Work for What?

SamSpade

I've seen SOME data claiming this - that illegals will do work Americans won't. But for one thing that's a really stupid idea - "we should allow people to stay here illegally because of the work they'll do".
That's not an argument for being here ILLEGALLY. That just says that some people from Mexico will do jobs everyday Americans won't - it shouldn't have anything to do with immigration status.

Except -

If they're not paying any taxes, then they're making more money than an American would at the same wage.
And I've seen PLENTY of stats showing they're avoiding taxes with stolen SS numbers.
They only use them to get the work - after that, they're not paying.

But the main thing I've noticed is - this argument never squares with any experience I have ever had. I've never seen someone willing to do hard work for a pittance.
I've shoveled raw sewage for minimum wage. I've had to deal with rotten seafood every day on a job where I got paid barely above minimum wage, and raw sewage was a delight in comparison.
When you need money - there ain't no such thing as work you won't do.

Hijinx

It has been said that in order for a person on welfare to break even and go to work would require a job making $50,000 dollars a year

Is it any wonder they do not seek employment?

No one wants to go back to the bad old days of the depression, but todays gravy train of unemployment, welfare, Social Security disability,food stamps,free health care, section 8, and an Obama phone have freed many Americans from hitting a lick to live .