Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible local card fraud .88 cent charge from Bismark ND.

One of my credit cards sends those stupid "checks" that allow you to write a check against your credit card. I always shred them. If someone just tosses them out, it's a perfect way to gain access to someone's credit card.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    The bank cashing the check or the people stealing her money?
    the people stealing the money.

Also, this thread has over 1,000 views...... damn.
    "I aim to misbehave."

The bank cashing the check or the people stealing her money?
    All they need is the information from A check. The banks don't perform even the most basic verification. Many people print checks on regular paper using QuickBooks etc. and the banks will still honor them.

Registered User acommondisaster's Avatar
    Good catch on the charge. You'll probably never know where it came from - all the places you mentioned, if you've ever used your phone to order something, if you paid a bill using the card and they got hacked....it could be more scenarios than any of us can come up with. Continue to be vigilant.
    Chaos breathes life into routine.

5. 06-29-2017, 01:11 AM

Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    All they need is the information from A check. The banks don't perform even the most basic verification. Many people print checks on regular paper using QuickBooks etc. and the banks will still honor them.
    From what she said, they never checked the i.d. of the person cashing it. You would think if it's a check for several thousand dollars one would. I thought most banks won't cash a check unless the person cashing it has enough funds in their own account to cover it in case it bounces? The bank that cashed the first 2 checks is out about $9k, her bank is out $0.

From what she said, they never checked the i.d. of the person cashing it. You would think if it's a check for several thousand dollars one would. I thought most banks won't cash a check unless the person cashing it has enough funds in their own account to cover it in case it bounces? The bank that cashed the first 2 checks is out about $9k, her bank is out $0.
    that can't be correct. perhaps something got lost in translation.

I know somebody this happens to. The .88 cent charge is a test to verify the account account is valid. Imy sons debit card kept getting stolen as soon as he activated it. He didn't even put it in his wallet. The great thing about social media is we found out 10 other people had there's stolen too. Due to the circumstances we think the numbers were stolen from the printing facility because cards were made and used in different states.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovely View Post
    I know somebody this happens to. The .88 cent charge is a test to verify the account account is valid. Imy sons debit card kept getting stolen as soon as he activated it. He didn't even put it in his wallet. The great thing about social media is we found out 10 other people had there's stolen too. Due to the circumstances we think the numbers were stolen from the printing facility because cards were made and used in different states.
    Wife got a call from Citibank this morning about a card that we never activated, seems there was a $600 airline charge against it in Barcelona, Spain yesterday. Card is still glued to the letter inside the envelope it was delivered in 2 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Wife got a call from Citibank this morning about a card that we never activated, seems there was a $600 airline charge against it in Barcelona, Spain yesterday. Card is still glued to the letter inside the envelope it was delivered in 2 years ago.
    Ok, so how does an un-activated card get authorized for a purchase (rhetorical) ? That "safeguard" failed.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Quote Originally Posted by GWguy View Post
    Don't think that places like Amazon are free of that. I never used one particular card. Used it once for an Amazon purchase, first time I had used that service. A week later I had a fraudulent $500 charge to a Best Buy. There was no other place the fraud could have come from.

Every time one of my cards has been compromised it was after using it on Amazon.

Members who have read this thread: 109