WEIS in Callaway

MissBeanGenes

I have given them more than enough chances. Their produce is simply awful! I bought lettuce, carrots, potatoes and onions on Sunday. Went to use them tonight for dinner and it's all spoiled! I complained previously and got the nice corporate email that they will look into it and thank you for your feedback.......I'm done with them!

keekee

Me too

I have given them more than enough chances. Their produce is simply awful! I bought lettuce, carrots, potatoes and onions on Sunday. Went to use them tonight for dinner and it's all spoiled! I complained previously and got the nice corporate email that they will look into it and thank you for your feedback.......I'm done with them!

I keep going back and every time I leave pissed off... but their location is very convenient for me.
I hate doing all of that math trying to figure out which brand has the best price.
I went twice this week looking for the cheese I like.
Both times it was 5 for $10, but there weren't 5 of them on the shelf. So I could only buy 1 for $3.21 (robbery).
And their green peppers are always on special at 10 for $10 - who the hell needs 10 green peppers?
Almost everything is overpriced unless you succumb to their gimmicks.
I liked Food Lion MUCH better. I wish they would come back.
I really dislike Weis.

angelbaby

Went there on Saturday. When I got home 10 mins after leaving the store I realized I didn't have one of my bags. Called the store. The manager says to me after verifying the items..... "I just put those back. You'll have to shop for them again and make sure you bring your receipt". First of all, it was 10 minutes. Yes, 2 items were perishable but you couldn't put them in a walk in until I returned? Second, I used my weis card which has a phone number linked to it. No one could call? Lastly, she could have apologized since the cashier never put the bag on the counter at all. Nope, Nothing. I seriously HATE that store. I'll drive to leonardtown to food lion 10 miles out of my way.

Potomac

I prefer Food Lion too but find myself in the Callaway Weiss due to its location. My biggest complaint, is the same as it was when it was FL, the generally useless personnel that work there & the management that allows it. I agree with your assessment angelbaby, seems like a pro-active manager could have looked you up via your Weiss card & placed a call - wow that would have been some great customer service!

I have found that oddly enough the young teenage employees are far better than the adults working there. Go figure, typically its the other way around......

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Two words...Amazon Fresh.

I looked into that a few months ago but they don't ship to my area (Lusby). That would make life so much easier though. Until then, it's Giant for me and only Weiss when I need just a few things that I had forgotten while at Giant.

luvmygdaughters

Went there on Saturday. When I got home 10 mins after leaving the store I realized I didn't have one of my bags. Called the store. The manager says to me after verifying the items..... "I just put those back. You'll have to shop for them again and make sure you bring your receipt". First of all, it was 10 minutes. Yes, 2 items were perishable but you couldn't put them in a walk in until I returned? Second, I used my weis card which has a phone number linked to it. No one could call? Lastly, she could have apologized since the cashier never put the bag on the counter at all. Nope, Nothing. I seriously HATE that store. I'll drive to leonardtown to food lion 10 miles out of my way.

Ah Ha!! This could explain why the Food Lion in Leonardtown is always packed!! I used to be able to stop on my way home from work to pick up a couple of things, in and out very quickly, now, its like a day before a predicted blizzard in that place.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Weis sux. When we're in Solomons, Weis is right across the street and I STILL drive to Giant. Of course, in Callaway you're stuck because there isn't another grocery store close by. :ohwell:

When Weis first opened, I went there for ground beef. It was ground in-store fresh, and had ground sirloin and ground round. It's still ground in-store, but now it's just "ground beef" and has no flavor.

Seems to be a trend, offer high quality for a short time to get you in the door, then phase it out for less expensive, lower quality foods.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Of course, in Callaway you're stuck because there isn't another grocery store close by. :ohwell:

Seems like only yesterday when there was just an old bar where the Weis is now.... We've gone back to traveling to L'town for a lot of our groceries.

Potomac

I am always trying to do better with regard to meal planning & shopping. I actually like Shoppers. The store is huge and never seems crowded. The employees are generally helpful & I find their self-checkout fairly simple to use. I really like their ethnic food aisle

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am always trying to do better with regard to meal planning & shopping. I actually like Shoppers. The store is huge and never seems crowded. The employees are generally helpful & I find their self-checkout fairly simple to use. I really like their ethnic food aisle

I like Shoppers, too - for the ethnic aisle, plus they have amazing fried chicken on their hot bar.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Well, no matter how bad Weis is, it's better than not having any grocery at all which was a very distinct possibility when the parents of Food Lion and Giant merged.

kalmd

I stopped at the Weis in California to pick up a 12 pack of Pepsi. They were $6 something, unless I bought some huge amount in order to get the discounted price. No thank you.

Roman

I've noticed that Weis is more expensive than Giant. So now, I go to Giant. I loved Food Lion.

Potomac

Good to know that the hot bar fried chicken at Shoppers is good and reminds me that we have tried the fried chicken at @ Weiss 2x and it was pretty good

Agreed that Weiss in Callaway is better than nothing; I remember those days

I wish I could frequent the Farmers Markets more but the locations and times rarely work for me. Its a shame...... I really don't understand why we don't have better times & locations for our FM in this county, but that is an entire other discussion ...... I find it really disappointing

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Food Lion was a moderate quality store with reasonable prices, not the best, but reasonable. Then Weis came in and made me realize that you don't know what you had until its gone.

Its the same moderate quality as FOOD LION with ridiculous prices. Then they play the ridiculous pricing games where if you buy 10, you get a reasonable price. Who in the world needs 10 avocados at the same time unless you're making a big bowl of Guac for Super Bowl Sunday? Then, they make it so confusing as to what the price is if you buy just 1 or 2. Some times you get the "sale" price if you buy 1, other times you pay full price. You never know until you get to check out and the clerks don't know either.

The only good outcome is that the staff is 100% more polite from when it was food lion, so they obviously do some training.

Anyway, nothing will change as long as everyone puts up with it. Just boycott and go elsewhere even if you are inconvenienced. I go there for small items because it is 1 mile away and I'm not driving 16 miles round trip for a tub of ice cream. My total ticket is rarely over $15 when I go in there.

P.S. We can thank the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT for forcing this upon them. Food Lion was bought out by a larger conglomerate and the government decided that the conglomerate would thus own too many food stores in our area and made them sell the stores. Of course, there is ample competition in this area for groceries and now we have a ####ty store with absurd prices. Sometimes government intervention is good, but more than not these days, it is a Charlie Foxtrot, (can anyone say OBAMA/HoyerCare).

P.S.S. I am especially disgusted because I grew up with Weis Markets in Penna. Back in those days, there was only 1 or 2 stores in a town. The founder lived in my town. He had an indoor swimming pool which was a big deal back in the 70's. Now the kid runs everything and the company is privately held.

ANYWAY, BOYCOTT!

BernieP

Resident PIA
then phase it out for less expensive, lower quality foods.

It's called adjusting to the market.

Why aren't there more Giant stores in St. Mary's? Because the corp doesn't believe there is a sufficient market to make them profitable.