorant. And if it's a precursor to him running for office, why is that bad? Shouldn't all politicians be aware of the America outside their socialization with other liberal billionaires?

There's snark about him documenting it and posting it on FB - so? So are Monello and I and nobody wants to complain about us.

I think it's awesome that he's doing this. Here's a link to his FB if you want to follow his travels: https://www.facebook.com/zuck

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
we will see ...

... right now he is an out of touch progressive elitist who never worked a hard day is his life

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
we will see ...

... right now he is an out of touch progressive elitist who never worked a hard day is his life

No, he used to be an out of touch progressive elitist. He's trying to fix that right now.

Wishbone

No, he used to be an out of touch progressive elitist. He's trying to fix that right now.

And a year from now he'll still be an "out of touch progressive elitist"

This time with a few dozen "peasant" stories to tell his comrades at all of the proglodyte parties.

I'm wondering if he's purelling right after shaking hands or waiting until they're out of site.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I'll wait and see ....

I will believe him to be a changed man, truly enlightened when Facebook starts changing its policies towards NON ProgBOTS
.... taking a more neutral approach towards news, politics, and Republicans / Conservitives

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The hatred for wealth and success in this thread is dismaying.

I have said nothing against wealth and success ....
I am merely taking a wait and see attitude towards Zuck having a Damascus Road Experience regarding Middle American / Conservatives

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have said nothing against wealth and success ....
I am merely taking a wait and see attitude towards Zuck having a Damascus Road Experience regarding Middle American / Conservatives

I don't discriminate between wealthy and poor democrats.

My disdain for both is equally spread.

We're always saying that the Left needs to get a clue. So now a prominent one of them is trying to do just that, and we want to criticize him? Why?

And yes, GURPS, you pretty much stated your hatred for wealth and success with this line:

we will see ...

Not that you would know, but starting a business is indeed hard work, and growing it to success is work as well, and I'm guessing that growing it to the level of Facebook is exhausting. We're supposed to be motivated and inspired by success, not be jealous and try to tear it down.

This_person

:bs:

Mike Rowe Works hard ..... Zuck was lucky

I'm guessing Zuck worked hard as well as was lucky. Mike Rowe is pretty lucky, too. I'm not sure voice-overs of fishing shows is back-breaking hard work, y'know? That's not to disparage Mike, just putting things in perspective.

I've worked as a machinist, an injection-molder, store clerk, technician, plant operator, and now management behind a desk. All are/were hard work of different types.

Wishbone

I've driven a truck/tractor trailer, been a lineman for a contractor to PEPCO and SMECO, loaded 16 tons of number 9 coal, been a computer technician, system engineer and now management (ugh).

Mr Zuckerberg will never understand any of what is important to working class Americans because he has no understanding of their woes or desires. Everything is done for him, you can bet on that. He doesn't worry over bills, medical needs or any middle America problem.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Mr Zuckerberg will never understand any of what is important to working class Americans because he has no understanding of their woes or desires.
Everything is done for him, you can bet on that. He doesn't worry over bills, medical needs or any middle America problem.

:yay:

said better than I could ......
I've stood Guard Duty in a Motor Pool full of Hummers in Korea ... in the freezing rain or 15 below in the snow
cleared sewer blockages standing in 4 inches of crappy water in a basement of a DC Apartment Building @ 23:00 on a Saturday Night
I've Hustled Side JOBS doing Plumbing work for myself
put the dough in a pizza pan / delivered pizzas on a Friday night / dispatched drivers working the front counter on Super Bowl Sunday
Laid 4 inch PVC in a 36 way duct bank in the summer sun for the Branch Ave METRO Station
Pulled MC Cable across bar joists in a new CVS in 98 degree weather 25 ft off the floor in a lift

and yeah the easiest job I have now is working on computers when they break

Zuckerberg may 'work hard' but he damn sure ain't worrying where is next pay check is coming from, or ever had to worry about where his next check was coming from

I wish him luck discovering America