Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Someone please start a ferry service!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That's why we wanted to see the Piney Point ferry operation go ahead....so we wouldn't have to drive so far north to be able to head south again.
    Are the Piney Point-to-Virginia and Calvert-to-Eastern Shore studies publicly available? Although I don't see how either could be economically viable, data could change my mind.

ferry will never happen, if it was financial sound it would have been done already

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplesElbow View Post
    It would be nice to have a more direct route to places. Last weekend I went over the Harry Nice Bridge to get to I-95S and thought the trip could have easily been 2 hrs shorter with a more direct route.
    Thats the only one that could make year around sense. Plenty of business connections between pax and contractors / navy in the. Norfolk area. I know one contractor out of Chesapeake, VA who flies himself into St Mary's airport to avoid the drive.
    With the direct connection , SMC, lower Calvert, Cobb Island/Newburg could secede from MD so we could enjoy VA gun laws (and tilt the balance in VA away from McAwful and his ilk).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alicejohn View Post
    Are the Piney Point-to-Virginia and Calvert-to-Eastern Shore studies publicly available? Although I don't see how either could be economically viable, data could change my mind.
    The PP to VA route never had a study that was made public..it was an assumed-risk proposal where the owner/operator, who had two smallish ferries, recently freed up from temporary service in the aftermath of Katrina, was going to assume all the risk and expense, except for the cost of the actual physical landings (a simple concrete shore structure that the ferry drops it's ramp on).

The extensive studies commissioned by VDOT are (or at least, were, for the most part), publicly available. I'll see if the link to those archives still works and post it here if it does. Point: Calvert-to-Eastern shore options were not found to be viable as "stand alone" operations. Connections like that were only viable as feeder or ancillary routes as part of the larger system model. In another interesting and, for my business, disappointing, twist, none of the the route studies for the lower Chesapeake that proposed high-speed ferries (Incat or similar design) proved viable. The economically viable solutions (minimum to no subsidies) were based on very cheap and slow ferry technology.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vince77 View Post
    ferry will never happen, if it was financial sound it would have been done already
    Not so fast.. Maryland isn't doing much of anything, admittedly, but VA has invested a lot of money in various ferry system concepts and definitely have not given up on it yet.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

6. 07-04-2017, 11:22 AM

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    The other fun speedferry ride was down the Sognefjord in a very long and narrow cat. One of the engineers allowed me to peek into the engine pods and I remember it being powered with 16cyl MTU engines. That thing was screaming.
    Those are our primary product..that really fast ferries. And yes, only car ferries have been included in the lower Chesapeake ferry studies, for the most part.

And that helps explain why Norway is my second home....

Here's a very recent picture showing 3 decades worth of vessels I helped design and build in Norway..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	three generations.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	119093

And one of the early 55 mph 350-passenger ferries built in Hyen, Norway..for the start of Malta-Sicily operations in 1987.

Name:	Virtu SES.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	119094
    Last edited by Gilligan; 07-04-2017 at 11:39 AM.

I think I have a solution to this problem, Gilligan gets himself a landing craft and loads up cars on the Maryland side then just lands it in a different spot each time to keep the NIMBYS guessing. He could even cater the landing spot to the riders desires.
    If what I say offends you then you really don't want to hear what I keep to myself.

I think I have a solution to this problem, Gilligan gets himself a landing craft and loads up cars on the Maryland side then just lands it in a different spot each time to keep the NIMBYS guessing. He could even cater the landing spot to the riders desires.
    We thought of that. There was a small landing craft for sale on the road in Dahlgren a few years back. Missed our opportunity with that one.
    "It must be inordinately taxing to be such a boob."
    The Brain

Blog Entries
    Now that's thinking outside of the box!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Those are our primary product..that really fast ferries. And yes, only car ferries have been included in the lower Chesapeake ferry studies, for the most part.

And that helps explain why Norway is my second home....

Here's a very recent picture showing 3 decades worth of vessels I helped design and build in Norway..

Name:	three generations.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	119093

And one of the early 55 mph 350-passenger ferries built in Hyen, Norway..for the start of Malta-Sicily operations in 1987.

Name:	Virtu SES.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	119094
    Cool. Something like that. The bay can't be much choppier than the open med that the thing has to cross to get to Malta. I remember taking a fast ferry from Ooostende to Dover back in the 80s. Not sure whether it was the bottle of tax-free scotch we emptied on the crossing, but I remember arriving extremely nauseated ;-)

Does anyone operate fast car-ferries ? (no semis, just passenger cars).

Members who have read this thread: 152