Thread: Identify a Bird

Registered User OldHillcrestGuy's Avatar

Identify a Bird

I'm usually pretty good about different types of birds, but I have had a visitor at my feeder the past couple of days that's mostly black and on his wing there is red area, I'm thinking redwing black bird. Today I got a closer look, and after the red area there is a big yellow stripe next to the red. Anyone know ?

We have the same kind of bird at our feeders, not sure what they are. If you find out, let me know.

Man, I'm still here !!!
    Name:  th.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  6.8 KB

that was my guess too, googles your friend ;-)

Man, I'm still here !!!
    also they hardly ever visit my feeders.... what are you feeding them? Me black oilseeds and suet blocks.

Although my feeders were thick with them over the winter, I haven't seen many since April. I'm guessing they've moved back into the marshy areas to build nests and care for their young.
    "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever." - Shane Falco

Go with your hunch...I see them while kayaking--they love the marsh grasses. Not fond of forest.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by OldHillcrestGuy View Post
    Today I got a closer look, and after the red area there is a big yellow stripe next to the red.
    That's a redwing blackbird all right. See them all over some parts of Maryland, especially the eastern shore.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    Redwing blackbird. They're thick as thieves in Wisconsin; always on the telephone wires above the cornfields.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

We have/had redwing blackbirds at our feeders in Calvert and Montgomery.

Share a story. Yesterday, there was a crow sitting on our bench on the deck for hours. He looked very beat up; a wound by his beak and his tail feathers looked very short. Not sure what happened to him. Two other crows kept coming to check on him. We didn't know what to do if the crow in question didn't leave; like pooping everywhere, and the poor thing just cawed and cawed. Almost called Animal Control, but then the crow was gone. Unusual. That's all.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

Members who have read this thread: 55