Ever seen a crab riding a jellyfish? I have

glhs837

Power with Control
No idea how common or uncommon this is. Was 400-500 feet out from St Marys City in the kayak when I saw to symmetrical disturbances in the water, 2 inches apart. So I paddled closer. A 3-4 inch crab on top of a six inch jellyfish. Even too some video. River Uber? Battle to the death? Got me....... I watched for three to four minutes.

Crab on a jellyfish.jpg

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
No idea how common or uncommon this is. Was 400-500 feet out from St Marys City in the kayak when I saw to symmetrical disturbances in the water, 2 inches apart. So I paddled closer. A 3-4 inch crab on top of a six inch jellyfish. Even too some video. River Uber? Battle to the death? Got me....... I watched for three to four minutes.

View attachment 119100

Mounted up our young knight is ready for battle.

Grumpy

It's as Dr Venkman said, mass hysteria, dogs living with cats, human sacrifice, forty years of darkness...etc

glhs837

Power with Control
Is it riding it or is the jelly fish slowly digesting it? :lol:

From what I read, jellyfish eat from the bottom, or where the tentacles are. The front, or arboreal (means "away from the mouth) surface is not where they feed from. And I can say that I didn't see any part of the crab in the jellyfish, it was just on top. might be the crab was feasting on the jellyfish, I cant say.

Wishbone

a crab catching a ride on jellyfish happens more often than you would think.

Google it and you'll find a lot of pics.

Although we think of crabs as always staying on the bottom, younger crabs do swim towards the surface and it's not uncommon for them to rest on any floating object, seaweed, logs...

glhs837

Power with Control
Although we think of crabs as always staying on the bottom, younger crabs do swim towards the surface and it's not uncommon for them to rest on any floating object, seaweed, logs...

Funny you should mention that because coming back in, about 10 feet off the dock, I saw a 2 inch crab swimming along. I stopped to peek at him and he swam under my kayak.

When I lived in NY, we would go out on the boat at night and shine a light on the water to see all the crabs swimming on the surface.

lovinmaryland

When I lived in NY, we would go out on the boat at night and shine a light on the water to see all the crabs swimming on the surface.

When they had the long peir at the navy rec center in solomons they had these super bright lights that shined down on the water. It used to attract the crabs to the surface and we'd just dip them off the top of the water. Didn't take long before we'd have a bushel! One night when there was a red tide it was insane we couldn't scoop them fast enough. Had a bushel in less than an hour.

PJay

Crabbing at night is fun and easy...all you have to do is shine a light and scoop. Some are mating so you can score doubles.

glhs837

Power with Control
[video=youtube_share;xCTK0WSvYz4]https://youtu.be/xCTK0WSvYz4[/video]

After googling that I came to realization that there are some FREAKIN crazy azz jellyfish out there, that thing looks like a frozen nuclear explosion with tentacles.

PeoplesElbow

After googling that I came to realization that there are some FREAKIN crazy azz jellyfish out there, that thing looks like a frozen nuclear explosion with tentacles.

Non translucent jellyfish are creepy looking, they look like something that came out of me after eating some bad fish.