As California Begins Confiscation, a Lone Judge Defends the Second Amendment

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Remember how gun-controllers mock conservatives who claim that progressives really want to confiscate lawfully owned weapons? Well, someone forgot to tell California progressives to hide their radical cards. Last year the state amended its criminal law. It already banned the sale and transfer of large-capacity magazines. The new law applied to those magazines that were grandfathered in, legally possessed under previous law. As of July 1, 2017, any person who keeps a lawfully purchased and lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine risks a fine and up to one year in a county jail. Or, to quote the judge, “On July 1, 2017, any previously law-abiding person in California who still possesses a firearm magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds will begin their new life of crime.”

The law, however, does play favorites. It exempts “active and retired law enforcement officers” (but not members of the military), “employees of armored car businesses,” and — incredibly — “movie and television actors when magazines are used as a prop.” Not even social justice can stop the Hollywood gravy train.

The little people, however, have but three choices: take the magazine out of the state (I’ll gladly accept donations to my Tennessee stash), sell it to a licensed firearm dealer, or surrender it to law enforcement for destruction. To absolutely no one’s surprise, gun owners appear to be resisting the law. A Sacramento Bee report summarizes their mood: “Talk to gun owners, retailers and pro-gun sheriffs across California and you’ll get something akin to an eye roll when they’re asked if gun owners are going to voluntarily part with their property because Democratic politicians and voters who favor gun control outnumber them and changed the law.”

Hijinx

Remember how gun-controllers mock conservatives who claim that progressives really want to confiscate lawfully owned weapons? Well, someone forgot to tell California progressives to hide their radical cards. Last year the state amended its criminal law. It already banned the sale and transfer of large-capacity magazines. The new law applied to those magazines that were grandfathered in, legally possessed under previous law. As of July 1, 2017, any person who keeps a lawfully purchased and lawfully possessed large-capacity magazine risks a fine and up to one year in a county jail. Or, to quote the judge, “On July 1, 2017, any previously law-abiding person in California who still possesses a firearm magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds will begin their new life of crime.”

The law, however, does play favorites. It exempts “active and retired law enforcement officers” (but not members of the military), “employees of armored car businesses,” and — incredibly — “movie and television actors when magazines are used as a prop.” Not even social justice can stop the Hollywood gravy train.

The little people, however, have but three choices: take the magazine out of the state (I’ll gladly accept donations to my Tennessee stash), sell it to a licensed firearm dealer, or surrender it to law enforcement for destruction. To absolutely no one’s surprise, gun owners appear to be resisting the law. A Sacramento Bee report summarizes their mood: “Talk to gun owners, retailers and pro-gun sheriffs across California and you’ll get something akin to an eye roll when they’re asked if gun owners are going to voluntarily part with their property because Democratic politicians and voters who favor gun control outnumber them and changed the law.”

Kalifornia. This is America, not Australia where the pussies turned in their guns and sulked.
We have rights and many are prepared to fight for those rights.
Kalifornia a sanctuary state for illegals, passing BS laws to make criminals out of citizens.

They will turn loose the criminals in their jails to make room for previously decent citizens they turn into outlaws with their Unconstitutional laws.

black dog

Free America
Kalifornia. This is America, not Australia where the pussies turned in their guns and sulked.
We have rights and many are prepared to fight for those rights.
Kalifornia a sanctuary state for illegals, passing BS laws to make criminals out of citizens.

They will turn loose the criminals in their jails to make room for previously decent citizens they turn into outlaws with their Unconstitutional laws.

I'll just start with 80+ firearms banned in MD, no transfer of certain magazines,
The State still not doing instacheck with handguns, a handgun permit...
And there's been no armed actions by the citizens..

Hijinx

I'll just start with 80+ firearms banned in MD, no transfer of certain magazines,
The State still not doing instacheck with handguns, a handgun permit...
And there's been no armed actions by the citizens..

But most of the citizens ARE armed

We know Maryland is a politically ####ed up state.------------------------------It's run by Democrats.
We elected a Republican Governor who needs a Democrat legislature . We are working on it.

Our biggest problem here in Md. is that we are too close to DC and our suburbs are filled with refugees,from there
and lefties who fill the Government jobs.

Last edited:

philibusters

This is an area of the law that has changed a lot recently (and the trend has been to give gun owners more rights). When I was in law school (2005-2008), the Second Amendment was not considered applicable to the states. It only applied to teh Federal gov't. The Heller case changed that. So 10 years ago this would not have even been an issue, now it is

Hijinx

This is an area of the law that has changed a lot recently (and the trend has been to give gun owners more rights). When I was in law school (2005-2008), the Second Amendment was not considered applicable to the states. It only applied to teh Federal gov't. The Heller case changed that. So 10 years ago this would not have even been an issue, now it is

IMO a few were able to take advantage of Heller, but for most the only thing it proved is that a city council can pass laws faster than the SCOTUS can prove them Unconstitutional

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I find this statement ridiculous. Part of becoming a member state to the Union, meant adopting, and recognizing, that the US Constitution was the Supreme Law of the Land. That the supreme law of the land did not just apply to the federal government, but must be adhered to by the states as well. This is like saying that the 4th amendment isn't applicable to states either and that states can can do warrentless searches without fear of repercussion. If that is what they were teaching in law school then, you should demand a refund.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
If I may ...

I find this statement ridiculous. Part of becoming a member state to the Union, meant adopting, and recognizing, that the US Constitution was the Supreme Law of the Land. That the supreme law of the land did not just apply to the federal government, but must be adhered to by the states as well. This is like saying that the 4th amendment isn't applicable to states either and that states can can do warrentless searches without fear of repercussion. If that is what they were teaching in law school then, you should demand a refund.

If the States believed they were subject to the limitations of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights (which was the condition the States insisted upon to join the Union) why are the Amendments written to inhibit the Federal government and not the State governments as well? The earlier interpretations that the Constitution limited the Federal powers is correct. States reserved to themselves (10th Amendment) those powers not specifically granted the Fed in the Constitution.

philibusters

If I may ...

You are correct that the states are definitely bound by the Constitution, but when the Bill of Rights were passed in the 1790's they were understood to apply only to the Federal Government not the state govt's . However things changed after the Civil War. Southern states were denying recently freed states basic rights like the right to vote or own property. The 14th amendment basically says the states cannot limit individual citizens basic liberties. Over time the Supreme Court has ruled that basically part of what the 14th amendment means is that the states cannot deny citizens the rights granted to them in the Bill of Rights like the rights to bear arms, to be free from unreasonable searches and seizures to have a speedy trial.

However, the courts did it piecemeal. Heller was where the courts finally said the 14th amendment made the Second Amendment applicable to the states.

For what its worth the 4th amendment originally wasn't applicable to the states. The 14th amendment made it applicable to the states. There is a consensus among all scholars that when Congress and the states passed the Bill of Rights, they only intended them to be applicable to the states. The debate 10 years ago was basically whether they 14th amendment made the entire Bill of Rights applicable to the states or just some (though Liberals basically advocated all of them except for the second amendment be applicable to the states)

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
But most of the citizens ARE armed

We know Maryland is a politically ####ed up state.------------------------------It's run by Democrats.
We elected a Republican Governor who needs a Democrat legislature . We are working on it.

Our biggest problem here in Md. is that we are too close to DC and our suburbs are filled with refugees,from there
and lefties who fill the Government jobs.

I'm not so sure that MD is as armed as you think. Maryland I believe ranks #42 in gun ownership and about 21% of the population is armed.
And as far as anti gun being something new, you gotta be kidding.
I got involved in 82-83 when The City of Rockville wanted to pass a ammunition lag book law for all retail stores.
But gun restrictions are not new in Maryland, dating back to at least 1886, when the legislature passed a bill stating the only way someone could carry a firearm, concealed or not, was if the person was a public official who needed a firearm as part of their official equipment.

Hijinx

I'm not so sure that MD is as armed as you think. Maryland I believe ranks #42 in gun ownership and about 21% of the population is armed.
And as far as anti gun being something new, you gotta be kidding.
I got involved in 82-83 when The City of Rockville wanted to pass a ammunition lag book law for all retail stores.
But gun restrictions are not new in Maryland, dating back to at least 1886, when the legislature passed a bill stating the only way someone could carry a firearm, concealed or not, was if the person was a public official who needed a firearm as part of their official equipment.

Please we all know Rockville is in Montgomery County --la la land for liberals.
I don't trust figures saying how many guns there are, the smart people lie to hide the fact they own them. Also those who use guns illegally do not say they own them, but Baltimore and PG County are well armed, at least they do a lot of shooting.

black dog

Free America
You know that MD has been keeping handgun paperwork since around 1969, with that volunteer registration thing they have going on..
Nobody in Maryland will take up arms against the State, it's just not going to happen there, hell on a great turnout in Annapolis, maybe 2,000 gun owners will show up to speak and stand against any new antigun laws..

MD nowhere near as armed as you think.. That's why it's ranked in the 40's.
Considering I grew up just outside of the Beltway at the Georgetown Rd exit, graduated from Walter Johnson HS in 76 I'll tell you it wasn't as liberal as you think back then. We had a rifle team in HS , we all carried are rifles to school without a problem in the world. The tide really hadn't changed that much back then.

What I find interesting is that St Mary's is supposed to be so Conservative, but yet today the head of the school system will not let the High School kids along with JROTC have rifle teams. The kids have to go shoot in Charles Co, and maybe Calvert Co, or do 4H.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
We had a rifle team in HS , we all carried are rifles to school without a problem in the world. The tide really hadn't changed that much back then.

My Wife graduated from Montgomery Blair [the old building] in 1984, she too was on the rifle team.
The shooting range was under the basketball court, she kept her .22 Rifle in her locker.

black dog

Free America
My Wife graduated from Montgomery Blair [the old building] in 1984, she too was on the rifle team.
The shooting range was under the basketball court, she kept her .22 Rifle in her locker.

We shot at BBC HS for practice.