National Examiner cites 5 main groups of Trump supporters.

Sapidus

Do you identify most strongly with one of these groups or more then one? If so why?

"Staunch conservatives" are the largest cluster, making up 31 percent of Trump's voter base. These are traditional Republican types, favoring conservative social and economic policy. Reince Priebus, the career party operative, fits this mold.

The second-largest group is the "free marketeers," at 25 percent. These are your Wall Street types, those with fairly moderate social views and who tend to be pro-free trade and pro-immigration, embodied in the White House by either Ivanka Trump or Gary Cohn, the Goldman Sachs alumnus.

Behind them come the "American preservationists," who are 20 percent of Trump's coalition. Staunch conservatives and free marketeers are fairly typical Republicans, while the American preservationists are far less reliably a part of a GOP coalition. These folks are in many ways economically progressive, with what Ekins calls "a nativist and ethnocultural conception of American identity." Think of them as the Steve Bannon wing of the coalition.

In roughly equal number are simply the "anti-elite," 19 percent of the coalition, holding more moderate immigration and racial views than the American preservationists, but with no less anger at institutions and a sense that Washington isn't working or looking out for people like them. An additional 5 percent, "the disengaged," feel detached generally and do not have many strong preferences."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/theres-no-such-thing-as-trumps-base/article/2626598

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
For all the constant churn of the news cycle and the endless stream of outrage, backlash, and bluster, Trump's job approval numbers have stayed surprisingly stable since his inauguration. From around 44 percent during his "honeymoon" period, Trump's approval numbers are still around 40 percent. For comparison, Barack Obama's approval rating started in the mid-60s, and by late June of his first year, it was approaching the mid-50s. (Still better numbers overall than those enjoyed by President Trump, to be sure.)

Part of this is because of the calcification of views of Trump among Democrats: Trump hasn't lost ground with the Left because he never had ground with them to start with. Obama's numbers fell by a slightly larger amount over his first few months because he enjoyed much more support right at the start from Republicans, support that eroded quickly.

well one true statement .........

But I suspect part of this has to do with the ideological diversity and varied interests of Trump's coalition. A new study out from Democracy Fund's Voter Study Group – a research coalition I was honored to advise – covers a great deal of ground explaining and understanding the who, what, why and how of the 2016 election.

Participants

KARLYN BOWMAN - politically conservative American editor and public opinion analyst
American Enterprise Institute

MICHAEL CROMARTIE
Ethics and Public Policy Center - is a conservative Washington, D.C.-based think tank and advocacy group

MICHAEL DIMOCK
Pew Research Center - a nonpartisan fact tank

LEE DRUTMAN - He writes regularly for Polyarchy, a Vox.com blog
New America - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_America_(organization)

EMILY EKINS - she spent four years as the director of polling for Reason Foundation
Cato Institute

WILLIAM A. GALSTON
Brookings Institution

JOE GOLDMAN
Democracy Fund - funded by Soros Open Society Foundation

ROBERT GRIFFIN
Center for American Progress - The president and chief executive officer of CAP is Neera Tanden, who worked for the Obama and Clinton administrations and for Hillary Clinton's campaigns.

ROBERT P. JONES - the rage of white christian America, the end of white christian America, The Collapse of American Identity, Trump Can't Reverse the Decline of White Christian America
[writes a lot for The Atlantic]
Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI)

TAEKU LEE - professor of political science and professor of law at the University of California, Berkeley.
He is a renowned expert on racial and ethnic politics, Asian American politics and policy, opinion polling and survey research, and election law and political participation.
Asian American Decisions

TOD LINDBERG
Hoover Institution - conservative think tank [neocon]

MICHAEL A. NEEDHAM
Heritage Action for America - conservative policy advocacy organization founded in 2010

HANS NOEL
Georgetown University

HENRY OLSEN
Ethics and Public Policy Center - is a conservative Washington, D.C.-based think tank and advocacy group

ADRIAN D. PANTOJA
Latino Decisions - similar to Asian Decisions

JOHN SIDES
The George Washington University

KRISTEN SOLTIS ANDERSON
Echelon Insights - New Firm Aims To Fix The Chronic Republican Problem Of Bad Polling

RUY TEIXEIRA - writes a lot for The Atlantic
Center for American Progress

ISMAIL WHITE
Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies - They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words
(wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes

DAVID WINSTON - has been an advisor to Senate and House Republican leadership for the past 15 years and was the Director of Planning for then Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich.
The Winston Group

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Vrai cites 1 main group of Democrats:

The women:
batshit2.jpg

The men:
batshit1.jpg

Sapidus

Jesus,

I try to write a post asking if you identify with any of the categories of Trump supporters and ask why you support Trump and you all break down in hysterics rather than try to defend why you support him?

And this story is from a conservative newspaper.

There really is no hope for this country if you are examples of conservative values.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I'm pretty sure thats Michelle Bachman idiot

Jesus,

I try to write a post asking if you identify with any of the categories of Trump supporters and ask why you support Trump and you all break down in hysterics rather than try to defend why you support him?

There really is no hope for this country if you are examples of conservative values.

I like how you jump in with the visceral response before you remember that wanted to seem intellectual. You're kind of like a 12 year old in that way.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Jesus,

Why do you keep trying to put us in a box?
Y'all are in a box..we think for ourselves.......just sayin'

Hijinx

I don't identify with Trump, but I voted for him because I identify with a thieving screw up #### arrogant POS a lot less.

I put people who voted for Hillary and Obama in an idiot box

That's where they belong.

Sapidus

You do realize you all sound and post like a bunch of lunatics.

This article talks about different reasons people had for voting for Trump. I merely asked if any of those things were true for you and you all lose your minds and call
Me all kinds of names.

Sounds like you guys are pretty sensitive about your vote or your motivation for that vote.

You should be able to discuss your ideology reasons for voting for someone without getting angry.

hotbikermama40

This article talks about different reasons people had for voting for Trump. I merely asked if any of those things were true for you and you all lose your minds and call
Me all kinds of names.

Sounds like you guys are pretty sensitive about your vote or your motivation for that vote.

We realize no such thing. In fact, no one "lost their mind"...at all...except for you. If you were looking for intelligent, reasonable discourse, you wouldn't incessantly post the 'baiting' crap that you do. The ONLY thing you're looking for here is to slot us all into categories to fit your close-minded and hypocritical thinking. Is that what it would take to validate who you think you are?

You should be able to discuss your ideology reasons for voting for someone without getting angry.

Correction: In quite a few threads prior to this, we have discussed our ideological reasoning. You should be able to read our posts without feeling threatened; but that is exactly what happens with weak-minded people. If an individual's reason can't be used to be the support for another one's insecure thinking, then it must be wrong, stupid or some sort of evil.

Sapidus

We realize no such thing. In fact, no one "lost their mind"...at all...except for you. If you were looking for intelligent, reasonable discourse, you wouldn't incessantly post the 'baiting' crap that you do. The ONLY thing you're looking for here is to slot us all into categories to fit your close-minded and hypocritical thinking. Is that what it would take to validate who you think you are?

Correction: In quite a few threads prior to this, we have discussed our ideological reasoning. You should be able to read our posts without feeling threatened; but that is exactly what happens with weak-minded people. If an individual's reason can't be used to be the support for another one's insecure thinking, then it must be wrong, stupid or some sort of evil.

Sounds like a lot of hot air to me. You excpect t me to look through all your posts to try to decipher your political theories?

If someone asked me why I prefer one candidate over another or why I voted for a candidate I would tell them.

It's not that hard but Trump sure as heck makes it tough apparently.

Again you are playing the victim. I'm not trying to do anything other than ask why you voted for Trump and if you think this article has any validity but so far no one has been able to answer the question.

SamSpade

Me all kinds of names.

Why? This kind of idiotic categorization is like those things on Facebook that ask "which Harry Potter character are YOU?".
I know why I voted for him, and that's fine with me. I don't "identify" with a group. And I don't have to play your game to make you happy.

And it's much more fun to mock it than to dismiss it, because it's doing the same thing.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I did not vote for Trump, but I support the guy because progressives have gone bat sh it crazy since he was elected.