Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobby Lobby fined $3 million for smuggling looted Iraq antiquities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Here's a better article from the Chicago Tribune.......

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...705-story.html
    102 shot 17 killed
    Black Lives Matter is blatantly hypocritical when it comes to black lives....
    Sappy don't give a #### about that... it's only a bad thing when a cop kills one while breaking the law.

They can kill each other by the thousands for decades to come and he won't look up from his sippy cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapidus View Post
    No one cares about your faith until it becomes blatantly hypocritical in cases such as this
    So, it is about their faith. If they were a non-Christian business or group that made the same mistake, this wouldn't be news would it?

I will grant you there is the possibility the money spent on these antiquities could have ended up in the hands of terrorists, but I will argue that it was a conscious choice by Hobby Lobby to "smuggle" these artifacts into the country. It seems someone didn't fully know the law in regards to purchasing protected antiquities. Per the article:

"The company was new to the world of acquiring these items and did not fully appreciate the complexities of the acquisitions process," Hobby Lobby said in a statement. "This resulted in some regrettable mistakes."
    Two things:

1) The owner of Hobby lobby was establishing a Bible museum
    2) They bought the artifacts in an attempt to prevent the looting of these artifacts in the war-torn region. Given ISIS and al Qaeda's pursuit to destroy anything-Christian, Steve Green (owner of Hobby Lobby) attempted to protect the artifacts.

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future.

I'd say the actions of Hobby Lobby are the opposite of hypocritical.
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post
    So, it is about their faith. If they were a non-Christian business or group that made the same mistake, this wouldn't be news would it?

I will grant you there is the possibility the money spent on these antiquities could have ended up in the hands of terrorists, but I will argue that it was a conscious choice by Hobby Lobby to "smuggle" these artifacts into the country. It seems someone didn't fully know the law in regards to purchasing protected antiquities. Per the article:

Two things:

2) They bought the artifacts in an attempt to prevent the looting of these artifacts in the war-torn region. Given ISIS and al Qaeda's pursuit to destroy anything-Christian, Steve Green (owner of Hobby Lobby) attempted to protect the artifacts.

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future.

Sure sounds that way.

Lurking in the background in flat, humid Fl
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem72 View Post
    Setting aside the religious aspects, which aren't really relevant. There was no "might have been", it was more "these are definitely looted, but you probably won't get caught".
    Yes, it does mean relevant.
    "In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." John Adams

No one cares about your faith until it becomes blatantly hypocritical in cases such as this
    where is the hypocrisy in y9our tiny little mind
    Weíre tempted to suggest a conspiracy here ó but itís just liberals agreeing yet again that conservatives have hidden, evil motives, because modern liberals simply canít conceive of any other reason to disagree with the liberal consensus.

[QUOTE=PsyOps;5786300]So, it is about their faith. If they were a non-Christian business or group that made the same mistake, this wouldn't be news would it?

Yes. Indeed it would still be news. It just wouldn't be quite as ironic.

"According to prosecutors, Hobby Lobby was warned by its own expert that acquiring antiquities from Iraq carries "considerable risk" because so many of the artifacts in circulation are stolen. " They were well aware of the risk and chose to ignore it

Two things:

1) The owner of Hobby lobby was establishing a Bible museum So what?

They "agreed" to pay the fine, realizing the mistake they made. THAT'S the Christian thing to do: admit your mistake, willingly pay the consequences, learn from the mistake, vow to do all you can to not make that mistake again in the future. " Really, thats what you take from this? When you are being investigated by federal prosecutors its often times smart to agree to a fine in lieu of further investigation and prosecution" They didn't call the prosecutors office and volunteer the information, They were under investigation

As to the above claim the investigation didnt have anything to do with the museum according to investigators not that it would excuse his behavior if it did.

Hobby Lobby and the Museum of the Bible are not identical, though Steve Green is president of the former and chairman of the board of the latter. The federal charges have to do with Hobby Lobby—the Museum of the Bible appears nowhere in any of the documents. “The artifacts that were referred to were never in our collection,” said one Museum of the Bible administrator in response to yesterday’s news.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/o...artifacts.html

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by PsyOps View Post

Two things:

Cat got your tongue?

Cat got your tongue?
    Still being a coward?
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 72