Laptop Docking Station - and a KVM?

SamSpade

I've been given an indication that new policy is I have to use my assigned laptop at home instead of logging in through the secure site with my regular workstation.

Here's the thing - I bought a great workstation and monitors and everything in anticipation of working from home - now, my employer is saying, sorry, but you MUST use your laptop because it is equipped with the ability to encrypt over our VPN. So if you want those dual monitors - you're on your own. The laptop by itself only accepts ONE VGA input, so if I want dual monitors, I have to find my own solution.

Can I just find a good KVM and a docking station - and they will work together? I've never done it, and unlike the good old days when there were computer hardware stores you could just drive to and return it if it didn't work - mostly I have to order online, and I have no idea what to get.

First - does anyone DO this already? Use a KVM with their home workstation and a work provided laptop?

warneckutz

I would think you could get a VGA splitter (pigtail) and hopefully the laptop is smart enough to see it's two different monitors rather than clone the displays

warneckutz

If you get a docking station, I'm guessing it'll offer more inputs you can use... VGA, DVI, DisplayPort, miniDisplayPort ????

SamSpade

I would think you could get a VGA splitter (pigtail) and hopefully the laptop is smart enough to see it's two different monitors rather than clone the displays

(shrug) - I could. Never tried it before. Years ago when I bought KVMs I found there was no standard I could find for cabling, and not everything fit everything I had. Ended up buying a LOT of stuff that just didn't work together.

Since the laptop is a Dell, I figure I could buy one of theirs and the laptop would neatly snap into it. Just trying to figure out how I use the KVM so I can still use my regular workstation.

warneckutz

(shrug) - I could. Never tried it before. Years ago when I bought KVMs I found there was no standard I could find for cabling, and not everything fit everything I had. Ended up buying a LOT of stuff that just didn't work together.

Since the laptop is a Dell, I figure I could buy one of theirs and the laptop would neatly snap into it. Just trying to figure out how I use the KVM so I can still use my regular workstation.

What's the laptop model?

There used to be (been out of touch with IT for a few years..) a USB mini-dock that used one USB in, and gave you KVM out. If you don't need lots of video bandwidth, they worked well and were not hardware or vendor specific. There are also USB-to-Monitor adapters with multiple monitor ports.

Does your laptop support HDMI? You could use that with the one VGA for two monitors.

SamSpade

There used to be (been out of touch with IT for a few years..) a USB mini-dock that used one USB in, and gave you KVM out. If you don't need lots of video bandwidth, they worked well and were not hardware or vendor specific. There are also USB-to-Monitor adapters with multiple monitor ports.

Does your laptop support HDMI? You could use that with the one VGA for two monitors.

I don't know - I DO know that with our Dell E-Port replicator at work, it supports two monitors - I am not sure how it would work if I had to plug it in directly to the back of it should I not use the docking station.

black dog

Free America
I use a Dell Latitude? With a docking station. It came with 2 Display Ports just to run two monitors. I believe you can also configure it to run either three external flat monitors or two flats and the laptop screen if wanted.

PeoplesElbow

Can a KVM switch share an Ethernet port?

Just get yourself an ethernet switch.

Although a bit late, a docking station usually gives you many more options. My ole lady works from home, she has a docking station that lets her use two external screens and the laptop screen for three discrete screens. A Y display port adapter plugs into a single display port in the back.

SamSpade

No Sir

KVM = Keyboard, Video, Mouse

Kiiiinda got that by the name, since I've used them before, but not with a docking station.

(shrug) I've seen many that advertise more - one that said it did Ethernet pass-through, which I assume is what I want.
Wanted to know if anyone had seen or worked with one.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Kiiiinda got that by the name, since I've used them before, but not with a docking station.

(shrug) I've seen many that advertise more - one that said it did Ethernet pass-through, which I assume is what I want.

must be something new ... the only other option I ever saw was Audio

Sure you're not confusing a KVM with a dock? KVM is strictly a method for getting input to a computer and video out, and a KVM switch allows a single set of keyboard/mouse/video to be used with multiple computers.
A dock is a hardware extension of a computer which can provide additional capability, like extra vid ports, USB, etc....