Laptop online performance question

stgislander

PREMO Member
My wife wanted to purchase a new laptop PC, but it just so happened that she was given one by a very good friend. Her friend, an older woman, has a tablet that she uses for everything, and didn't want to bother with the laptop.

I check the specs and said sure. (I'll never pass up a used PC.) It's an HP-2000 series with a 1.3GHz AMD E-300 accelerated processor with 4GB SDRAM (expandable up to 8GB) and an AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics processor. The only drawback I see was that it was purchased with Windows 8.1 installed. So far it's a seems like pretty good machine. My wife wanted MS Office installed so I purchased a MS Office subscription. Everything is snappy and quick to load. I also purchased a Norton subscription for it. All is good.

Until I go online. Then everything slows to a crawl. Some websites, like Yahoo.com, are absolutely horrible for delay, but even SoMD.com has noticeable delay. This laptop has both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome installed, and I cannot tell the difference performance-wise between the two. I want to blame the amount of video that websites try to push on you, but my old Dell Dimension 9150 running WinXP here at work doesn't have as much online delay as this laptop has.

And truthfully this is not the only laptop PC that I've used that operates like a dog when online. Are all laptops like this online?

Older HPs are known to have WiFi issues. Are you WiFi or hardwire connected? If it's WiFi, try a direct connect and see if it's better. If it is noticeably better, you may need an updated driver for your WiFi hardware.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Older HPs are known to have WiFi issues. Are you WiFi or hardwire connected? If it's WiFi, try a direct connect and see if it's better. If it is noticeably better, you may need an updated driver for your WiFi hardware.

I was on WiFi, but thinking that might be an issue I went to hardwire. No change that I could notice.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And truthfully this is not the only laptop PC that I've used that operates like a dog when online. Are all laptops like this online?

could be the slower hard drive [5900 rpm or slower] caching the internet files .... replace the hard drive with a SSD and max the system memory.

I would have rolled back to 7 or done a clean install of 10 before handing it over to my wife.

stgislander

PREMO Member
could be the slower hard drive [5900 rpm or slower] caching the internet files .... replace the hard drive with a SSD and max the system memory.

I would have rolled back to 7 or done a clean install of 10 before handing it over to my wife.

Could be the hard drive. It shipped with a 5400 rpm unit. I will look into upgrading if she complains. The additional RAM is on order and will be installed this weekend.

As for the OS, I wish it had been Win 7, and I'm still not completely sold on Win 10. I upgraded my HP netbook from 7 to 10 when it was free and the netbook became unusable online. Plus, I just don't know if I have time or desire anymore to perform an OS upgrade.

stgislander

PREMO Member

In case I want to upgrade to an SSD, what are you using now to clone a hard drive?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
In case I want to upgrade to an SSD, what are you using now to clone a hard drive?

I would not clone, but do a new fresh install .... a good time to roll back to 7

but to answer the question, I used Clonezilla - boots into a command line Linux for partition or disk copying or cloning

before I let my gaming box upgrade to Windows 10

I have upgraded several computers at the compound to Win 10 with no issues in over a year - YMMV

stgislander

PREMO Member
I would not clone, but do a new fresh install .... a good time to roll back to 7

but to answer the question, I used Clonezilla - boots into a command line Linux for partition or disk copying or cloning

before I let my gaming box upgrade to Windows 10

I have upgraded several computers at the compound to Win 10 with no issues in over a year - YMMV

Thanks. I'll consider the rollback to Win 7 Pro 64-bit when I have an extra $170 laying around.

warneckutz

What anti-virus is installed? I've seen Symantec.cloud (endpoint protection) crush a relatively new Windows 10 laptop with 8GB RAM