Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laptop Docking Station - and a KVM?

Quote Originally Posted by warneckutz View Post
    This is what you need... it has multiple ports.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7AU9FTHX&psc=1

1 x display / video - DisplayPort - 20 pin DisplayPort, 1 x display / video - DVI-Digital - 18 pin digital DVI (Single-Link)
    I need this too. Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    I need this too. Thanks for the link!
    You're welcome, perfect timing since I'm looking at a new round of laptops for users I had to see if I wanted to make the jump to new docking stations.
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

Can a KVM switch share an Ethernet port?
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    Just get yourself an ethernet switch.

Although a bit late, a docking station usually gives you many more options. My ole lady works from home, she has a docking station that lets her use two external screens and the laptop screen for three discrete screens. A Y display port adapter plugs into a single display port in the back.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

No Sir

KVM = Keyboard, Video, Mouse
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    No Sir

KVM = Keyboard, Video, Mouse
    Kiiiinda got that by the name, since I've used them before, but not with a docking station.

(shrug) I've seen many that advertise more - one that said it did Ethernet pass-through, which I assume is what I want.
    Wanted to know if anyone had seen or worked with one.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong". Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Kiiiinda got that by the name, since I've used them before, but not with a docking station.

(shrug) I've seen many that advertise more - one that said it did Ethernet pass-through, which I assume is what I want.

must be something new ... the only other option I ever saw was Audio
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.
    - Robert J. Hanlon.

“There is a deeply anti-democratic undercurrent to much of the criticism of the new president, borne aloft by an assumption that democracy is too important to be left to the voters.”

Quote Originally Posted by GURPS View Post
    must be something new ... the only other option I ever saw was Audio

And USB ports. Still not sure why that would
    be needed.

And USB ports. Still not sure why that would
    be needed.
    Because mice and keyboards are mostly USB now, unless you've gone wireless, which requires a Bluetooth USB adapter if you don't have Bluetooth in the laptop.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Sure you're not confusing a KVM with a dock? KVM is strictly a method for getting input to a computer and video out, and a KVM switch allows a single set of keyboard/mouse/video to be used with multiple computers.
    A dock is a hardware extension of a computer which can provide additional capability, like extra vid ports, USB, etc....
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Members who have read this thread: 48