Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 84

Thread: Narcan

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Restitution View Post
    Reviving a deceased heroin addict for the 4th or 5th time is not treatment. It is enabling.
    :
    So where else in the Health Field do we make changes​ for bad choices?
    The overweight diabetic that's been on State Insurance for the last 25 years and is blind, has had 4 or 5 operations amputating a few toes and the both feet and then one leg?
    Along with dozens of ambulance rides because he just can't stay away from the Pepsi's?
    What's the cost of daily supply's to keep him alive because of his lifelong bad choices???

    The Veteran in the VA hospital that has lung and heart problems from 60 years of smoking?
    We seem not to have a problem taking care of them.. seems kinna hypocritical to me..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I get it and I tend to agree, but that's gonna be tough on LE and First responders that deal with this on a daily basis. Who will fill those jobs when they just sit by and watch folks die up to a few times a day in some areas..
    The dead will be shortly littering the sidewalks up like cordwood.
    "in some areas"
    try HERE. People are od'ing a few times a day HERE. In St. Mary's County. Southern MD. The Director of the Lexington Park Rescue Squad was quoted in a recent article as saying that they are responding to OD calls up to 10 time A DAY. Here - LP area alone.

    Pure insanity.

    What in the hell is our local police drug enforcement division doing? Why is it so hard to find and put away the people that are literally killing off our communities? What exactly are the valid excuses?

    And while my heart goes out to families - NARCAN producers are clearly benefiting from the increasing addictions...there has to be something to that...

  3. #23
    I Need a Life luvmygdaughters's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2009
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    4,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    How far does that extend?

    A kid who was driving too fast? Why waste time on someone who made the choice to drive 100mph?
    A construction worker not wearing a harness falls off a roof. Why waste time on someone who made the choice not to tie off.
    An alcoholic..

    You get my drift.
    Yes I do, but, there is a difference in someone having an accident and someone who is purposely pumping $hit into their veins for the umpteenth time. You and I have had this discussion before and again, we agree to disagree. I may sound heartless, sorry if I do. I am fortunate in the fact that this is a problem I've not had to deal with on a personal level. But listening to EMT's discuss the call to revive the same guy 3 times in one week and than hearing about some poor elderly person who has to choose between medication and food, makes me sick. To me, it should be a no brainer. If you overdose continually, you're on your own.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    True, but, who is calling EMS for the overdoses? I wonder about this, if an addict is living at home with his/her family, wouldnt the family be taking the addict to rehab, counseling, hospital for treatment? I mean, I can only speak about what I would do if it was a family member. Not too mention, these people who overdose constantly, are putting other peoples lives at risk.
    Family members call (but they too can get free NARCAN, and many with addicts do just that), friends, other addicts, enablers, innocent by-standers - lots of stories about finding people half dead in cars, so someday it might be you...

    As for "wouldn't family members just take them to rehab" - I am guessing you have zero experience with this. It doesn't happen this way. Ever. There is no "just do" anything.

    The ignorance surrounding addiction always astounds me. And conversations regarding "what to do" are nearly impossible because ultimately someone has to face themselves and their own bad decisions in order to really affect change. The free NARCAN question is just the tip of the ice burg on ways we as society are determined to enable addiction.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by inkah View Post
    "in some areas"
    try HERE. People are od'ing a few times a day HERE. In St. Mary's County. Southern MD. The Director of the Lexington Park Rescue Squad was quoted in a recent article as saying that they are responding to OD calls up to 10 time A DAY. Here - LP area alone.

    Pure insanity.

    What in the hell is our local police drug enforcement division doing? Why is it so hard to find and put away the people that are literally killing off our communities? What exactly are the valid excuses?

    And while my heart goes out to families - NARCAN producers are clearly benefiting from the increasing addictions...there has to be something to that...
    You should see the Midwest,, The drugs out here are overwhelming.
    I've never checked the numbers, but when I need to hire a new employee, maybe 3 out of 20 that apply will actually show up to take the pee test and maybe one in fifty will pass.
    We have county's that are now running in the red with all these drug related problems.

    Oh and it's not like Lex Park is a new $hithole, it's been a $hithole for decades.
    Maybe Countys should stop building and supplying subsidized housing and they will move.
    Last edited by black dog; 06-27-2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    You get my drift.
    Yeah...a whole army of straw men are stranded in your drift.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmygdaughters View Post
    Yes I do, but, there is a difference in someone having an accident and someone who is purposely pumping $hit into their veins for the umpteenth time. You and I have had this discussion before and again, we agree to disagree. I may sound heartless, sorry if I do. I am fortunate in the fact that this is a problem I've not had to deal with on a personal level. But listening to EMT's discuss the call to revive the same guy 3 times in one week and than hearing about some poor elderly person who has to choose between medication and food, makes me sick. To me, it should be a no brainer. If you overdose continually, you're on your own.
    I think you are both right. You can't ask an EMT not to administer care.

    There are other issues here though that seem more important:
    Why has the cost of NARCAN increased so much?
    Why are we making it free to the community where other life-saving things are not?
    Why is it so hard for families to get help for their loved ones?
    Why is enabling the norm?
    Why is it so difficult to find and eliminate sources?
    Who are the people making decisions about this issue?
    Where is the community involvement?
    Where is the loved one support (true support, not mere commiseration)?
    How do we hold each other (the nons/the family, the community) accountable?
    Is it even possible to help an addict? If so, what exactly does that look like?
    How DO you make such life altering decisions in the midst of the torment of a loved one's addiction?
    Are our local officials making bad decisions because of their own personal/family experiences and biases?
    It just goes on and on...

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    You should see the Midwest,, The drugs out here are overwhelming.
    I've never checked the numbers, but when I need to hire a new employee, maybe 3 out of 20 that apply will actually show up to take the pee test and maybe one in fifty will pass.
    We have county's that are now running in the red with all these drug related problems.
    Ya, I know. I guess my point is - it isn't valid for us to point to other places places and gasp. WE have this problem. 10 overdoses a day and that is just rising. And those are only responders stats - we also have parents, local community members, rehabs, hospitals, etc, etc who have NARCAN, are trained to administer and may very well be administering OD assistance in addition to responders.

    And if we do look out to what is happening elsewhere, we can see what is coming...

    WHY?

    HOW?

    Besides bitching at each other on a forum - what does a person actually do?

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,213
    [QUOTE=black dog;5783274]You should see the Midwest,, The drugs out here QUOTE]

    wait - you don't even live here?

    bah

  10. #30
    [QUOTE=inkah;5783278]
    Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    You should see the Midwest,, The drugs out here QUOTE]

    wait - you don't even live here?

    bah
    I was born in Bethesda, I lived there 45 yrs. Dotsonville,St Mary's for 10 of that.
    My son lives in Leonardtown..
    Is that good enough..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 137

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |