K-9 dog dies in hot patrol car

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I would be shocked if they don't have a policy for keeping the dogs in car in hot weather. Looks like someone dropped the ball in this incident.

A K-9 police officer for the Forest Preserves District of Cook County died from apparent heat exposure while he was left in a patrol car parked at the Oak Forest Police Department on a day when temperatures in the area hit 90 degrees.

A deleted Facebook post from a K-9 Police Memorial Facebook page indicated a day after the incident that the on-duty officer was processing a suspect and left Drago in the car. The post indicated the air conditioner was on, but stopped working and began blowing hot air instead.

drago

black dog

Free America
What I have always seen is the cruisers are always left running and the a/c or heat is left on when the dog is left alone in the cruiser.

PJay

Sure he feels awful about it.

I have feared that very thing happening when leaving the Air on for my dog, so have stopped doing it.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The canines are their partners and are family to all the deputies I have spoken to. What an awful thing to happen for all involved.

General Lee

Some agencies have heat alarms..... alarm sounds when vehicle is running and reaches a certain temp. Some (a lot) don't have the alarms. The A/C could have easily stopped working in this case.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Sure he feels awful about it.

I have feared that very thing happening when leaving the Air on for my dog, so have stopped doing it.

I just want to understand your post. So, you leave your pup in a running car while you run in the store, or something? :confused:

black dog

Free America
Some agencies have heat alarms..... alarm sounds... When the vehicle is running and reaches a certain temp. Some (a lot) don't have the alarms. The A/C could have easily stopped working in this case.

We have two K9 outfitted cruisers, one drug and one find your missing kid dog.
They come with heavy duty rear seat covering and a second key fob in their vests pocket that l the officer carries that will open a rear door in the need that the officer needs his partner. The button gets pushed and a black rocket launches out of the cruiser to find his partner..

littlelady

God bless the USA
LOL...ok..ask away. Would you rather I leave her in a hot car with no a/c?

Ok. I don't get that you would leave your car running while running in the store. That is like asking for it. If you are just jaunting out for a quick something, why not leave pup at home? Is where you live so safe that you don't have to worry about leaving a running car? If so, good for you. Or, maybe, you have a recent car that you can start from your fob, but keeps it locked. I don't know. Just going by what you posted. :smile:

PJay

Ok. I don't get that you would leave your car running while running in the store. That is like asking for it. If you are just jaunting out for a quick something, why not leave pup at home? Is where you live so safe that you don't have to worry about leaving a running car? If so, good for you. Or, maybe, you have a recent car that you can start from your fob, but keeps it locked. I don't know. Just going by what you posted. :smile:

Safer than most places, yes. Usually in for a quick grab and back out...not a shopping spree. Can never leave her alone, she doesn't like it.

black dog

Free America
Because the dogs in most cases need to be contained in the police car unless there handler is with them. ( The dogs maybe violent if let out unattended. It's safer for the dog and the public staying in the car alone. That's why the side windows have bars and the dog is usually harenessed in the seat.
The AC and the heat is left on if needed.

PJay

Because the dogs in most cases need to be contained in the police car unless there handler is with them. ( The dogs maybe violent if let out unattended. It's safer for the dog and the public staying in the car alone. That's why the side windows have bars and the dog is usually harenessed in the seat.

Makes sense.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Safer than most places, yes. Usually in for a quick grab and back out...not a shopping spree. Can never leave her alone, she doesn't like it.

I am with you on the pup not wanting to be alone. Since, hub works from home, one of us is always home, and we know, for a fact that Daisy cries and barks when left alone, so we alternate. I am glad you live somewhere (I think it is GA, right?) that you feel safe. I have to say that we have spoiled Daisy rotten; she got the overflow after losing our beloved dogs and cats within a two year span. It's all good. :smile: But, still very sad for Drago. :frown:

littlelady

God bless the USA

It is funny that you would mention the dogs needing to be contained. Dot was out with grand dot and Daisy's bro, Toby, on a walk not too long ago, and apparently walked by a cop's house whose K-9 had some how gotten loose, and ran up to them in attack mode. The cop came running out of his house in a panic to get the dog, and asked Dot not to report that the dog was loose. She didn't report it, but it scared the shiat out of her. She doesn't walk down that street, anymore.

Edit: I respect LEO, but I have, also, seen the other side of them. Just sayin'.

Last edited:

PJay

I am with you on the pup not wanting to be alone. Since, hub works from home, one of us is always home, and we know, for a fact that Daisy cries and barks when left alone, so we alternate. I am glad you live somewhere (I think it is GA, right?) that you feel safe. I have to say that we have spoiled Daisy rotten; she got the overflow after losing our beloved dogs and cats within a two year span. It's all good. :smile: But, still very sad for Drago. :frown:

Glad you understand. Dixie is spoiled sweet, she hasn't known a day without me in her sight..except when she went in for a teeth cleaning. When she awoke and I wasn't there she cried/barked so much she lost it for a couple days after.

Plus, sure the neighbors would not enjoy listening to a dog crying.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Glad you understand. Dixie is spoiled sweet, she hasn't known a day without me in her sight..except when she went in for a teeth cleaning. When she awoke and I wasn't there she cried/barked so much she lost it for a couple days after.

Plus, sure the neighbors would not enjoy listening to a dog crying.

Nice to correspond with you again, Home. You have been MIA for a while. We are on the same page. I just feel so bad for Drago; and like you said and others, the cop is probably inconsolable, but he didn't know there would be mechanical failure. Maybe, there will be changes in procedure because of this incident. RIP, Drago.

PJay

Nice to correspond with you again, Home. You have been MIA for a while. We are on the same page. I just feel so bad for Drago; and like you said and others, the cop is probably inconsolable, but he didn't know there would be mechanical failure. Maybe, there will be changes in procedure because of this incident. RIP, Drago.

Nice chatting with you, too. And, I agree and hope so.

Off to sleepville I go. You take care. Night.