U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of congregation in Missouri church-state case

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
U.S. Supreme Court rules in favor of congregation in Missouri church-state case

The justices on Monday ruled 7-2 in favor of Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia, Mo. The church sought a grant to put a soft surface on its preschool playground, but was denied any money even though its application was ranked fifth out of 44 submissions.

Chief Justice John Roberts said for the court that it "is odious to our Constitution" to exclude the church from the grant program. Roberts said that's true even though the consequences are only "a few extra scraped knees."

The case is Trinity Lutheran Church of Columbia vs. Carol S. Comer, the director of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources. At issue was a 19th-century state constitutional amendment that prohibits state resources from going to religious institutions.

Poor Sappy ...... those icky Christians

stgislander

PREMO Member
Sotomayor and Ginsburg dissented. It's always interesting to read the dissents.

(Damn, I miss Tilted.)

Sapidus

So it's okay for the government to to tax us and take our money and give it to churches but you don't want them to tax is and use that money for planned parenthood because some of it may go toward abortion not to mention complaint about your tax money going to lazy people who are perfectly able bodied.

You people make no sense

How do you think that makes non religious people feel ?

And why do you think that is in line with the separation of church and state?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
How do you think that makes non religious people feel ?

And why do you think that is in line with the separation of church and state?

We really don't care how butt hurt you feel.

The ruling has nothing to do with the establishment of a religion....boy you're stupid......just sayin'

hotbikermama40

So it's okay for the government to to tax us and take our money and give it to churches but you don't want them to tax is and use that money for planned parenthood because some of it may go toward abortion not to mention complaint about your tax money going to lazy people who are perfectly able bodied.

You people make no sense It may sound trite, but coming from you, that's a compliment, dude.

How do you think that makes non religious people feel ? Um, the same as anyone else? The grant money awarded is not to promote religion, dumbass. It's to improve conditions for children at play.

And why do you think that is in line with the separation of church and state? Easy...because it has nothing to do with what the separation of church and state is about.

I marked some of your words in red...again, to try and make sense of what you were sputtering. Oh, and the redlined statement regarding PP, because surely you meant to say "all of it will be used toward abortion and none of it toward prenatal care, even though they say they offer it but they're lying"

...right?

Sapidus

Sounds like a bunch more excuses to me.

So every tax dollar goes to abortion at PP? Can you provide a scrap of evidence for that statement or are you just a conspiracy nut?

That's good to know that they performed two abortions on me when I was a young man. They are so sneaky those abortion pushers.

So the ends justify the means is I guess your argument?

How would you feel if the funds were donated to a playground at your local mosque?

Last edited:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
There are a couple of other things to take into consideration here regarding this.
1) Does the preschool limit its enrollment to just children of congregants or is it open to whomever wants to enroll their child in a faith based pre school?

2) Is this playground otherwise used by the public during non school hours? Case in point> In New Bern, NC (IIRC) there is a huge Episcopalian Church that has a school on site and an adjoining playground. After school hours, this playground which is in the heart of downtown, is open for public use. When my boys were younger we would hit the playground while the women hit the shops that are directly across the street.

hotbikermama40

That's good to know that they performed two abortions on me when I was a young man. They are so sneaky those abortion pushers.

Yes...they should have spoken to your mom earlier, I guess.

So the ends justify the means is I guess your argument?

How would you feel if the funds were donated to a playground at your local mosque?

The funds aren't donations, Sappy. It's money from a grant, which means there are conditions the church must follow, i.e. what the money is used for (which will NOT be for the promotion in any way, shape or form of their religion.) But to answer your question, it wouldn't bother me one bit if any mosque committed to the competitive application process and was awarded grant money in the same situation.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
But to answer your question, it wouldn't bother me one bit if any mosque committed to the competitive application process and was awarded grant money in the same situation.

Sappy will never understand that. Wait...I think I heard a head explode...

Sapidus

Yes...they should have spoken to your mom earlier, I guess.

The funds aren't donations, Sappy. It's money from a grant, which means there are conditions the church must follow, i.e. what the money is used for (which will NOT be for the promotion in any way, shape or form of their religion.) But to answer your question, it wouldn't bother me one bit if any mosque committed to the competitive application process and was awarded grant money in the same situation.

That's BS and you know it. You would be up in arms if it went to a Mosque based on your posting history.

And no response as to where you discovered this information about PP's funding?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's BS and you know it. You would be up in arms if it went to a Mosque based on your posting history.

Sappy will never understand that. Wait...I think I heard a head explode...

PeoplesElbow

My grade school used the parking lot of the Methodist Church across the street to play kickball in back in the 1980's, they still do to this day. I wonder if that is some sort of violation.

hotbikermama40

You don't understand what goes on in your own head and never make sense in your posts; don't even pretend you've figured out what I would be "up in arms" about from my posting history.

And you just keep right on lying...unless you're the only one left who hasn't seen, read about or even heard about the exposure of PP's actual vs. advertised services.

Sapidus

You don't understand what goes on in your own head and never make sense in your posts; don't even pretend you've figured out what I would be "up in arms" about from my posting history.

And you just keep right on lying...unless you're the only one left who hasn't seen, read about or even heard about the exposure of PP's actual vs. advertised services.

I know from your posts that you are homophobic and enjoy casual racism so why Islam would be any different ? you are right. I don't understand.

You are mostlikely referring to the the edited videos which the director of is now facing charges over and we know were spliced together?

Fake news

So please show me where "all of tax payers dollars go to abortion at planned parenthood"

hotbikermama40

I know from your posts that you are homophobic and enjoy casual racism so why Islam would be any different ? you are right. I don't understand.

You know nothing of the sort. Disagreeing with homosexuality doesn't BINGO! make a homophobic bigot. If that were true, then by definition you'd be Christian-phobic and as big a bigot as you declare everyone else must be. So sit your manic, tantrum ass down and shut up.

You are mostlikely referring to...

PERFECT example of you not knowing what you think you do. I was referring to an investigation done that exposed PP for its false claims of being a provider of prenatal care, services that would help to (I know, this is gonna sound nuts...) plan for parenthood. From that investigation, the public was informed of the fact that 95% of PP locations only offer abortions.

So please show me where "all of tax payers dollars go to abortion at planned parenthood"

And please show ME where I said "all of tax payers' dollars go to abortion" at PP. Because what I said was that all of their funding, not just "some" would. But I'll grant you that maybe a short percentage would go to some new website developments they've needed over the past four or five months

Sapidus

PERFECT example of you not knowing what you think you do. I was referring to an investigation done that exposed PP for its false claims of being a provider of prenatal care, services that would help to (I know, this is gonna sound nuts...) plan for parenthood. From that investigation, the public was informed of the fact that 95% of PP locations only offer abortions.

Okay well then I'm sure you will have no troubling producing evidence of that. Please provide a link. That would be very interesting reading.

And please show ME where I said "all of tax payers' dollars go to abortion" at PP. Because what I said was that all of their funding, not just "some" would. But I'll grant you that maybe a short percentage would go to some new website developments they've needed over the past four or five months[/QUOTE]

You said it in your first post. You said all tax dollars go to abortion not prenatal care.