Deuteronomy 14 Fish and Fowl

seekeroftruth

Deuteronomy 14:9 Of all the creatures living in the water, you may eat any that has fins and scales. 10 But anything that does not have fins and scales you may not eat; for you it is unclean.

11 You may eat any clean bird. 12 But these you may not eat: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture, 13 the red kite, the black kite, any kind of falcon, 14 any kind of raven, 15 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk, 16 the little owl, the great owl, the white owl, 17 the desert owl, the osprey, the cormorant, 18 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.​

The commentary this morning is from the enduringword.com site.

Only certain sea creatures could be eaten, and the rule was simple. Any water creature having both fins and scales was kosher and could be eaten. Therefore, most fishes were considered clean – except a fish like the catfish, which has no scales. Shellfish would be unclean, because clams, crabs, oysters, and lobster all do not have fins and scales.

Only certain birds could eaten; though there is no rule given to determine if a bird is clean or unclean, the specifically mentioned unclean birds (and flying creeping things) are either predators or scavengers; these were considered unclean.

Among these animals, they fall into one of three categories: predators (unclean because they ate both the flesh and the blood of animals), scavengers (unclean because they were carriers of disease, and they regularly contacted dead bodies), or potentially poisonous or dangerous foods such as shellfish and the like. Eliminating these from the diet of Israel no doubt had a healthy effect, and one of the reasons for the dietary laws of Israel was to keep Israel healthy!​

Well, there are a couple of birds in that list that I hadn't considered until this morning. Now that I've seen their pictures... I don't think I want to eat them anytime soon....

Cormorant
cormorant.jpg

Hoopoe
Hoopoe_with_insect.jpg

Do you have Cormorant or Hoopoe on the menu for this holiday? I didn't think so.... be careful with the crabs and shrimp. [Later in the book we should learn that it's ok to eat crabs or shrimp.....]

:coffee: