Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a couple of driving rants

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I've seen countless people do this coming out of the WAWA on 301 in Upper Marlboro. Even a few tractor trailers on occasion.
    Since quickly changing lanes could cause problems, the only thing one can do is and slow down.
    If all you are gonna do is give me grief about what I post DON'T READ IT Heh? Have a nice day :-D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glhs837 View Post
    Dickheads, that's why.
    This gets my vote.

Also, left lane campers - who are almost always women or old people - who seem oblivious to the cars rushing by them on the right because they are going 10 mph below the speed limit.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

I think that many people don't really try to maintain a speed. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I almost always want to set the cruise control during a drive, even a short one. Definitely on my 42 mile drive to work (from the 'dorf area to Pax). I set it at the same not-too-dangerous +7 mph. That gives me a chance to see many people who don't maintain a set speed. I will slowly pass somebody, and before I can move back over into the right lane, they speed up 10 mph. OK, I move back over to the right lane behind them. Then a minute later, they are going slower than me again. Maybe if I didn't have cruise control, I'd drive like them....
    pizza...peeska

Quote Originally Posted by John Z View Post
    I think that many people don't really try to maintain a speed. Perhaps I'm unusual, but I almost always want to set the cruise control during a drive, even a short one. Definitely on my 42 mile drive to work (from the 'dorf area to Pax). I set it at the same not-too-dangerous +7 mph. That gives me a chance to see many people who don't maintain a set speed. I will slowly pass somebody, and before I can move back over into the right lane, they speed up 10 mph. OK, I move back over to the right lane behind them. Then a minute later, they are going slower than me again. Maybe if I didn't have cruise control, I'd drive like them....
    Something I forgot to add to my post is that I, too, use my cruise control. If i don't I find myself going much faster than I want to go. So, I know I'm maintaining a constant speed. I also don't linger in the left lane. When I pass, I do so quickly. I will speed up substantially just to get around the person and get out of the left lane. But, like you, I have had it happen to me countless times that the person I am passing will speed up, as if to say "oh no, you're not passing me".
    "Never let the old man in." - Clint Eastwood quoting an old friend

If I may ...

When leaving Calvert via rt4 at o'dark thirty, cruise is set at 55, in the right lane. The further north, I go as the day gets brighter comes the onslaught of the rush. Aside from the occasional slower right lane driver, I rarely have to alter my course. It is fun to watch the yahoo's jockey. Shorting my drive by 10-15 minutes is not worth the stress.
    If the military wanted you to have a spouse, or family, they would have issued you one.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRoasted View Post
    If I may ...

When leaving Calvert via rt4 at o'dark thirty, cruise is set at 55, in the right lane. The further north, I go as the day gets brighter comes the onslaught of the rush. Aside from the occasional slower right lane driver, I rarely have to alter my course. It is fun to watch the yahoo's jockey. Shorting my drive by 10-15 minutes is not worth the stress.
    You always struck me as "that guy".
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post

Also, left lane campers - who are almost always women or old people - who seem oblivious to the cars rushing by them on the right because they are going 10 mph below the speed limit.
    A "practice" that has been made illegal in many states now...hopefully in MD too, eventually.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    A "practice" that has been made illegal in many states now...hopefully in MD too, eventually.
    I like the European (or more specifically, German) model. They're about as quick to move out of your way as they are to pass you.
    Crybaby Cripplecrow Hanging on a Monkey's Toe Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Texas has had that law forever and durhards still do it. They even have signs all over the highways in case you didn't know, forgot, or are too obtuse to get your slow ass over.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0nllyn View Post
    I like the European (or more specifically, German) model. They're about as quick to move out of your way as they are to pass you.
    Having driven over there quite a bit myself, yes, they know how to do it right. Fails are usually horrific too.
    You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -Frank Zappa

Members who have read this thread: 155