Sober drivers busted for DUI by psychic police

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Videos in the link.

Georgia law enforcement officers are now arresting people on the “suspicion” they’re impaired. Now, these new victims of badge abuse are speaking out and warning other drivers about what can happen when they’re being tested by officers with special “Drug Recognition Expert” training.

Katelyn Ebner, the innocent victim in the video, was arrested by officer Tracy Carroll, spent the night in jail, and then spent thousands of dollars and many months trying to prove her innocence, even after all urine and blood tests proved she did not have any illegal or even legal substance in her system.

everybody must get stoned

Monello

PREMO Member
It may not have been a DUI, DWI, or an illegal substance, but something was going on there. Both of the video's I watched, the drivers were having some difficulty navigating their lane.

You are either drunk or sober. You are impaired or you're not. Can't be both. Just like you can't be a little pregnant.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You are either drunk or sober. You are impaired or you're not. Can't be both. Just like you can't be a little pregnant.

That's not what I said. They can't possibly check for everything that a person might consume that would impair their driving. These people were all over their lanes. I don't know why they couldn't stay in their lanes, but the police had every right to be suspicious, and pull them over, to get them off the street. You know-to protect and to serve.

glhs837

Power with Control
It may not have been a DUI, DWI, or an illegal substance, but something was going on there. Both of the video's I watched, the drivers were having some difficulty navigating their lane.

So, the first one, I see where she touched the breakdown lane while line once when there was oncoming, other than that I see no signs of bad driving. Now, Princess, holy crap, that woman drives like crap. But that doesnt men she's impaired. Lots of people drive like crap. But the issue here is that for this cop, since he has this magical power, every problem driver is stoned. The old saying when your only tool is a hammer, all your problems are nails comes to mind.

I would love to test this guy scientifically. Let me do these tests on a group of people, some sober, some stoned. I'll bet his success ratio is for crap.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So, the first one, I see where she touched the breakdown lane while line once when there was oncoming, other than that I see no signs of bad driving. Now, Princess, holy crap, that woman drives like crap. But that doesnt men she's impaired. Lots of people drive like crap. But the issue here is that for this cop, since he has this magical power, every problem driver is stoned. The old saying when your only tool is a hammer, all your problems are nails comes to mind.

I would love to test this guy scientifically. Let me do these tests on a group of people, some sober, some stoned. I'll bet his success ratio is for crap.

Or, you could come from a different perspective. Driver appears to be driving erratically, cop does his due diligence and pulls them over. I see crappy drivers every day, they just don't always have the misfortune of having a cop behind them, or at least one who cares to be bothered to pull them over. Personally, I think this whole article is a slant on cop doing his job. He had some training. He has a certificate that says he passed a course, and the media ran with it, because social justice and all that crap. It's not my fault I can't drive, or some stupid crap. The bottom line here is that the cop did his job, and Princesses all over the country need something else to whine about.

glhs837

Power with Control
Or, you could come from a different perspective. Driver appears to be driving erratically, cop does his due diligence and pulls them over. I see crappy drivers every day, they just don't always have the misfortune of having a cop behind them, or at least one who cares to be bothered to pull them over. Personally, I think this whole article is a slant on cop doing his job. He had some training. He has a certificate that says he passed a course, and the media ran with it, because social justice and all that crap. It's not my fault I can't drive, or some stupid crap. The bottom line here is that the cop did his job, and Princesses all over the country need something else to whine about.

Hmmm, my perspective is that while I love to see prro drivers punished, they should be punished for just that poor driving, not for DUI when they are not in fact guilty of being under the influence. So, if his training was that good, why is he arresting people for DUI when they are not. I wonder what his "hit rate" is against a blood test? I'm all for putting some real teeth into offenses like failure to keep lane and failure to yeild and using video evidence to convict and fine people heavily. But I'm not for Super Trooper using his magic powers to tell when people have engaged in drug use and arresting them for that when there's no real evidence. A bit biased but delves into some of the issues.

http://www.paduiblog.com/pa-dui/the...on-expert-and-why-it-is-designed-for-failure/

One judge thinks there are issues...

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/cct-arc-021c11cd-6de9-5be6-90b6-e1180b02a7ad-20120306-story.html

Monello

PREMO Member
the police had every right to be suspicious, and pull them over, to get them off the street. You know-to protect and to serve.

I have no problem pulling them over. Not sure I agree to arrest & charge someone for a crime that they have not committed.

I have always suspected the police know who the criminals are. They follow them and wait till they have some sort of traffic violation. I read all the time locally how a routine traffic stop had the officer smelling weed, observing a gun or drugs in plain view.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Hmmm, my perspective is that while I love to see prro drivers punished, they should be punished for just that poor driving, not for DUI when they are not in fact guilty of being under the influence. So, if his training was that good, why is he arresting people for DUI when they are not. I wonder what his "hit rate" is against a blood test? I'm all for putting some real teeth into offenses like failure to keep lane and failure to yeild and using video evidence to convict and fine people heavily. But I'm not for Super Trooper using his magic powers to tell when people have engaged in drug use and arresting them for that when there's no real evidence. A bit biased but delves into some of the issues.

http://www.paduiblog.com/pa-dui/the...on-expert-and-why-it-is-designed-for-failure/

One judge thinks there are issues...

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/cct-arc-021c11cd-6de9-5be6-90b6-e1180b02a7ad-20120306-story.html

I'm not trying to defend the program. All I'm saying is that, to me, he appears to be doing his job, based on the laws of GA, and what his boss tells him he needs to do. If the program is "set up" for failure, well, it's not the first. Sadly, idiots who can't drive will pay through the nose until the kinks are worked out, or the program is abandoned. Moral of the story-if you don't know how to drive, you'll suffer the consequences. I had 2 cops come up behind me this morning, less than 10 minutes apart. Neither of them had a reason to pull me over, so they didn't.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I have no problem pulling them over. Not sure I agree to arrest & charge someone for a crime that they have not committed.

I have always suspected the police know who the criminals are. They follow them and wait till they have some sort of traffic violation. I read all the time locally how a routine traffic stop had the officer smelling weed, observing a gun or drugs in plain view.

None of us know exactly what happens to someone else when they're pulled over. I could believe everything I read in a couple of articles, but the media has left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm reluctant to believe most of what I read. There's almost always a slant, to fit someone's agenda, or just to make "the man" look bad. I find it curious that all these "sober" people are spending a national debt trying to prove their innocence, and that's what makes me think that I'm not getting the whole story. Maybe I'm (and the journalist) only getting the part of the story that the "victim" wants me to get.

I just don't think there's a story here, yet.

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm not trying to defend the program. All I'm saying is that, to me, he appears to be doing his job, based on the laws of GA, and what his boss tells him he needs to do. If the program is "set up" for failure, well, it's not the first. Sadly, idiots who can't drive will pay through the nose until the kinks are worked out, or the program is abandoned. Moral of the story-if you don't know how to drive, you'll suffer the consequences. I had 2 cops come up behind me this morning, less than 10 minutes apart. Neither of them had a reason to pull me over, so they didn't.

Seems you want to be in the "If you dont do anything wrong, dont worry about police misbehavior" camp. As I said, I'm all for consequences for poor driving. But that should not include an arrest for a crime you didnt commit. Proof is a wonderful thing. I think the hysteria over drugged driving has spawned consequences that will take a while to sort. But once the tox screen comes back clean, why doesn't the state drop the case?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Seems you want to be in the "If you dont do anything wrong, dont worry about police misbehavior" camp. As I said, I'm all for consequences for poor driving. But that should not include an arrest for a crime you didnt commit. Proof is a wonderful thing. I think the hysteria over drugged driving has spawned consequences that will take a while to sort. But once the tox screen comes back clean, why doesn't the state drop the case?

Like I said, we don't see everything, we don't hear everything that's being said, and we're not in the court room. So, it's not like I can do something, or defend something, when I don't have the whole story. I'm not in any camp, I'm just stating the obvious. You seem to want to turn this into one of us being right and one of us being wrong. Okay. You're right :shrug:

Chris0nllyn

Like I said, we don't see everything, we don't hear everything that's being said, and we're not in the court room. So, it's not like I can do something, or defend something, when I don't have the whole story. I'm not in any camp, I'm just stating the obvious. You seem to want to turn this into one of us being right and one of us being wrong. Okay. You're right :shrug:

I know you have anyone you disagree with on ignore, but the transcript of the stop and audio from the stop is in the other thread on this subject.
http://forums.somd.com/threads/320732-GA-police-drug-recognition-experts