Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K-9 dog dies in hot patrol car

Blog Entries

K-9 dog dies in hot patrol car

I would be shocked if they don't have a policy for keeping the dogs in car in hot weather. Looks like someone dropped the ball in this incident.

A K-9 police officer for the Forest Preserves District of Cook County died from apparent heat exposure while he was left in a patrol car parked at the Oak Forest Police Department on a day when temperatures in the area hit 90 degrees.

A deleted Facebook post from a K-9 Police Memorial Facebook page indicated a day after the incident that the on-duty officer was processing a suspect and left Drago in the car. The post indicated the air conditioner was on, but stopped working and began blowing hot air instead.

drago
    "Is Uncle Monello homeless?"

Monello thinks he is king of the forum, now. Just keep that in mind.
    What bad thing did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Monello View Post
    I would be shocked if they don't have a policy for keeping the dogs in car in hot weather. Looks like someone dropped the ball in this incident.

drago
    Heartbreaking.
    ​​Like I said. JMO, yo! - Roman
    If you ignore the trolls, they starve. - Wishbone

What I have always seen is the cruisers are always left running and the a/c or heat is left on when the dog is left alone in the cruiser.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Sure he feels awful about it.

I have feared that very thing happening when leaving the Air on for my dog, so have stopped doing it.

The canines are their partners and are family to all the deputies I have spoken to. What an awful thing to happen for all involved.
    "It's nice to be important but it's also important to be nice."

Some agencies have heat alarms..... alarm sounds when vehicle is running and reaches a certain temp. Some (a lot) don't have the alarms. The A/C could have easily stopped working in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
    Sure he feels awful about it.

I have feared that very thing happening when leaving the Air on for my dog, so have stopped doing it.
    I just want to understand your post. So, you leave your pup in a running car while you run in the store, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just want to understand your post. So, you leave your pup in a running car while you run in the store, or something?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    Some agencies have heat alarms..... alarm sounds... When the vehicle is running and reaches a certain temp. Some (a lot) don't have the alarms. The A/C could have easily stopped working in this case.

We have two K9 outfitted cruisers, one drug and one find your missing kid dog.
    They come with heavy duty rear seat covering and a second key fob in their vests pocket that l the officer carries that will open a rear door in the need that the officer needs his partner. The button gets pushed and a black rocket launches out of the cruiser to find his partner..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
    Yes
    Ok. I don't get that, but that is your biz. I will mind my biz, now.
    Thanks for the reply.

Members who have read this thread: 49