Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Narcan

Tag'em after the second dose, counsel them that there WILL NOT be a third dose. If I continue to crash my car, showing that I cannot drive, I will not be able to obtain insurance.
    "I aim to misbehave."

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    I was born in Bethesda, I lived there 45 yrs. Dotsonville,St Mary's for 10 of that.
    My son lives in Leonardtown..
    Is that good enough..
    Much like awpitt is the official post content policeman....there are other positions too. ;-)
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

I'm really wrestling with this, because I can see two sides of the argument. On the one hand, I'm as cold-hearted about some things as you could be; it galls me to pay taxes for some of this nonsense.

However, on the other hand, I know personally that it's not just the street trash types that get into this trouble. A few years ago my very honorable, gentle, friendly, well-off mother had to take some opioid medication after surgery, and after a few months (long after we forgot about the original surgery) we found out she was "doctor shopping" to get additional prescriptions that her primary wouldn't give her. If she lived alone, instead of in a solid marriage with my dad and plenty of family support to help her recover, she could easily have fallen into hard drug abuse initially just to kill the pain but ultimately living that street life. And we all know that drug users relapse, so just escaping once isn't always the fix.

Statistics show that just ONE month of opioid drug use can lead to something like a 30% chance of abuse. Even a one day prescription can lead to a 6% chance they'll still be "using" a year later. Is there any wonder the rates are so high?
    http://www.newsweek.com/cdc-opiate-addiction-572498

So how do you assign value to one life over another?

That "street trash" homeless lady you're willing to sacrifice is someone's mom, wife, grandmother, friend. That diabetic multiple amputatee that someone used as an example? He's a dad, grandfather, friend, deacon... how can you set a low value on his life?

No, we have to value life, no matter how painful the process, and find some way to deal with the ugly that goes along with it. With the odds of addiction so high for a relatively common drug, the chances YOU may need such help are far from zero. "Do unto others", and all that.

What's next, not calling an ambulance for injured crime suspects?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    EMT/Fire Departments/Police have a duty to citizens. They don't get to decide who lives or dies.
    Well sure they do. Clearly the addict who ODed wanted to die, and EMT reanimated them. So who got to choose who lived?

That's right: EMT.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I've gone to 4 OD's in 6+ days, every single time a parent or loved one called 911-not another addict, they know what to do. Yes, I do assist in reviving or as Vrai says "reanimating" the addict.
    Drug overdoses are the leading cause of death in folks 50 and under-surpassing trauma, auto accidents, etc. - most of y'all obviously aren't addicted or least want say while on here

Quote Originally Posted by Lilypad View Post
    I've gone to 4 OD's in 6+ days, every single time a parent or loved one called 911-not another addict, they know what to do. Yes, I do assist in reviving or as Vrai says "reanimating" the addict.
    Drug overdoses are the leading cause of death in folks 50 and under-surpassing trauma, auto accidents, etc. - most of y'all obviously aren't addicted or least want say while on here
    How would it affect you if the county / State no longer put narcan on the ambulance and you no longer had the tool to revive opioid overdose's..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

8. 06-28-2017, 12:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by black dog View Post
    How would it affect you if the county / State no longer put narcan on the ambulance and you no longer had the tool to revive opioid overdose's..
    I would "load and go" - do basic EMS skills; CPR if they aren't breathing - apply oxygen, and monitor vitals. The 4 OD's I went to, no one knew what the friend/family member had used...it's not a pretty sight. All 4 patients were out of the ER in a couple of hours...2 were posting on FB; 1 OD'd again and survived and the other patient nothing...

10. 06-28-2017, 02:01 AM

Blog Entries
    How do you determine the difference between an overdose that's going to kill them, and a high that you're getting ready to ruin?

I see all the facebook posts about parents overdosing.. or somebody behind the wheel overdosing.. but they don't look like they are overdosing to me.. they just look passed out and waiting for their high to pass before they do it again.

Serious question, how do you tell the difference? If they are breathing and their heart is still beating do you still give them Narcan??

WHO decided where are EMT's go? We have a limited number of rescue squads, and even more limited Emergency Care units. IF they get a call for an overdose, and a family man down in his front yard possibly having a heart attack who decides who gets the last ambulance available?? Will they divert an rescue squad on the way to an OD when a call like mentioned above comes in?? How about a family in a car accident?? Husband, wife and kids in need of emergency care??
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

If we required a valid prescription for the opioid the person ODd on before giving Narcan, it would reduce the number of doses by a factor of 20. Eventually, it would also reduce the number of ODs as many of the addicts would die off and the rest would get the message. However, I don't see to a legal or ethical way of implementing such a change.

Members who have read this thread: 137