Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Property surveyors question

  1. #11
    Thats how them b*tch's R getbent's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Chaptico
    Posts
    3,843
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    I have lived in a neighborhood were 10 years after initial construction we figured out that all the lots were about 2ft to the left of where the builder had put all the infrastructure. This came up when the one vacant lot was being built on.
    - driveways ended up on the wrong properties
    - sprinkler systems were on the wrong properties
    - flower beds were on the wrong properties.

    A surveyor came out, re-surveyed the 'as built' lots and we all met at the title company to sign a stack of quit-claim deeds and 'covenants not to sue' to adjust the property boundaries to the physical reality. The developer wrote a check to to the owner who 'lost land' in the process. I dont even want to know how much this cost in legal fees as for every property line adjustment, there was a bank and a title insurance company involved.
    Now developments may be different. There's only 4 houses on our road. What a pain in the ass that had to be.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by getbent View Post
    Now developments may be different. There's only 4 houses on our road. What a pain in the ass that had to be.
    It wasn't so bad as the lawyer for the developer did all the legwork. We just told them who our mortgage and title insurance was and they coordinated the rest. Took almost a year to get everyone to sign off on it. We were lucky in that the developer lived a couple of houses down and saw it as his responsibility to fix the mess his contractors had generated (I figure he didn't want to get sued by 8 different title insurance companies).

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by officeguy View Post
    I have lived in a neighborhood were 10 years after initial construction we figured out that all the lots were about 2ft to the left of where the builder had put all the infrastructure. This came up when the one vacant lot was being built on.
    - driveways ended up on the wrong properties
    - sprinkler systems were on the wrong properties
    - flower beds were on the wrong properties.

    A surveyor came out, re-surveyed the 'as built' lots and we all met at the title company to sign a stack of quit-claim deeds and 'covenants not to sue' to adjust the property boundaries to the physical reality. The developer wrote a check to to the owner who 'lost land' in the process. I dont even want to know how much this cost in legal fees as for every property line adjustment, there was a bank and a title insurance company involved.
    That's always "fun". Back in '95 I bought a large commercial operation and the residence right next to it. Discovered after the fact that the property line between the two cut literally right through the side of the commercial building closest to the line. The properties in question were pieces of what had once been a very much larger property, originally deeded in 1884, and all owned by the same extended family. I ended up paying for a new survey for a total of 8 properties with boundary adjustments on at least three of them. Gawd that was a lot of paper and drawings to sign...and expensive too.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    That's always "fun". Back in '95 I bought a large commercial operation and the residence right next to it. Discovered after the fact that the property line between the two cut literally right through the side of the commercial building closest to the line. The properties in question were pieces of what had once been a very much larger property, originally deeded in 1884, and all owned by the same extended family. I ended up paying for a new survey for a total of 8 properties with boundary adjustments on at least three of them. Gawd that was a lot of paper and drawings to sign...and expensive too.
    It's easy enough if the fluckup happened recently, once you go back to colonial descriptions involving creeks or trees to find a property line there is never ending opportunity for excitement.

  5. #15
    Speaking of property lines, did anyone have any dealings with D Horstick when he was working in St Mary's..
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

  6. #16
    OMG, yes we did, geesh. We had no issues but know plenty that did. Care to tell your story ?

  7. #17
    It was expensive for him,
    Quite a few folks around new market turner had problems with David.
    Originally Posted by littlelady View Post
    I just reported you. You are one scary individual.

Members who have read this thread: 88

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |